Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Just wanting to get opinions and input. Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I just purchased a 2017 1794 CM. I was noticing the other day that the maps seems outdated. I went into map data and it seems that my map card is from may of 2016. Anyone had any experience getting a new Toyota with a map card over a year old? Any luck getting toyota or the dealership to give you an updated one at no charge? Is my expectation of asking the dealership/toyota to give me an updated one at no charge unrealistic? Thoughts and comments welcome and encouraged

·
Registered
77 Posts
OEMs like Toyota only update their maps once a year at most sometimes less.
So this isn't abnormal.

The update should come out later this year but expect to pay for it.
If Toyota went with Apple Carplay or Android auto this would not even be an issue.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Even with a date of May 2016; the actual information on the card is May 2015.

Map cards are good from the point they are fast.

They are bad from the point they are always out of date by 1 to 2 years.

In Dallas where the roads are under constant construction, the 4 year old map card in my truck produces some strange results particularly if using Nav with traffic data "on". The traffic data flow will be presented on the screen even if there are no roads in the map card or your screen. The Dallas Horseshoe downtown is the classic example. It is great for laughs!

Reactions: tinyt1553

·
Registered
44 Posts
My salesman said they can update my card whenever I want for a charge or I can go online, register my truck and do it on my own for free.

I haven't tried that yet, but I don't live in a metropolitan area where I need constant updates.

I feel for you folks in the cities.

Reactions: tinyt1553

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2016, and would like to update. I'm assuming the SD card is removed, and a pc used to update, but where would I find the update? Figure I'm as smart as the tech who's going to plug it in their computer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
i thought we had to buy a new map card (from any source). i didnt know garmin had an online system for the update. i'll have to check what kind of card it is and try to make one with this utility from scratch. im not brave enough to try it on the card that came with the truck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I've read to date is that you can use any micro SD card as long as it has 4 gigs of space. There's even some cards on Ebay with the download already on them

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I've read to date is that you can use any micro SD card as long as it has 4 gigs of space. There's even some cards on Ebay with the download already on them

When you go to the link which lists the instructions, it shows a page during the update process that checks to see if the free update has expired, and if it has there is a $150 charge by Garmin. I wonder how long there are free updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The instructions in the above links do explain to some extent some of the statements my dealer made (paraphrase): "the map card has to be serialized to the truck". That explains somewhat why some having purchased the cheap map cards ($35) on ebay do not work correctly.

If you do in fact have to pay $150 for this; does it actually work? Who will be the first to test it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Proprietary nav systems seem like just another way for manufacturers to get more money out of buyers. I have yet to see one I like and the rare times I use navigation I prefer to use the one on my phone.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Oem nav blows

Carplay and android auto are lights years ahead

Shame Toyota is so freakin stubborn on this

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just posted in the other similar GPS thread. I just bought the OE184 SD card off eBay and it replaced my OE181 map that was in my 2014 Limited. Worth the 90 bucks I spent. I like the factory Nav, yes a garmin is nice for various reasons, but I hate the look of that thing just stuck to the windshield. For how often roads really change, Ill spend 100 bucks every three years on a new map SD card.

Android Auto would be nice though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts