Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
All newer toyota automatic transmissions take the new WS tranny fluid
It stands for World Standard.

as far as i know, its only available at the deeler, and its kind of pricy. even our parts suppliers dont carry it yet.

if the tech couldnt tell the transmission from the oil pan, he really shouldnt be working on cars, the tranny is almost 2 feet back from the oil pan!!

i would call them and ask them what fluid they put in, and how they filled it, my guess would be that they just put Dextron III in it or Toyota type IV make sure it has WS in it!

We had an 09 lexus RX350 i think it was it was there for a 60K service, we checked the tranny fluid it had the ws in it and it was brown, supposed to be bright red so when i get my tundra i will be servicing the transmission every 50K thats just me, im sure 80k would be fine also but i feel 100k is pushing it, just my opinion

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Guaranteed they don't carry Toyota WS fluid and just filled it with Dexron, Mercon, etc. I would go to the dealer asap and have it properly flushed, then present the bill to Tire Kingdom. These transmissions don't last long with the wrong fluid in them.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
They used valvoline maxlife. They told me it replaces toyota t2 and t4...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will never take my truck back to Tire Kingdom after today's visit. I have been using the same store for years and never had any issues. I went in for an oil change and tire rotation. I always provide a Toyota oil filter. Well today...I was the there almost 5 hours. Rather than draining my oil, they drained transmission fluid. So they had to flush my transmission fluid and refill. When I got home and checked everything out, they did not use my oil filter and my air filter box was not clamped shut. And to top it off, they told that it is time to replace my air filter. I laughed and said "really...it is a K&N". Of course they were speechless. So from now own, I will be doing my own maintenance.

Do I need to be concerned about the transmission flush? I have almost 38k miles on it. Under normal scheduled maintenance, when should this be done? And do I need to be to concerned about the non Toyota oil filter? Anything else that I should be concerned about?
I hear ya. When I bought my 2007 Tundra 5.7. No oil change place had the correct oil (5w-20) and never had an oil filter. So, I bought all the stuff and gave them specific instuctions. I would stand there and watch them change my oil. If they would not let me watch, they lost out. I alway tell them...Just change my oil and grease the fitting on the drive train, thats it. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!! One time, I had some kid try and put 10w-30 in my truck. I was pissed offfffffffffffffffffffff!! After that, I watch them like a hawk and give them specific instructions........if they try to check my tires, I blow a gasket!!!!! I work for a living, I dont need some kid killing my dream. So, buy all the stuff(oil/Filter) , watch them closely and dont let them touch anything else..............works for me! Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, you need WS like 1st yoda said, have the dealer flush it, just a train and refill wont drain the torque convertor, these trannys hold almost 11 quarts with the torque convertor, a simple drain and fill will get you 4 quarts if your lucky, by now the fluid will be in the convertor, mixed with everything else

or take it to a local shop that will do it right

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I hear ya. When I bought my 2007 Tundra 5.7. No oil change place had the correct oil (5w-20) and never had an oil filter. So, I bought all the stuff and gave them specific instuctions. I would stand there and watch them change my oil. If they would not let me watch, they lost out. I alway tell them...Just change my oil and grease the fitting on the drive train, thats it. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!! One time, I had some kid try and put 10w-30 in my truck. I was pissed offfffffffffffffffffffff!! After that, I watch them like a hawk and give them specific instructions........if they try to check my tires, I blow a gasket!!!!! I work for a living, I dont need some kid killing my dream. So, buy all the stuff(oil/Filter) , watch them closely and dont let them touch anything else..............works for me! Good luck!
I usually stand there and watch them too and they do not mind it. I had my 16 month old son with me yesterday. He kept me pretty busy.

I called a few local dealers and they told me that Tire Kingdom has the same equipment they use to change the fluid.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Heading to the dealership...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Toyota uses a special ATF designed for 100,000 miles service.

Amsoil, and maybe others, have a compatible ATF but I would recommend a flush and install of the right fluid, especially as your truck is on warranty.
A installation kit is required.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The dealership did not have time to get my truck in Saturday. However, they did have time to begin voiding my power-train warranty on my transmission. Toyota Corp was called after that. I will be getting the tranny flushed and filled with WS hopefully this afternoon or first thing in the morning. I have done a lot of reading about the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. Granted, alot from Valvoline...but it seems if a company like that put out documentation stating that their fluids will not void your warranty...how can Toyota? Does the dealership have a valid claim in voiding the warranty? I do not have an extended warranty. It is only the 60k power-train.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,868 Posts
The dealership did not have time to get my truck in Saturday. However, they did have time to begin voiding my power-train warranty on my transmission. Toyota Corp was called after that. I will be getting the tranny flushed and filled with WS hopefully this afternoon or first thing in the morning. I have done a lot of reading about the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. Granted, alot from Valvoline...but it seems if a company like that put out documentation stating that their fluids will not void your warranty...how can Toyota? Does the dealership have a valid claim in voiding the warranty? I do not have an extended warranty. It is only the 60k power-train.
crap man that sucks. I would take it up with Tire kingdom. They made this mess for you. Idiots! the trans comes after the friggen motor! Good luck with this mess. Tell the dealer to have a heart. You just wanted an oil change not a headache.

I am lucky my dealer took care of there mistake. They paid for the FLush and fill and did not void anything.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Legally, if a lubricant meets or exceeds manufactures specifications, the manufacturer cannot void the warranty.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
shatto is correct, i don't know if the maxlife meets or exceeds the specs for yota oil...

it is kinda b.s. that they would want to void the warranty, i would have just told them that you wanted a trans fluid flush and thats it, i wouldn't have explained why, and would have just footed the bill to the other shop.

with that said, how many miles did you drive?
i would explain that as soon as it happened you took it right to them.

50-100 miles, esp when not towing or anything it is not likely that anything at all could have been damaged even if it was dex or merc fluid...

of they really do void it, i would make the other shop pay for an extended warranty from some other company.

EDITED:

copied from pdf from valvoline...

Valvoline MaxLife™ DEX/MERC ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is the first fluid of its kind that is specifically formulated for today’s technologically sophisticated automatic transmissions. It is formulated with premium base stocks, unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear additives, and shear stable viscosity modifiers, among other performance packages, to fight the four major causes of transmission breakdown, including leaks, slippage, shudder and gear wear. Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF is recommended for use in most new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.
The Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF Advantages:
• Synthetic fluid
• Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
• Reduces varnish formation and wear
• Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids
• Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
• Maximizes the life of higher mileage transmissions
Performance Levels
Exceeds the latest performance requirements of DEXRON®-VI and MERCON LV® fluids
Recommended for use in GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and others where DEXRON®III or MERCON fluid is specified
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications

i would print that pdf and give it to the yota dealer.

legally they can NOT void your warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,868 Posts
Great info

shatto is correct, i don't know if the maxlife meets or exceeds the specs for yota oil...

it is kinda b.s. that they would want to void the warranty, i would have just told them that you wanted a trans fluid flush and thats it, i wouldn't have explained why, and would have just footed the bill to the other shop.

with that said, how many miles did you drive?
i would explain that as soon as it happened you took it right to them.

50-100 miles, esp when not towing or anything it is not likely that anything at all could have been damaged even if it was dex or merc fluid...

of they really do void it, i would make the other shop pay for an extended warranty from some other company.

EDITED:

copied from pdf from valvoline...

Valvoline MaxLife™ DEX/MERC ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is the first fluid of its kind that is specifically formulated for today’s technologically sophisticated automatic transmissions. It is formulated with premium base stocks, unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear additives, and shear stable viscosity modifiers, among other performance packages, to fight the four major causes of transmission breakdown, including leaks, slippage, shudder and gear wear. Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF is recommended for use in most new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.
The Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF Advantages:
• Synthetic fluid
• Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
• Reduces varnish formation and wear
• Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids
• Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
• Maximizes the life of higher mileage transmissions
Performance Levels
Exceeds the latest performance requirements of DEXRON®-VI and MERCON LV® fluids
Recommended for use in GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and others where DEXRON®III or MERCON fluid is specified
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications

i would print that pdf and give it to the yota dealer.

legally they can NOT void your warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I'm not right it's 75,000 miles you have it flushed. Had mine done at 80k miles.
What did you pay for the tranny flush and did you take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I don't even trust the dealer. I do all my own maintenance.
Our automatic transmissions require a fluid change kit. Since most of you will stick to the recommended change time, you may want to think about if it is worth the cost to use it maybe twice.

Most garages use a machine which simply hooks into the transmission coolant line to change fluid, and it has worked well for me (623,000 miles). You'll buy about 16 quarts of ATF for the process.

The advantage of having a professional do the job is....insurance, if something does go wrong they are responsible.

Dealerships, make their profits off the garage, not selling cars.
Although dealership garages are where the new guys start off, it simply doesn't make sense for them to keep hack mechanics or do things to drive customers away. Except, of course where you are.
Ford isn't advertizing tires for less to be in the tire business, they want to fix your car even if someone else built it.
I suspect most dealership problems are communication based. Remember...as a guy you know everything.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
What did you pay for the tranny flush and did you take it to the dealer?
I found my receipt and I had it done @ 70,215 miles vice 80k. On the receipt it states ver batum (Recommended every 60k miles). They actually added 4 quarts #00289-ATFWS World Standard at a price of $12.84 per quart for $51.36.It was $61.76 for the service. Came to $113.12. This was done 10/24/2009.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I found my receipt and I had it done @ 70,215 miles vice 80k. On the receipt it states ver batum (Recommended every 60k miles). They actually added 4 quarts #00289-ATFWS World Standard at a price of $12.84 per quart for $51.36.It was $61.76 for the service. Came to $113.12. This was done 10/24/2009.
That's nice. What does your owners manual say?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts