Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get a pretty awful shimmy in the truck when braking downhill in these big mountains passes here. Also get it when towing. I don't really notice it too much in town but I live in a smaller town and only drive short distances. Spoke with the dealership yesterday and they are aware of the TSB for the brake backing cooler plates or whatever you call them. I will have those placed on the truck but was wondering if I should turn the rotors or replace them all together? I have 49K miles on the truck and run some pretty large tires, 34's. I spend a lot of time in the dirt as well. If you would recommend new rotors, would you give me some brands that are good? I assume I want non slotted or drilled since I am in the dirt so much, right? However, the issue with the tundra brakes is that they heat up and warp so maybei should go with the drilled ones, dont know. But if just turning them will work, should I go that route? I can replace them myself, i just dont know which is better at this stage.

Also if you want to comment on pads, that would be cool.

Thanks Tundratalk

· Registered
66 Posts
If there is enough material to turn the rotors that would be your best bet, Good Rotors can be rather costly.... the Rotors on your truck have a minimum thickness value and as long as they are not thinner then that value turning them would be no issue at all. I work as a Honda Service Tech and from my experience there is a large difference in quality between cheap aftermarket parts and OEM...and im pretty sure it would be safe to say the same with Toyota parts...Im not saying all aftermarket parts are bad, there are plenty of higher quality aftermarket parts but their prices get rather high too. so i just tend to lean towards OEM parts due to my past expereince.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what is turning a rotor actually?

· Registered
41 Posts
So what is turning a rotor actually?
The brake rotor is taken off the truck and put on a special lathe which spins the rotor. As the rotor is spinning a cutter moves across the surface of the rotor very slowly and removes the warped or gouged areas until the surface is perfectly smooth.

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Some Dealers will lathe the rotor while on the truck without removal, I don't know which is better though off or on?

The brake rotor is taken off the truck and put on a special lathe which spins the rotor. As the rotor is spinning a cutter moves across the surface of the rotor very slowly and removes the warped or gouged areas until the surface is perfectly smooth.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
on is better. it will account for any variations in the hub if it is not 100% perfectly round.

Reactions: EVOL ARDNUT

· Registered
66 Posts
Turning the rotors on the vehicle is ideal, it makes up for any play the hub assembly may have in for a VERY smooth stop. however sometimes you cant always use on car brake lathes with all solid rear axles and 4wd trucks, Im not sure about tundra's since i have never tried....but it may also depend on the On car lathe, i know that i tried using a Pro-cut on car lathe on a Mustang and it wasnt strong enough to cut the rear rotors on the car.

· Registered
91 Posts
Both. Put new pads and rotors on, keep old rotors. Have old rotors turned, and store them in the garage for 50K miles or until your brakes start pulsing. At this point swap them out with the rotors you've had in storage and new pads. Now have your "new" (now old) rotors turned and store them in the garage. Repeat until you exceed the minimal thickness for rotors or your wife signs you up for an episode of "Hoarders".

· Banned
310 Posts
I have stock rotors with EBC "Redstuff"brake pads. They are awesome and worth their cost.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yes you have to turn them. Better to see if they can be turned than buying new ones. My pads I changed at 130k and still had pads to last 150k. I did replace pads with Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic pads but they do make noise if I have surface rust on them. Probably the best route would have been going with OEM pads since they did last 130k miles.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the dealership the best place to have the rotors turned or can just about any brake shop do it well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.