Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I am now the proud Owner of a New Magnetic Gray 2017 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with the TSS Black Package. I've been trolling/lurking around this forum for a while trying to make the smartest new truck purchase. It didn't take long to realize that the Tundra was the ONLY real answer for a full size half ton truck. Looking forward to a few mods in the near future....just to set her apart from the others around here. I'll be slowly completing my profile over the next couple weeks. I'm here in the suburbs of Houston, TX and would like to hear from any others in the area about the shops/dealerships to reward with my patronage and also those to stay the hell away from.

Thanks for all the help you guys didn't know you were providing in my decision making process.

Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for warm welcome. This is her..... All I've done to date is change the tint. Upgraded to ceramic tint, 35% on front sides, 20% over factory privacy glass on back sides and rear glass, and a 70% on front (almost clear) just for control of the Texas heat. Finalizing plans for her next upgrades.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I first started my search for a Tundra I was looking for what I called a "steel wheel" version, but I also wanted the SR5 Upgrade Package. So I was looking for a '17 CrewMax 4x4 with the 5.7 that was pretty basic, but I absolutely wanted the front buckets. I also was focused on just a few color combinations. Once I started soliciting the local (and some not so local) dealerships and getting them to provide me with a quote....it was for a unit that I found in their stock. Some of those dealerships STILL funked up and quoted a TSS or a TX Edition unit. That is when I realized that with the number of TSS units on lots and in inventory coupled with the added incentives from Toyota for the "special package" units I was getting quotes for the "steel wheel" and for the TSS that were only $500 apart.

A dealership in San Antonio (Cavenders) was slashing the shit out of their "on lot" trucks. I got him to rock bottom each version. After that....I went back at the original guys who quoted me and told them what they had to take off to earn my business. I let them whore themselves and beat the hell out of each other on the TSS versions that were configured the way I wanted it. The "add-ons" were taken off right away....I didn't ask for nitrogen in tires, cheap tint on the front two windows, lugnut locks, and/or a spare tire lock. My dealings were starting with the window sticker. At that time, Toyota was offering $3,000 in incentives on a TSS model, and then I was able to get multiple dealerships to discuss a dealer discount of another +/- $6,000.

Final deal was my TSS (window stickered at just under $48k) for $38.5k +ttl. All fees were in line with each of the other dealerships. They kept saying that they "couldn't" do the deal....that they were losing money on it and that it was several thousand under invoice. I also had in my favor the last weekend of the month and also a holiday weekend.

AND...even though I knew I wanted to upgrade my truck, I wasn't sure how long before I would start. Getting the TSS would keep me satisfied for a while so that I didn't feel the need to run out and do upgrades right away. And when I go to sell the take-offs....I am expecting to get more out of these TSS wheels and tires than I would've gotten for the steelies.

Sorry if this ended up getting confusing. Short answer is that I went with what I felt was the best deal. I got the "steel wheel" version down to $37k +ttl, and the TSS down to $38.5k. I jumped on the TSS. Hind-sight....I probably should have gotten the steel wheel. I tend to get caught up in "best deal" sometimes....but I feel great about my deal and love the truck. This Tundra still rides, sounds, and feels like a truck and I like that.

CK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.