Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
you would want this type of X pipe:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...YsdPUfqpIsXfyAHorYFY&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAQ&dur=1400

not this type:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=YsdPUfqpIsXfyAHorYFY&ved=0CEUQ9QEwBQ&dur=658

The first type "allows" the 2 banks of exhaust to equalize and actually cross flow to the bank which has least pressure. The second type constantly "forces" the 2 banks together instead of "allowing" them to equalize depending on pressure.

Problem with the first type (pic above) is that the internal cut out is as large as the width of the tubing. It's much better at not "forcing" the 2 banks together than the second pic above, but still not as good as if you just cut small slits in each 90 before welding them together. When small slits are cut at the X over not only do you get more flow/velocity before and after the X, the sound is different too. It's more 'race car' toned. Where it sounds like it's turning 50% more revs. so at 3000rpm it sounds like it's turning 4500rpm. And the top end hp doesn't fall on it's face as bad, basically it helps with low end torque and top end hp.

This type of set up is a great compliment to a set of long tube headers. On a stock manifold truck you notice the low end torque loss more than you notice any gains up top. Here's an example of a bolt in true duals with X pipe for a 2010+

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've track tested a 5.7L with an X and an H, there was absolutely no difference in times. This was tested on a Naturally Aspirated 5.7L that ran slicks and very consistent 9.2 sec. 1/8 mile we have no 1/4 mile in SoCal.

It was 9.2 sec. either way and that was his brick wall, so he installed a turbo. :lol5:

but in the mean time, I can say that running true duals on a stock manifold, stock catted truck will lose a lot of low end torque.

The pic above with the AeroTurbine exhaust looks great!! That works real well on a stock manifold truck.

Here's how I set em up with a muffler that releases it's backpressure right at your engines peak volumetric efficiency:

Untitled by bamufflers, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Would i be better running H PIPE or not connecting them at all? Instead of doing the X. Cause i dont want to loose low end torque at all not to worried about HP gains but want people to hear me coming, the Super 40 is quiet. Plus i want equal back pressure under its own doing, not forcing it
The X sounds better IMO

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Dirtydeeds in the last pic of the exhaust that has the two pipes true dual setup exiting before the rear tire it has this description. This type of set up is a great complimentto a setof long tubeheaders. On a stock manifold truck you notice the low end torque loss more than you notice any gains up top. Here's an example of a bolt in true duals with X pipe 2010 + . How much would this set up cost I have a 2012 crew max cab 5.7 supercharged with Doug thorly long tubes and no cats. I know there's not much room for the two pipes to exit but I also don't mind if they exit by the rear door either.
there's plenty of room to exit just before and after the front leaf spring hanger. My jig has a small crossmember that i can bolt on to 'place' the two tailpipes in the correct spot on the truck.

The true dual system in the pic above would be the ultimate system for your set up. It's $749 with free shipping during the month of March (free shipping is the group buy going on right now)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts