Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I got my 12' CM in March, can't say enough good things about this truck!:)

I came from Dodge Diesels, and to be honest with you, don't miss it at all. The repairs and cost of said repairs. I also didn't like working on my truck every week. That brought on the suck.

Anyway, my truck is going to stay stockish until around 40k miles and then I may just SC it for the heck of it. I have towed 7500 lbs behind my truck so far and I was pleasantly very surprised. This was around town and some freeway. The real test will be on the Colorado mountain passes, but I'm thinking the Tundra will handle the tasks just fine.
I have read a lot of people complain about fuel economy, but I was very happy with what I get (16+ empty) and not the added fuel costs and headaches of diesel fuel. I think it is a win win for sure.

Anyway, some of the hobbies are:
Corvette's, can't wait for some good weather and get some laps in this year.
Jeeps, love rock crawling. Right now my TJ is going through a major build with one ton axles, 40" sticky tires, atlas t-case...etc.

Looking forward to learning about our great trucks and hoping for years of trouble free ownership like all my other Toyotas over the years. So far so good. 3500 miles in 1.5 months and I didn't have to get under the truck or hood once...lol. Can't say the same about my diesels.

· Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western PA. Congrats on your Tundra. My father-in-law has Dodge (not Ram) dually and the repair cost on that thing is tremendous. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

· Registered
956 Posts
Welcome from the springs as well.
I can't wait for this bipolar weather to stop either so I can play with my fun vehicle!

· Registered
956 Posts
Which one? Lol, you have a lot too!! Careful on the motorcycle, one of my friends just downed his 1000cc sport bike. Those high sides can hurt.
Lol I only have my bike and my Forester. But yeah those crashes definitely don't feel good! Is he OK?

If he needs help with the bike just let me know. Bike mechanic by training and trade here Lol.
Out of curiosity do you ever run the Vette on the streets for fun?

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that is very cool of you. I will let him know. His bike isn't bad, plastics took a beating.

The Vette is my daily driver, so I'm out with it a lot. I try to keep my head on the streets, I play a little. I try to keep it to High Plains Raceway.

· Registered
7,534 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 Tundra to get out from under my cummins. it's amazing what a great reputation those POS's have. i practically have to work on it as much as I drive it to keep it on the road. I can't wait to get it to run again so that I can get rid of the POS LOL.

BTW, welcome from San Diego CA

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dirtydeeds! Love that San Diego area. Miss it is more like it.

Tell me about it. I bought a cummins for reliability. The first one was an 05 common rail. By the time 75k miles was on the truck, the head came off, new turbo, 4 sets of injectors, trans was slipping...sold.

Then I was stupid enough to listen to one of my friends and got a 02 HO cummins with low miles. In 42 months of ownership, I averaged 619.00 per month in repairs. This figure also had the 12,500 I paid for the truck. I became a diesel mechanic because I had too. I would type all the crap that went wrong, but I would be typing all night and my thumbs can't text that long...lol

Glad that is over. I have actually drove my truck for over 1.5 months and 3500 miles and I didn't have to spend money or wrench on it. I don't now what to do with all this extra time..and maybe some of my hair will grow back that I ripped out..lol

Thanks for the welcome.

· "A Man Needs A Maid"
1,276 Posts
Welcome from just up I 25

· Registered
225 Posts
Welcome, also live in colorado.
P west but work in the springs.
Had a 98 12v 215 pump... It was a pretty reliable truck, to the future wife wrecked it.
Traded in my 03 gmc duramax for the tundra less than a month ago. It needed some work but was reliable overall. Miss some parts of the diesel but overall love the tundra. Back seat and can is so so big.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

12V CTD trucks are different, but still don't have a cab that is big, and the only year with quad cab 12V trucks is 98.5. Those are like finding Hoffa..lol.

Duramax, pretty solid trucks except early years injectors and the famous transfer case pump rub. My co-worker had to put 10k into his 02 last year (injectors, pump rub, steering, tensioner). Not bad for ten years of service and 140k miles. He tows heavy too.

· Registered
225 Posts
Yep tj... Mine was a 98.4 (new interior quad cab, nearly all options). Was a fun truck. 370rwhp and 812lb tq
My duramax was a lb-7... 97k miles is all too
Was going to need 2500-4k worth of stuff. No need for the diesel and with a baby on the way back seat room will be needed as it was just an extended cab.

Pics of your new ride?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.