Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at an '08 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 SR5 with roughly 52,000 miles on it. I'm trying to do my research, but I'm finding that there are dozens of options for each thing I research.

So, I guess my main questions are:

Wheels: Going with *EDIT: 295/60r20 wheels and tires. Is there that perfect magic number to backspacing and offset? IE, the most popular choice is_____?

Coilovers: Going with a coilover front and an add a leaf rear. This truck will only see about 6000 miles per year, I was thinking the Bilstein kit plus rear shocks plus rear 1" leaves (like ~1200, right?). Any red flags there? If so, is there a general consensus on which coilover kit is the best bang for the buck? I looked at Bilstein, sway away, Icon, Fox, etc.

Towing- I just had a friend tell me he gets 6mpg towing..... Is that right??? I'll be towing a Jeep wranger and a sxs with a total weight of trailer, jeep, and sxs equaling 7,500lbs.

General truck issues: Any other red flags about this truck I should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
No issues with my '08 in 32,000 miles. I don't know about wheel size or coilovers, but as for towing mileage; 6 mpg is possible, a lot depends on speed and driving style. If you tow that much and keep it at 75, mileage will suffer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Offset is going to depend on the look that you're going for. I love my 20x9 +18mm's. anything between +35mm to 0mm with a 305/55 should work. Depending on which of these you go for, some trimming will be required. Either the skid plate for the higher offsets, or body mount and fender liner for the lower ones.

I get 9-10 mpg average when towing 7-9k pounds on flattish ground lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. With about 8 phone calls to different vendors and about 14 hours of reading on these forums since yesterday (lol) I have orders reserved for Fox coilovers up front, Fox shocks in the rear (no rear lift), 20x9 +18 wheels and 295/60 Terra's.

Off to the dealership this morning to hopefully close the deal.

·
Registered
530 Posts
295/60r20's are gonna be tight with that offset and 2.5" of lift. I bet you end up with slight trimming of all three spots= skid plate, fender liner and body mount.

It's gonna look nice though!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
295/60r20's are gonna be tight with that offset and 2.5" of lift. I bet you end up with slight trimming of all three spots= skid plate, fender liner and body mount.

It's gonna look nice though!!
I hope I'm not making a mistake with that tire size. I don't mind trimming, etc, but this is just a 2" Fox lift, not 2.5".

Am I being over zealous? I run 35"s on my wife's H3 Hummer and 37"s on my jeep. This truck will mostly see street duty, but a few times a year I'll have it on NC beaches or Johnson Valley desert, CA.

Here is why cutting and trimming doesn't bother me too much :D:

·
Registered
530 Posts
At 2", I would recommend the 305/55. 295's will look pretty stuffed. I prefer a nice balance of tire/wheel well.

I have 305's on my 2.5" now. When I get my ome installed next month, I should be around 3.5-3.75". I will wait a year until my 305's are done, then I'm going 295/60 terra graps.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next week should be fun- 20" XD's and 295/60's arrive on Tuesday, Fox coilovers and shocks arrive on Wednesday. Picked up the truck yesterday and getting leather and Predator step bars installed on Monday.

Is there any value in the 18" stock wheels? They are wrapped in new 265/70-18's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 days later.....

Fox 2.0's in the rear, 2" spacer up front (I couldn't get the Fox coilovers on.... :confused:, they will go on this weekend), Predator step bars, XD 810's (20x9 +18), and 295/60r20 Terra Grapplers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice looking rig!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I removed the mud flaps, no rubbing on the skid, I ended up taking off the bumper inner guard due to no time before the trip, so no rubbing there either.

I am rubbing on the body mount at full lock, so I'll work on that next week. Overall though, I'm real happy with it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
is this coming with any warranty? Water Pumps tend to go out on these and the AIP pumps..but those are factory warrantied until 150k or 10 years..

·
Registered
733 Posts
That looks great man! How is the ride with the Fox shocks compared to stock?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks great man! How is the ride with the Fox shocks compared to stock?
I'm loving the ride. The upgrade has been awesome! By the way, I got my shocks, wheels, and tires from Rides in Conover, NC. I would strongly suggest reaching out to Brandon over there for a good deal on any upgrade for these trucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First long distance towing assignment for the Tundra- hauled about 6500lbs for 4 hours and could hardly tell it was back there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Redlyner sorry don't mean to hj this but I have the same truck except my 3" and +3 shackles are going on Tuesday. Currently I have the bbs20x9 with 305 50 20 wheels and want a 33"-34" Tulare. Would a -24 offset work ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts