Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the round bar design with chains and it worked good on my utility trailer where sway is not really an issue. I hated it for my camper though. I did research and bought an Equalizer and it made towing so much more comfortable. The "pucker" factor was gone along with the white nuckles. Also with the friction sway control, it is recommended that you remove them in rain, snow, or ice. That is ridiculous to me. The Equalizer and Reese Dual-Cam can be used in any situation and does not have to be removed when backing up.
do you have the part number for the equalizer and where did you get it? I'm going to start towing a trailer for work and this sounds perfect

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Update

First of all, before you go buying any WDH, give the HUSKY CENTERLINE WDH a very good long look. This is what I bought. My choice was between the EQ and the HUSK. IMO the Husky is built better, and designed a little nicer.
http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/P01045_HTCH_CenterLine.pdf

That being said, I got the Husky all set up and hooked to the new travel trailer this past Friday. The Tundra handled the 6500# empty weight very nicely. I kept the interstate speed at a reasonable 64mph, which enabled the truck to stay in 5th gear @ 2000 rpm. MPG was ~9 or so.
The WDH was absolutely fantastic. The active sway control handles the 'big push and pull' when tractor trailers come by so nicely that you don't have to do a thing. The hitch corrects the trailer instantly, as soon as it begins to move off center. AWESOME! Also, the hitch is super quiet!
Backing up was simple, and again the hitch doesn't make any noise whatsoever.
Installation (after initial set up) is very easy, as is removal. The Husky is a stout unit, the head weighs at least 50#.
The arms on the hitch are operated by a well designed tool, easy to hook and unhook. The tool also has a 'wrench' built into it to adjust the arm height adjuster brackets, so no tools are required to make on the fly adjustments.

If anyone needs more info, I'd be glad to assist.

Dan
N. Carolina
2010 Keystone Sprinter 264 BHS
2008 Tundra CM 2wd SR5 5.7
Primus IQ brake control

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Husky is a nice hitch, it just was not out when I got my Equalizer. They are all going to be much nicer for towing compared to a round bar with chains set-up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, for sure any of them would be a better choice over the round bar and chains....and the need for add on sway control.

-Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love my Equalizer!

I tow a 32' TT with 10000 lb GVWR and I love my Equalizer. I never have my TT loaded heavier than about 7500 lbs and for stability I always have some weight, e.g. firewood, bicycles, etc., in the bed of my truck. It is easy to hookup and unhook once you get the hang of it. After a couple of times hooking up, it is almost second nature. I can feel no sway at all, even on the freeway with trucks passing me at 60 mph.

My only experience with other hitches was in helping my neighbor hookup when he first got his, one of those with round bars and chains. What a nightmare!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I believe the anti-sway of the Husky and Equalizer is a better design than the sway control of the Reese, although I can't speak as to if either design actually works better than the other.

They both have less moving parts, and no chains though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2008 Tundra CM 2wd with 5.7, tow package, 18" wheels. 4.30 gears.
We picked up a new 2010 Keystone Sprinter 30' travel trailer that weighs in at 6,500 lbs unloaded.

I bought a weight distributing hitch, and a good proportional brake controller.

Should I expect the Tundra to handle this load fairly well, in "as is" form?

I would imagine adding another 1,000 lbs in people / gear to the truck / trailer, so I'll round up to 8,000 lbs fully loaded going down the road.

I've given some serious consideration to the TRD supercharger....am I going to need the extra HP/Torque? (of course it couldn't hurt, but that's another $6500 I'll have to spend)

What are your thoughts? I haven't brought the trailer home yet...so I'm anxious to know how it will do.

Thanks!!
Dan
N. Carolina
I would think you should be fine with what you have already. I have pulled a trailer since day one. (325,000 miles and still going strong) I have exceeded the payload probably weekly. The tundra is a work horse. The brakes will wear out quickly, but it will do the job.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts