Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
It seems so long ago... Back in the carb days, a plate literally choked off the air intake side of the carburetor, causing more fuel from the all the jets to get sucked into the engine. There was a little cam to open the butterfly more, upping the idle. Then they started using a fuel enrichener. Much more efficient. Now none of that matters with fuel injection.

Either way, cold engine is gonna idle pretty high for a bit. I just got back from running about the city. It's in the 50's, and the idle was almost 1500 initially. Took several miles before everything became normal. I let her warm up for at least a few minutes in the driveway. Just an old habit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes but I'm specifically referring to chokes that were on carbed autos. You always had to pump the gas once or twice to set the choke before you started them when they were cold and then they would idle ~2000 rpms, you'd stab the accelerator really quick and then they would go down to ~1500 rpms. They wouldn't hit idle speed until the engine was warmed up enough to get the choke to kick off. Modern fuel injected engines also do this but with no input from the operator. With you being in Gilbert these engines never go to high idle much of the year because it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the high idle. I get a lot of customers starting around DEC that start complaining of high idle because it finally gets cold here and they aren't used to their cars idling at 1500.
Older Quadrajets (or at least the one on my 69) requires the operator to press the accelerator down to the floor letting up and then pressing down halfway. This will set the choke for the engine to start correctly.

It seems so long ago... Back in the carb days, a plate literally choked off the air intake side of the carburetor, causing more fuel from the all the jets to get sucked into the engine. There was a little cam to open the butterfly more, upping the idle. Then they started using a fuel enrichener. Much more efficient. Now none of that matters with fuel injection.

Either way, cold engine is gonna idle pretty high for a bit. I just got back from running about the city. It's in the 50's, and the idle was almost 1500 initially. Took several miles before everything became normal. I let her warm up for at least a few minutes in the driveway. Just an old habit.
Wasn't that long ago and they are still sued to day in some applications.

1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, Cadillac Brougham, Honda Prelude (Base Model), Subaru Justy
1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) V8 engine.
1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the AMC 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8 engine.[11]
1993 Mazda B2200 (Light Truck)
1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Brit video of how a carb works

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wasn't that long ago and they are still sued to day in some applications.

1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, Cadillac Brougham, Honda Prelude (Base Model), Subaru Justy
1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) V8 engine.
1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the AMC 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8 engine.[11]
1993 Mazda B2200 (Light Truck)
1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[12]
I was attempting to not show my age. It seems like yesterday that carbs were commonplace. But, in your examples, the most recent is twenty three years old. It is true, carbs are still used, but I've only seen them in lawnmowers and some tractors. Maybe a dirtbike and such.

Yep, we're old.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was attempting to not show my age. It seems like yesterday that carbs were commonplace. But, in your examples, the most recent is twenty three years old. It is true, carbs are still used, but I've only seen them in lawnmowers and some tractors. Maybe a dirtbike and such.

Yep, we're old.
What's this "we" shit? lol. My 99 Valkyrie has six carbs from the factory in it :). There are plenty of motorcycles that have them since puters and FI are expensive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What's this "we" shit? lol. My 99 Valkyrie has six carbs from the factory in it :). There are plenty of motorcycles that have them since puters and FI are expensive.
Time isn't our friend!
Ugh once I had to synchronize the carbs on a Gold Wing, which is the same engine (I think, at least at the time). Six carbs. But, my mercury gauge was for four carbs, so I had to do four, then the last two. It literally took all day. At least with Harley's, it was only one carb. Easy!

Wow I've helped derail another thread. I guess it's my "Thing" now. Niiiiice

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 with 45,000 miles does the same thing and it takes a few miles to settle down. Sounds like a jet engine ready to take off when you first start it up. If I take my foot off gas pedal it will cruise along by itself which this worries me about brake wear. It seems worse in cold weather. Idles at 1000 in park, neutral and drive.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts