Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up everyone. Just bought my new 2018 TRD Off-Road this past weekend and I’m excited. Got the Calvary Blue color and so far have not seen any Calvary Blues in Houston...so far. Will post pics later. Hope to see you all around. Any Houston folks here??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome, neighbor! I'm jealous of that color, it's beautiful. I've only seen one over here, and I may or may not have drooled as I drove past it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you post some pics. I never seen Tundra in Calvary Blue only thought it was available on 4runner? Thanks.

Here she is! I was lucky enough for the salesman to drive me in the back lot, found this beauty in the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats! I love that color.

Did the dealership tell you that you had to put premium gas in there, or will 85 octane work just fine (here in Utah, your choices are 85, 87, 91 - or 88 for ethanol free). My buddy was told 91 octane only. Is that true?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats! I love that color.

Did the dealership tell you that you had to put premium gas in there, or will 85 octane work just fine (here in Utah, your choices are 85, 87, 91 - or 88 for ethanol free). My buddy was told 91 octane only. Is that true?

I was not told anything like that. I’m going to most likely use 85 octane. What model did your buddy have? I have an SR5 with the TRD Off-Road package not to be confused with TRD Pro which I’m unsure of the gas requirement.

·
Registered
582 Posts
87 is a good way to go...not sure I'd use 85 octane...especially at higher elevations...

·
Registered
486 Posts
87 is a good way to go...not sure I'd use 85 octane...especially at higher elevations...
The higher elevations allow you to use lower octanes, such as 85. The higher the elevation, the lower the chances of detonation are. I’ve run 85 in my Tundra in CO and UT and have had no issues.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is no concern for detonation from a 5.7 Tundra engine...why are you worried about detonation?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Are we talking about the same thing here?
Given the Tundra 5.7 has a CR of 10.2, no I wouldn't use anything lower than 87 octane (Toyota recommends) even at altitude because if you go back to sea level with 85 octane it could cause detonation. Besides, I'd probably be the one to forget to fill up with a higher octane fuel on my way down the mountain:).

If a guy wants to save a few cents and use 85 octane at a higher elevation, have a nut.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the Tundra 5.7 has a CR of 10.2, no I wouldn't use anything lower than 87 octane (Toyota recommends) even at altitude because if you go back to sea level with 85 octane it could cause detonation. Besides, I'd probably be the one to forget to fill up with a higher octane fuel on my way down the mountain:).

If a guy wants to save a few cents and use 85 octane at a higher elevation, have a nut.

I wouldn’t know about high elevation. I live in Texas. It’s as flat as my back. On a serious note, anyone down south not recommend using 85?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts