Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just picked up an F350 w/ the 6.7. It puts out 800 ft lbs of torque. Really ford? really? I wanna know if anyone has track times on those things. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 400 Toyota ft lbs. over 800 ford ft lbs. any day of the week. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
No, haven't tried.
Real torque applied to the wheels is closer to 670ft-lbs stock configuration (with the PCM reflash). RPM will change depending if the rear end is the 3.31:1 or 3.55:1.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, haven't tried.
Real torque applied to the wheels is closer to 670ft-lbs stock configuration (with the PCM reflash). RPM will change depending if the rear end is the 3.31:1 or 3.55:1.
From what you remember, do you think your '11 F350 would be quicker than your Tundra was (1/4 mile)? Did your tundra have the 4.30 or the 4.10 gears?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Probably fairly slow actually. Diesels are immensely powerful beasts but their power deliver isn't set up for the strip. At least not from factory. Not to mention the fricken things weigh in the 7-8000 pound range depending on configuration. A Tundra will in all likelihood out-run a bone stock F350 apples to apples all day long. The F350 will probably pull a house off it's foundation and not be any worse for the wear but it will not be going all Fast and Furious on anybody. It should do reasonably well in its lightest configurations but that's about it and even then it still won't be anything incredible on the strip.

Now tune that bad boy and it's a whole different story.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
From what you remember, do you think your '11 F350 would be quicker than your Tundra was (1/4 mile)? Did your tundra have the 4.30 or the 4.10 gears?
4.30:1 rear diff, and no, I do not think it would be faster off the line:
5000lbs vs. 8096lbs curb weight
Stock PCM programming on the 6.7 limits fuel delivery until the turbo has spooled up. It's drive by wire like everything else these days and your foot is not directly controlling anything. While the turbo spools faster than any past turbodiesel in a F-series, it still takes a few half-seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I will admit, if I had a need for a truck larger than 1/2 ton, it would be a Ford. Man those F250s and F350s are nice looking wheels! I think if I had that kind of power I'd be pulling things off foundations and trees out of the ground, just cause I could. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I sold my F250 Turbo Diesel to buy the Tundra, the Tundra is waaaay quicker. But it brought a pea shooter to a missile fight when it comes to towing. Those diesels are no joke for towing, I had 800 lb. ft. of torque at the rear wheels with a flash and 4" turbo back exhaust. Stand on the peddle, listen to the glorious turbo wind up for a second or two, and then ride that crazy rocketship for all its worth haha. Fun truck, but damn I was tired of paying $125 every week to fill it up.

It got better MPG than my Tundra too, but diesel here sucks pricewise.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will admit, if I had a need for a truck larger than 1/2 ton, it would be a Ford. Man those F250s and F350s are nice looking wheels! I think if I had that kind of power I'd be pulling things off foundations and trees out of the ground, just cause I could. :)
I am undecided on the look of the new Superduty rigs. They seem to be disproportionately big in front. I bet they were modeling the front clip off a tractor/trailer. And I can see why what with the 800 ft. lbs and all. But they kinda remind me of a person with a huge head. But I bet you could change that with some 33's and a nice flatbed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 has 850 ft lb of torque........With a standard six-speed manual transmission, maximum output from the big diesel mill is 350 horsepower and 610 lb-ft of torque. Selecting the optional six-speed auto ups torque to a truly beastly 850 lb-ft.......

·
Registered
86 Posts
I though about buying a turbo diesel before the tundra. But when I found out that you could get a blower for the tundra and saw the times they where running in the quarter plus the sub 4 sec 0-60 times with a full factory backed warranty I was sold!

To get the new 6.7 diesel F250-F350 to even run close to a supercharged tundra you need alot more than just a tuner.

DPF needs to go along with exh mods, a cold air package with a hot 310 or 350 tune. At that point you will hang with a blown tundra but not for long cause your trans will take a crap. Plus you can say bye bye to your drivetrain warranty on your new 50K plus truck along with not passing any emissions if you live in a state that requires it as I do.

Stock for stock though the tundra will walk away from a F250-F350 but if he mods it and is willing to void his drivetrain warranty you will need to join the supercharged club

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I though about buying a turbo diesel before the tundra. But when I found out that you could get a blower for the tundra and saw the times they where running in the quarter plus the sub 4 sec 0-60 times with a full factory backed warranty I was sold!

To get the new 6.7 diesel F250-F350 to even run close to a supercharged tundra you need alot more than just a tuner.

DPF needs to go along with exh mods, a cold air package with a hot 310 or 350 tune. At that point you will hang with a blown tundra but not for long cause your trans will take a crap. Plus you can say bye bye to your drivetrain warranty on your new 50K plus truck along with not passing any emissions if you live in a state that requires it as I do.

Stock for stock though the tundra will walk away from a F250-F350 but if he mods it and is willing to void his drivetrain warranty you will need to join the supercharged club
OK. So I live in Michigan and In this region, it is very difficult to obtain a 5.7 that is not flex fuel. So I got hosed with the FF. I know that the Supercharger voids the warranty on my engine, but why? I have heard that it OK as long as you dont run Cornahol through the S/C. So when if I didn't care about the warranty (theoretically) could I run the blower as long as I keep running petro gas?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think my 05 f350 with a 120hp tune was about in line maybe slightly faster (proly just felt it from the 35psi slamming you in your seat) than my tundra.. stock, wouldn't have stood a chance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
^^^I don't know about a sub 4 second 0-60, but I agree these Tundras are meant to be supercharged :D
Sorry I ment to say sub 5sec, my mistake

My best 0-60 to date is 4.3 Thats with a quarter tank of gas spare removed 50 degree temps outside leaving in 4wd just mashing the throttle off idle to flash the converter and all nannies disabled of course. My truck is a dc with the 430 gears and stock size tires and stock trd rims.

Hell I remember car and driver or motor trend mag a couple of years ago (before I bought mine) got a 4.7 or so 0-60 in a crew cab truck with the 410 gears in one of there tests of a supercharged tundra. I remember reading that and saying holy crap sub 5 sec 0-60 with low thirteen sec quarter mile times in a crew cab truck with a full factory backed warranty!! Sign me up!!!

And nova_gts, yes you will beat a non sc tundra on your 120 tune. But to even hang with a sc one you will need a hot 310 or better tune and be willing to risk the overheated egt's and mabe even trashing your trans! Go Find someone with a 4wd sc tundra and let them do a 4wd launch from a stop, Im sure it has the same if not more gforce as your 35psi launch.

·
Registered
501 Posts
And nova_gts, yes you will beat a non sc tundra on your 120 tune. But to even hang with a sc one you will need a hot 310 or better tune and be willing to risk the overheated egt's and mabe even trashing your trans! Go Find someone with a 4wd sc tundra and let them do a 4wd launch from a stop, Im sure it has the same if not more gforce as your 35psi launch.
I would love to find one and go for a ride - the main plus and the reason I dont have the f3shitty any more is the toyota wont break down... YAY!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to find one and go for a ride - the main plus and the reason I dont have the f3shitty any more is the toyota wont break down... YAY!
From your lips to God's ears. The Big 3 have finally started making better cars and now they are squandering the lead they have had for years in the Heavy Duty truck market. My Uncle owns a towing service and he says he would NOT buy any of the diesel offerings from the Big 3. And this guy is a die hard Big 3 guy. He says he's pulling them broke down off the road constantly ever since they changed the emissions regulations. I'll take 400 ft lbs. that works over 800 ft lbs. that's sitting up on a hoist any day of the week.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's actually pretty true, my buddy and I both had diesel F250s, my tranny was going, and he blew up 3 turbos, it started spewing gas in the parking lot once, an entire tank in 5 mins, and a blown head stud, and he didn't even have a tune!

I got a tundra and he got an eco boost. He's a little worried about it towing, but we're both way happier not worrying about those piece of shit diesels anymore.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
From your lips to God's ears. The Big 3 have finally started making better cars and now they are squandering the lead they have had for years in the Heavy Duty truck market. My Uncle owns a towing service and he says he would NOT buy any of the diesel offerings from the Big 3. And this guy is a die hard Big 3 guy. He says he's pulling them broke down off the road constantly ever since they changed the emissions regulations. I'll take 400 ft lbs. that works over 800 ft lbs. that's sitting up on a hoist any day of the week.
The changes due to emissions regulations, both the on-vehicle equipment and the fuel formulation is hard on fleets and their managers. For light duty class 2-3 a lot of them have decided to go back to gasoline powered trucks because the advantage isn't there anymore, cost of Diesel fuel (extra processing refining to meet 0.0015% spec vs. byproduct as in the past), cost of maintenance now with added maintenance items (from needing less maintenance than a gasser to more maintenance), high initial cost of vehicle, perceived lack of longevity (due to complexity). It's affecting the class 4 and up medium duties and tractor units too now, then throughout the next decade, locomotives, marine vessels, and stationary power plants.
Some people believe that once the changes are fully implemented and the cost of development and implementation have been recovered and the technology is improved, then we will start seeing better value again. We're just in an awkward transition period right now. I wasn't around during the leaded gasoline era but people that were, compare the current Diesel fuel transition to the old leaded/unleaded gasoline transition... where similar issues occurred, vehicles designed to run on the old fuel did not fare well on the new 'cleaner' fuel. But today you never hear about those issues, and the 'unleaded gasoline only' label on modern vehicles is kinda strange to see.

In a fleet, every dollar is multiplied by however many vehicles there are, dozens or hundreds. It's a different way of thinking compared to buying your own personal vehicle where you are only purchasing a single unit and you get what you want whether or not it's really the best value.

I've had long discussions with corporation vehicle fleet managers and it's very insightful... while a lot of us just like to keep up to speed with truck and automotive technology (on places such as here), they HAVE to analyze this stuff professionally as part of their duties.

Heh, blown turbos, failed injectors, sounds like my 2004 6.0L... I'll get to fixing it eventually, some day, it's waiting in the garage for me.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The 6.7 is a different beast, but in stock form, its slower than the 5.7.

Put 10,000 lb trailers behind them and the 5.7 won't be so hot though.

As for the Dodge...the 6MT gets 650 ft lbs of torque while the 6AT gets the 800. There isn't an 850 version of the Cummins yet.

Ford has the biggest stick when it comes to engine. GM has the fastest empty truck because of they weigh less.

A tuned diesel is faster than a Tundra. Adding the right tuner to the older generation 6.4 will put down some good 1/4 mile times, but then you have a truck that's a race truck and not a tow truck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts