Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I’ve been a member for a while and thought it’s time to do an intro.

Bought a 2019 SR5 DC long bed last year to haul an ATV in the bed and tow our 21’ travel trailer. I am very pleased with how well my Tundra hauls all of this at 1,300 lbs under maximum combined weight rating.

I am almost finished with mods, currently working on de-chroming the front end now and waiting for delivery of color matched hood insert, grill (Magnetic Gray Metallic), and emblem. After this I’ll have the front and rear chrome bumper end caps covered with black LineX.

So far I’ve installed towing mirrors, rear airbags, 3/1 leveling, rims & tires, Bushwacker fender flares, and wider mud flaps to save the paint from road debris.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Impressive, nice looking long bed. Keep us posted on how all the towing and hauling goes! Do you do anything different with services, oil, etc. given all the towing? Any upgrades to brake system, or is the stock system adequate for the towing capacity? I never tow stuff, but it's good to learn! Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impressive, nice looking long bed. Keep us posted on how all the towing and hauling goes! Do you do anything different with services, oil, etc. given all the towing? Any upgrades to brake system, or is the stock system adequate for the towing capacity? I never tow stuff, but it's good to learn! Enjoy!
It’s all still stock drivetrain and breaking system. I’ve been towing with it fully loaded for over a year and a half without a single problem. I tow approximately 15-20 trips a year, roughly weeklong trips, and change fluids as scheduled in the manual for normal driving. So at only 20k miles, with exception of engine oil/filter, I haven’t reached any of the other scheduled fluid changes. When they do come due I’ll be looking diligently at fluid condition to determine if I need to revise any of those scheduled intervals.
Once I learned it tows best in 4th gear to minimize shifting, I can maintain 65-70 mph up and down high mountain passes without it downshifting to 3rd and into the 4000 rpm range very often. This got me up to an average 9.4 MPG fully loaded which I can’t complain about. Engine temperature gauge barely moves even in 90° - 100° outside air temperatures. The only concern I have is transmission cooling. I’ve only had the trans fluid high temp light come on when in 4low crawling up a rocky 35° slope with just my 900# ATV in the back. From reading about it on different forums the most common scenario to trip the light seems to be at low speeds in 4low where the trans cooler inside the engine radiator can’t cool the trans fluid sufficiently due to insufficient airflow thru the radiator. I was going to jump on Hayden 778 transmission cooler/kit from Genuine Cooling Systems but decided to hold off on the $750 kit and monitor trans temperatures over the winter thru mid-summer and see if it’s warranted. Thus I just bought a Veepeak OBD2 BLE and OBD Fusion app to read real time trans temperatures. I’m unsure if it can actually read both trans pan fluid and torque converter fluid temperatures, but I’ll know in a few days when I have time to set it up and tinker with it. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up installing the trans cooler kit anyway for the simple fact that a cooler transmission will undoubted last longer. There’s allot of hope in the Tundra community that Toyota will come to their senses and do a recall for installation of an external trans coolers. Toyota probably won’t do that until right after I’ve finished my install tho :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s all still stock drivetrain and breaking system. I’ve been towing with it fully loaded for over a year and a half without a single problem. I tow approximately 15-20 trips a year, roughly weeklong trips, and change fluids as scheduled in the manual for normal driving. So at only 20k miles, with exception of engine oil/filter, I haven’t reached any of the other scheduled fluid changes. When they do come due I’ll be looking diligently at fluid condition to determine if I need to revise any of those scheduled intervals.
Once I learned it tows best in 4th gear to minimize shifting, I can maintain 65-70 mph up and down high mountain passes without it downshifting to 3rd and into the 4000 rpm range very often. This got me up to an average 9.4 MPG fully loaded which I can’t complain about. Engine temperature gauge barely moves even in 90° - 100° outside air temperatures. The only concern I have is transmission cooling. I’ve only had the trans fluid high temp light come on when in 4low crawling up a rocky 35° slope with just my 900# ATV in the back. From reading about it on different forums the most common scenario to trip the light seems to be at low speeds in 4low where the trans cooler inside the engine radiator can’t cool the trans fluid sufficiently due to insufficient airflow thru the radiator. I was going to jump on Hayden 778 transmission cooler/kit from Genuine Cooling Systems but decided to hold off on the $750 kit and monitor trans temperatures over the winter thru mid-summer and see if it’s warranted. Thus I just bought a Veepeak OBD2 BLE and OBD Fusion app to read real time trans temperatures. I’m unsure if it can actually read both trans pan fluid and torque converter fluid temperatures, but I’ll know in a few days when I have time to set it up and tinker with it. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up installing the trans cooler kit anyway for the simple fact that a cooler transmission will undoubted last longer. There’s allot of hope in the Tundra community that Toyota will come to their senses and do a recall for installation of an external trans coolers. Toyota probably won’t do that until right after I’ve finished my install tho :)

Very Nice! Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome from So Cal

Reactions: Tony P
1 - 9 of 9 Posts