Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove home from dealership, got off highway with 45 miles on truck,let
off the gas pedal and it wouldn't idle down under 1100 RPM. I was going 30mph down the road without the foot on the gas! At stop lights it idles down slow. Very disappointment. Does anyone know the normal warm RPM idle? How the problem can be solved. Will get to the dealership asap (home with flu). It is 5.7

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rpm

Drove home from dealership, got off highway with 45 miles on truck,let
off the gas pedal and it wouldn't idle down under 1100 RPM. I was going 30mph down the road without the foot on the gas! At stop lights it idles down slow. Very disappointment. Does anyone know the normal warm RPM idle? How the problem can be solved. Will get to the dealership asap (home with flu). It is 5.7
1100 is normal when the engine and outside temp is cold. Should last a few minutes then it should begin to lower. Rpm is about 750 800ish. Not sure if you should just bring it in or You may try to disconnect the battery a couple of minutes and see if that helps. If not bring it back and have them look at. Also just check the air intake hose from air filter to throttle body for a loose hose. It maybe sucking in air after the mass air flow sensor and trying to compinsate by increasing the idle.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Had that same problem of idling with my 2014 Tundra when it was new also. Didn't think nothing of it since the truck was so smooth, but then I was in the forum and saw a pic of a dash with a '14 at idle at about 600 RPM! Took it in and the dealer reprogrammed the computer (15 min) and all was good in the universe.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You sure you know what you're doing? Are you sure the engine is up to full operating temperature.

I'd like to see you take off from a stop light and hit 30 mph without your foot on the gas. I don't believe it.

You maybe idling downhill and running 30 mph. Big difference.

Hey. You can always take it back. Some states allow you take it back after so many days and less than so many miles. You don't have to keep it...

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2016 5.7 seems to have a high idle too, something noticed but didn't really register as a problem. Only different than what I was used to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2016 DC on start up has a high idle and then drops down once warm. When cold the transmission shifts at different speeds. Again once up to operating temps every thing normal. Part of the computer control.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is all thanks to epa. The faster they warm up the less emissions or some bs. It's normal for all vehicles. If ac is on it will idle higher also even after the motor is warm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It could be unrelated, but when my 2011 5.7 starts up it'll idle between 1,800 and 2,000 for 15-20 seconds then drop down to 1k. This really bothered me at first, but after reading about it all I could I came to the conclusion this is normal for Toyota and hopefully won't cause any problems down the road. I hope this gives you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It could be unrelated, but when my 2011 5.7 starts up it'll idle between 1,800 and 2,000 for 15-20 seconds then drop down to 1k. This really bothered me at first, but after reading about it all I could I came to the conclusion this is normal for Toyota and hopefully won't cause any problems down the road. I hope this gives you some peace of mind.

It's been normal for every single fuel injected vehicle I've owned since 1995

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
What the OP describes is NORMAL. Jsk just needs to drive it. Let everything begin the slow "seating" process.

My new 2017 is a WAY different running truck now at 2,100 miles than when I left the dealer. I've had 6 new Toyotas since 1986. Nothing weird here IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My other vehicles do idle slightly higher at startup, especially when cold, but for some reason my 11 goes really high. My 14 same engine as 11 only rev to 1,400 in the exact same conditions. Go figure

·
Registered
313 Posts
For OP, I'd like to know the idle readings at idle in park and drive with foot on brake both cold start and hot. Have to know this before we can determine if there is even an issue. You cannot base the idle specs with the truck moving.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts

If there's one thing I could easily change myself about the startup RPM of my Tundra it would be the idle speed.
It starts out really high (1,500?) but settles down once the engine management system is satisfied.
I'd be a lot happier if the idle speed were easily adjusted by the owner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
For OP, I'd like to know the idle readings at idle in park and drive with foot on brake both cold start and hot. Have to know this before we can determine if there is even an issue. You cannot base the idle specs with the truck moving.
That's what I took away from the OP's first statement. He's reading the rpm's from a moving vehicle!

·
Registered
662 Posts
It sounds like he's concerned with the engine speed while moving, but the foot off the gas. It isn't going below 1100 RPM's while moving, foot off the gas (30mph).

I don't think engine RPM's would go much below that while in motion. With the foot off the gas, while moving, I'd think it would shift down, using engine breaking a little bit. Granted, it would have to be a long distance of no foot on the pedal before you slow the truck significantly without using brakes.

I'm wondering if he's in SP mode. I usually have to use braking a little, as there aren't many long runs where I can basically coast to a speed as slow as 30mph.

If I drive on a cold engine, it's a different story. From a stop, I can let off the brake pedal and get some decent speed going, without applying any gas. Like others have said, the engine will rev higher no matter what until it's completely warmed up. Usually takes me a couple/few miles at least, before things get normal.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You mean like on a go-cart or lawnmower?
Yes but I'm specifically referring to chokes that were on carbed autos. You always had to pump the gas once or twice to set the choke before you started them when they were cold and then they would idle ~2000 rpms, you'd stab the accelerator really quick and then they would go down to ~1500 rpms. They wouldn't hit idle speed until the engine was warmed up enough to get the choke to kick off. Modern fuel injected engines also do this but with no input from the operator. With you being in Gilbert these engines never go to high idle much of the year because it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the high idle. I get a lot of customers starting around DEC that start complaining of high idle because it finally gets cold here and they aren't used to their cars idling at 1500.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts