Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as if now i have a dual in/ out flowmaster super 40. Was thinking of an exhaust that ive only heard on one tundra and it was on the youtube. The exhaust im thinking of is SLP Loudmouth mufflers with an X pipe from Jegs. What do you guys think? I want louder then what i have now and im and not buying flowmaster again!:mad:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Do it! First time ive heard that and it sounds real good. Giving me thoughts cuz im losing way too much gas and low end power with no muffler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
you would want this type of X pipe:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...YsdPUfqpIsXfyAHorYFY&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAQ&dur=1400

not this type:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=YsdPUfqpIsXfyAHorYFY&ved=0CEUQ9QEwBQ&dur=658

The first type "allows" the 2 banks of exhaust to equalize and actually cross flow to the bank which has least pressure. The second type constantly "forces" the 2 banks together instead of "allowing" them to equalize depending on pressure.

Problem with the first type (pic above) is that the internal cut out is as large as the width of the tubing. It's much better at not "forcing" the 2 banks together than the second pic above, but still not as good as if you just cut small slits in each 90 before welding them together. When small slits are cut at the X over not only do you get more flow/velocity before and after the X, the sound is different too. It's more 'race car' toned. Where it sounds like it's turning 50% more revs. so at 3000rpm it sounds like it's turning 4500rpm. And the top end hp doesn't fall on it's face as bad, basically it helps with low end torque and top end hp.

This type of set up is a great compliment to a set of long tube headers. On a stock manifold truck you notice the low end torque loss more than you notice any gains up top. Here's an example of a bolt in true duals with X pipe for a 2010+

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Try it...

Are you doing it yourself?

I did an AeroTurbine and I was the first on here, I love it, it is loud at times in the drone range, not really droney, but ephing loud... Then when it is under throttle I have gotten compliments from yota haters that it is badass sounding...

I love mine, but I did it myself so if it sucked it was my doing...
I have heard slp loudmouths before but I don't think on tundra, def not in person, maybe online and online sounds are limited by the camera, puter, and sound system attached to that puter...

I love my exhaust...

I should attach the tip I want to add a barble tone, and maybe a helmholtz chamber to deaden said loudness at dronish rpm...

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Would i be better running H PIPE or not connecting them at all? Instead of doing the X. Cause i dont want to loose low end torque at all not to worried about HP gains but want people to hear me coming, the Super 40 is quiet. Plus i want equal back pressure under its own doing, not forcing it

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think you should follow deeds' words. Go for that X, unless deeds says otherwise and can make you a good H. Listen to deeds, very smart guy about performance.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
I've track tested a 5.7L with an X and an H, there was absolutely no difference in times. This was tested on a Naturally Aspirated 5.7L that ran slicks and very consistent 9.2 sec. 1/8 mile we have no 1/4 mile in SoCal.

It was 9.2 sec. either way and that was his brick wall, so he installed a turbo. :lol5:

but in the mean time, I can say that running true duals on a stock manifold, stock catted truck will lose a lot of low end torque.

The pic above with the AeroTurbine exhaust looks great!! That works real well on a stock manifold truck.

Here's how I set em up with a muffler that releases it's backpressure right at your engines peak volumetric efficiency:

Untitled by bamufflers, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Would i be better running H PIPE or not connecting them at all? Instead of doing the X. Cause i dont want to loose low end torque at all not to worried about HP gains but want people to hear me coming, the Super 40 is quiet. Plus i want equal back pressure under its own doing, not forcing it
The X sounds better IMO

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dirtydeeds in the last pic of the exhaust that has the two pipes true dual setup exiting before the rear tire it has this description. This type of set up is a great complimentto a setof long tubeheaders. On a stock manifold truck you notice the low end torque loss more than you notice any gains up top. Here's an example of a bolt in true duals with X pipe 2010 + . How much would this set up cost I have a 2012 crew max cab 5.7 supercharged with Doug thorly long tubes and no cats. I know there's not much room for the two pipes to exit but I also don't mind if they exit by the rear door either.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Dirtydeeds in the last pic of the exhaust that has the two pipes true dual setup exiting before the rear tire it has this description. This type of set up is a great complimentto a setof long tubeheaders. On a stock manifold truck you notice the low end torque loss more than you notice any gains up top. Here's an example of a bolt in true duals with X pipe 2010 + . How much would this set up cost I have a 2012 crew max cab 5.7 supercharged with Doug thorly long tubes and no cats. I know there's not much room for the two pipes to exit but I also don't mind if they exit by the rear door either.
there's plenty of room to exit just before and after the front leaf spring hanger. My jig has a small crossmember that i can bolt on to 'place' the two tailpipes in the correct spot on the truck.

The true dual system in the pic above would be the ultimate system for your set up. It's $749 with free shipping during the month of March (free shipping is the group buy going on right now)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've track tested a 5.7L with an X and an H, there was absolutely no difference in times. This was tested on a Naturally Aspirated 5.7L that ran slicks and very consistent 9.2 sec. 1/8 mile we have no 1/4 mile in SoCal.

It was 9.2 sec. either way and that was his brick wall, so he installed a turbo. :lol5:

but in the mean time, I can say that running true duals on a stock manifold, stock catted truck will lose a lot of low end torque.

The pic above with the AeroTurbine exhaust looks great!! That works real well on a stock manifold truck.

Here's how I set em up with a muffler that releases it's backpressure right at your engines peak volumetric efficiency:

Untitled by bamufflers, on Flickr
"Engine's peak volumetric efficiency?" What's that - peak torque or HP? Around 5200 RPM? OK - SLP Loudmouth mufflers...............let's see - how much different will it sound than say a Dynomax Bullet, or a Flowmaster single chamber? You are trying to re-invent the wheel here - there have been SO many different variations guys have tried on these trucks, & still no "silver bullet" as it were. Also - X-pipes vs. H-pipes - which makes more power? Well, while I was with Tenneco (Dynomax/Walker) I was working with a couple guys from Ford that spent a year wringing-out the H-pipe vs. X-pipe dilemma. They finally concluded the following: gains in HP anywhere from ZERO to maybe 5 HP - both ways. Sometimes a run yielded a favor to the X, sometimes the H had an advantage. In conclusion, use which sounds better to you. Yes an advantage in going with a crossover on a dual exhaust setup to help equalize pressures between both banks, so on dual exhaust systems, I like to use an H. That being said, I have heard some clips of Tundras with X's & I like the way they sound.

I will say this, if you want a unique tone to your Tundras, use mufflers that "tune" the sound, not just make it louder. SLP Loudmouths, Dynomax Bullets & Ultra Flows, & Magnaflows do NOT do sound tuning. Look at the internals & the way the muffler is designed to move the soundwaves around.

·
Registered
286 Posts
there's plenty of room to exit just before and after the front leaf spring hanger. My jig has a small crossmember that i can bolt on to 'place' the two tailpipes in the correct spot on the truck.

The true dual system in the pic above would be the ultimate system for your set up. It's $749 with free shipping during the month of March (free shipping is the group buy going on right now)
Ok sounds good Deeds I really love the look of the two pipes exiting right before the rear tire I will make sure to let you know and will get in touch once I can afford it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm waiting for my warranty to expire before I change from the original single exhaust to a duel system. I had put a tip on my exhaust and it changed the sound but the tip didn't last, it rusted out way too quickly.
Thanks for the great pictures.
Mac

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.