Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have bought the only '07 Tundra in the greater Houston area that didn't come with step rails. :rolleyes:

At any rate, the wife needs them. So, time for my first appearance mod! I've done some on-line research and found 3 different sizes of tubing - 3", 3.5", and 4". Which brings me to my questions...

What is the diameter of the stock rails?

Other than the obvious (size), is there any difference other than price?

Is there a brand to stay away from?

Anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got the Demello Offroad rock sliders on my rig. Stick out just enough to stand on them if I need to, and strong enough to handle offroad abuse.

·
Registered
341 Posts
the toyota bars are 3" I got a set of rampage off of e-bay. I had a set of the westin platnum series on my last truck and ripped them off on a rock, so I figured I would get cheap ones this time around. there pretty solid but I have no idea how long they will last, like the old saying goes you get what you pay for. i paid 199 shipped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the toyota bars are 3" I got a set of rampage off of e-bay. I had a set of the westin platnum series on my last truck and ripped them off on a rock, so I figured I would get cheap ones this time around. there pretty solid but I have no idea how long they will last, like the old saying goes you get what you pay for. i paid 199 shipped.
Any mounting issues with the Rampage product?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the 5" running board from Hunter in tx they are located in Houston Tx, they are $199.00 free shipping off ebay. I emailed two ebay members that purchased the same boards from the same company and one stated the following: this is what he emailed me.

Dear guapo-timber,

The Quality is super and the boards are well built. The hardware that supports the boards is HD carbon steel great welds and painted black. All the special bolts (fasteners) are included. The instructions are clar and simple with No Drilling. The shipping was FED EX an it was Fast. The Box was Double layered. I cant install them to day because of the SNOW....Being a Fabricator/Designer I'm Totally amazed at quality for $200.
Jack........

I will see when i get them, I installed the nerf bars on our trailblazer in under 1hr. I will let you know about these.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guapo,

These are the ABS running boards right? Couldn't find them on e-bay, but I found a supplier that had them.

I think I'm going to go with a tube style in chrome though. Near as I can tell the Hunter running boards only come in black and I wanted a little more bling for the sides. Thanks for the suggestion though! And please let me know how easy they were to install.

·
Registered
279 Posts
eBay My World: huntertruckwholesale These are 5" running boards that are as follows: this is what is from there listing: and they are on the way>
This offer is for a pair of Blade Series Step Boards. This beautiful euro-designed Step Boards' stylish looks come naturally from the high-tech materials that are used. Made of polished 6061 Aircraft Alloy, heat treated for the highest strengh per weight ratio. Patent pending internal I-Beam structure is rated for over 500 lb of stepping force. The stepping surface features beveled rubber strips providing excellent tractions.

This offer includes a pair of step boards and complete mounting kits and instructions. Mounting brackets are custom made for this vehicle not an universal type. No cutting and drilling required.

-- Provide great styling and functions for easy entry / exit of the vehicle.
-- UV proof beveled rubber strips for maximum traction.
-- Never Rust! Aircraft alloy will never rust because it is a stainless alloy.
-- Top quality polished 6061 aircraft alloy measures 2" high & 4 1/2" wide.
-- Complete black powder coated mounting kits and instructions.
-- High strength/Light weight and save gas! Approx. 18 lbs per pair.
-- No cutting and drilling required.
-- 5 year Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hunter comes in both black and aluminum.
will let you know.
'

ras

·
Registered
279 Posts
are u looking for a bug guard, I got the Erg and it is the best one.

ras

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No bug guard yet, but I'm rethinking my step preferences based on your choice! I may go with the Hunter Blades.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i got the trail fx polished stainless w/ black treads on my trd. it took 20 min to install them using the factory holes really sturdy and polished chrome look. about 200$ here in N.W. houston

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got the trail fx polished stainless w/ black treads on my trd. it took 20 min to install them using the factory holes really sturdy and polished chrome look. about 200$ here in N.W. houston
Where did you get them at?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Best of luck, on what ever running boards you get, I will keep you posted on how mine install, however that will be after xmas. I am looking at the RECON rear tail lights with the back up lights that function as turn, running break and back up. I have seen them on the net for about $75.00. I also want the bora dual exhaust that exits out unde the rear bumper. Also do you have any optnoin or the bed rug i have seen it for 299.00

RAS:) :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
the dealers in town can get them for around 350. call these accessorizer guys and ask about the trail fx stainless nerf bars. should be around 200-250$. i know fred haas toyota can order them and have them in in 2 days. i checked previously and it's the same product you can have ups'd to your front door for less.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
If you are looking for step tubes, i think the Westin brand is great, look sharp. works awesome

I am using the Plastinum series on mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE

Just finished installing the Hunter Blades on the TRD. The warehouse that the E-Bay ad ships from is in Stafford, which is just a few miles from my home here in Katy. So I called, verified they had stock, and went over and picked a set up. BTW - No discount for doing it this way and they don't take personal checks - so bring cash or Visa/MasterCard (cause they also don't take American Express). :cool:

Anyway...

Installation was way easy, all the parts were included, they look great, and they appear to be well built - only time will tell there. But for $215 including tax they appear to be a bargin! Installation time? Try 1 hour and 15 minutes from start to finish. And by that I mean opening the boxes, getting the tools out, taking a glance at the instructions, removing the factory bolts, installing the brackets, fitting the boards, tightening everything up, putting away the tools, storing the factory bolts, picking up the trash, and moving the truck back to it's parking spot. BTW - Instructions were weak, but certainly doable. This is a beginner task at best - VERY EASY! :D

Dark here now, so I'll post photos tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts