Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax. Love it so far about 500 miles on it. I have some questions I was looking for advice on.

1. This is my first big vehicle so can anyone provide some tips on parking in tight parking spots? I know backing in has better turning radius however I notice when I am pulling into a spot with cars on each side I feel like I am going to hit the other car, at least with 90 degree angle spots. The parking spots that are angled are not too bad. So what tips can you guys give on parking between cars whether it be backing in or pulling in forward. (I have tried wide turns but sometimes it just doesn't cut it in a small parking lot) I read somewhere about pulling up behind the car to the left and then backing up to straighten up and pull in but havent had success doing that yet :|

2. Is it normal for the Tundra to not shift when accelerating quickly until 5-6 RPM mark? The transmission and shifting is very smooth in normal acceleration and driving. However if I am at a light and decide to "punch" the gas it feels like it takes to long to shift? It runs up to 5-6 before it shifts. From what I saw online it seems like its normal. At least from the videos I have watched. Just want to get more opinions on this. I noticed when I am driving that a small range of the pedal is "soft" and its not until I pass a certain point that the power of the 5.7 V8 really feels like it kicks in

3. Anyone know what the weight limit for the tailgate and step bars are? I believe Toyota doesnt suggest a weight however I was thinking if you have people sitting on the tailgate to not exceed 600 pounds and the step bars 500? Given the step bars are just to get in the truck not to stand on but just wondering if anyone has tested or knows of what it is capable of

4. What is your real world MPG? I am getting 13.8 right now (mainly because I am still in the "test" phase, as in punch the gas sometimes) :)

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
First, welcome to TT!

1. You'll get used to it. Being your first big vehicle, it will take some time. After a while driving it you'll get to know exactly where your bumpers are and how it turns so you'll know if you're going to hit something or if you can even fit. Just give it time. You'll figure that part out.

2. Yeah, normal. Gives you more power since you're getting on it.

3. No clue on this one, but your numbers sound legit.

4. 15-17 city, 19-21 highway depending on how I drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, welcome to TT!

1. You'll get used to it. Being your first big vehicle, it will take some time. After a while driving it you'll get to know exactly where your bumpers are and how it turns so you'll know if you're going to hit something or if you can even fit. Just give it time. You'll figure that part out.

2. Yeah, normal. Gives you more power since you're getting on it.

3. No clue on this one, but your numbers sound legit.

4. 15-17 city, 19-21 highway depending on how I drive.
Thanks for the response! I have noticed the more I drive it the more accustomed I have become. Just trying to master the parking bit as quickly as possible so I dont look like an idiot haha ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the response! I have noticed the more I drive it the more accustomed I have become. Just trying to master the parking bit as quickly as possible so I dont look like an idiot haha ;)
I like to back in because I have a backup camera AND it does allow you to straighten up easier if you aren't quite on target.

The stock mirrors are garbage, put on the tow mirrors or some big spot mirrors (what I did) that angle towards your wheels so you can see your truck.

I assume you did not get the parking sensors - they were one of the reasons I jumped up to the LTD trim. Should be standard IMO.

Now the front of the truck I have yet to figure out, it's sort of get used to it game. I will probably add the front camera mod for precise parking.

You do get used to it, but in situations where ultimate precision is needed (downtown parking garges) mirrors, cameras, and things that beep help.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
For me going into spots in reverse and making use of side view mirrors is key to getting it in there straight. I have always owned pickups and have ALWAYS sucked at pulling into any spots front forward because you just don't have the visibility to get a good point of reference like you do in a car.

Trannies are now adaptive to driving patterns and habits, changing shift patterns to suit conditions. If you think what you are experiencing is weird, wait until you're going down hill and it drops two gears just because you lightly tapped the brakes.

My steps are aftermarket so I cannot comment except that isn't something to worry about unless you have 4 or 500 pounders in your family regularly hopping into your truck.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tailgate, just follow the weight limit and discourage people from hopping up there and trying to do the Macarena on it or anything.

Real world for me as an average of 13-14. If I am really driving like a douche and/or or it is Winter in can dip into the 11s. My best ever is 18.7 all highway at between 60 and 65 mph. I imagine I could have done between 19 and 20 if I had kept the cruise a little below 60. Only got that once though, on the road trip I took the day after I bought the truck. I have not had the patience to drive like that since then so I haven't seen that kind of mpg. Driving style is the big factor here. These trucks can get great mileage when driven gently, but nobody really understands how easy you have to be on it to get that. Those that do just don't have the patience to drive that way. If you ever want to optimize fuel consumption don't worry about buying stuff to improve it, just slow down. Every extra mile per gallon doing this gets you is 'free', in that you don't have to pay for the cost of a mod with your fuel savings before you can start putting it into your pocket.

Exhaust + intake + a tonneau might get you one or two mpg but you paid 1-2000 do get there. I can do better than that by driving gently and this costs me nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I like to back in because I have a backup camera AND it does allow you to straighten up easier if you aren't quite on target.

The stock mirrors are garbage, put on the tow mirrors or some big spot mirrors (what I did) that angle towards your wheels so you can see your truck.

I assume you did not get the parking sensors - they were one of the reasons I jumped up to the LTD trim. Should be standard IMO.

Now the front of the truck I have yet to figure out, it's sort of get used to it game. I will probably add the front camera mod for precise parking.

You do get used to it, but in situations where ultimate precision is needed (downtown parking garges) mirrors, cameras, and things that beep help.
Only problem with cameras and things that beep is that people tend to start relying on them 100%. Then they stop working for some reason and all the sudden they have no clue how to park.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Like my Dad used to say when I first started driving...
"...drive it with the seat of ur pants..."
You have to be confident and trust yourself or you will hit something.

·
"TT's SLO'est 5.7"
434 Posts
I recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax. Love it so far about 500 miles on it. I have some questions I was looking for advice on.

1. This is my first big vehicle so can anyone provide some tips on parking in tight parking spots? I know backing in has better turning radius however I notice when I am pulling into a spot with cars on each side I feel like I am going to hit the other car, at least with 90 degree angle spots. The parking spots that are angled are not too bad. So what tips can you guys give on parking between cars whether it be backing in or pulling in forward. (I have tried wide turns but sometimes it just doesn't cut it in a small parking lot) I read somewhere about pulling up behind the car to the left and then backing up to straighten up and pull in but havent had success doing that yet :|
Congrats on your purchase!!! I have had my truck for almost 2 years and the only time I go forward into a parking spot is when I can goto the next spot in front facing forward in the parking aisle (just like I backed in).

I was in a parking lot once and trying to back out was a 6 point turn haha, damn parking aisles were too close.

Now, I am the Tundra that parks way out there next to no one. But I always did this with previous sports cars anyway due to not wanting any damage from doors n bumpers of other vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "softness" on the accelerator pedal was one of the factors leading me to upgrade the 07 to 14. I think they made the 07 sensitive to show off the new fangled 5.7 engine, but it made it uncomfortable to drive. When you pressed the pedal and it lurched forward, it would press you back in the seat and ease your foot off the pedal and cut power and put you back in a normal seating position where your foot would then press the pedal again and press you back in the seat and lift your foot off the pedal and so on and so on. Very, very annoying. I like the 04 throttle response WAY better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm also a new owner of full size truck . The other day took the family for some sonic.Holy chit i almost took out their ordering monitor thing :eek: The thing
is HUGH ! I barely had room parking in the garage.I just order a bull bar too :lol5:

·
Registered
2 Posts

2. Is it normal for the Tundra to not shift when accelerating quickly until 5-6 RPM mark? The transmission and shifting is very smooth in normal acceleration and driving. However if I am at a light and decide to "punch" the gas it feels like it takes to long to shift? It runs up to 5-6 before it shifts. From what I saw online it seems like its normal. At least from the videos I have watched. Just want to get more opinions on this. I noticed when I am driving that a small range of the pedal is "soft" and its not until I pass a certain point that the power of the 5.7 V8 really feels like it kicks in

3. Anyone know what the weight limit for the tailgate and step bars are? I believe Toyota doesnt suggest a weight however I was thinking if you have people sitting on the tailgate to not exceed 600 pounds and the step bars 500? Given the step bars are just to get in the truck not to stand on but just wondering if anyone has tested or knows of what it is capable of

4. What is your real world MPG? I am getting 13.8 right now (mainly because I am still in the "test" phase, as in punch the gas sometimes) :)

Thanks guys!

I hope you’ve figured it out. If not, Hyundai now makes a “Smaht Pahk!”
(Sorry, looking for tire suggestions and came across this thread - loved the Super Bowl commercial! 😉)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts