Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! Been forever since I’ve been on here, but I’m needing some advise and thoughts. And sorry this is probly guna be kinda long. So I got a 2016 Tundra double cab, 6 1/2ft bed, 4x4, SR5 and of course the 5.7 in it. I’ve installed a bully dog GT tuner, 2 1/2” duals with flowmaster super 44 dual in/dual out muffler, E3 plugs and a volant CAI. I feel like it just isn’t performing like it should. I previously had an ‘08 tundra on 35’s with almost all the same stuff that I feel was faster. Recently I raced my younger brother in his ‘13 dodge 4x4 big horn with headers, exhaust and a CAI and he beat me by a little over a truck length. I can’t be having that!! Haha. The volant CAI I feel is junk, didn’t fit on the passenger fender for the “forced air” worth a crap and pretty much looks like the OEM air box. I’m going to add an X pipe and was thinking about doing true duals with the super 44 mufflers instead of the dual on/dual out. Would that be worth the money?? My new wheels and tires are about 11lbs a piece heavier than OEM. Would that make that much of a difference in performance?? Any comments or recommendations with my setup or anything I should change, add or take off to get better performance and MPG’s would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was wondering if you put in the e3 plugs or did the truck come with them? I had some in my chrysler 300 it made better power and mileage with them until they bricked the computer(tsb for Chrysler and e3). I want to put them in my truck but after the experience with the 300 I want to see what others have experienced.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I've been on here since 2010 and have been messing with all sorts of performance parts for my 5.7L (I currenlty stopped after I was finally satisfied with a big bolt on Turbo) so here is my 2 cents:
1) Go back to the stock plugs, Denso IKH20, they even have these sorta new Denso twin tip plugs that could perform better than that. Part # Denso IKH 20TT (4704). My buddy installed those, they work well.
2) Your True Dual Exhaust actually makes you lose power. When I had that, my low end was slugish, it came back after I went back into a single exhaust out.. I bet your stock bolt on would bring back your power loss..
3) IDK about that Bully Dog tuner since I never tried that, but yours being a 2014+ model, do you know about your Tow/Haul button making it perform a lot better? It's said that it then feels like the older faster 07-13 models-LoL..
Try just pushing that Tow/Haul button and go Wide Open Throttle, then to compare that after removing the Bully Dog Tune.
Do the same testing with your Volant vs Stock CAI. Something is making your powerloss, the only way to know is through Trial and Error..
If your Tundra is Not a Flex Fuel Vehicle, I got a new trick that works for performance, PM me for details..
JIM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if you put in the e3 plugs or did the truck come with them? I had some in my chrysler 300 it made better power and mileage with them until they bricked the computer(tsb for Chrysler and e3). I want to put them in my truck but after the experience with the 300 I want to see what others have experienced.
I put them in after I bought the truck and wouldn’t buy them again. I would deff stick to Denso or NGK iridium spark plugs. I’m about to change mine back out

·
Registered
202 Posts
what size tires?
you need 4.88's front/rear if you have 35 or bigger
put stock plugs back in. throw the CAI in the trash.
put it 4 hi, beat him off launch and stay out in front
the drone masters are probably choking off some power as well
what BD tune and what fuel are you running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why dont you just install a Magnusson Supercharger and don't worry about the other things. I ran my 2011 RW on a dyno, and a supposed 750HP Ford with S/C pulled about the same.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why dont you just install a Magnusson Supercharger and don't worry about the other things. I ran my 2011 RW on a dyno, and a supposed 750HP Ford with S/C pulled about the same.
got a dyno sheet? i gotta see that!
how much boost? running aftermarket engine management on e85 or better?
how do you keep the block together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
got a dyno sheet? i gotta see that!
how much boost? running aftermarket engine management on e85 or better?
how do you keep the block together?
I purchased and installed the actual TRD supercharger and installation kit direct from a Toyota Dealer. That was when Toyota offered it for the 5 .7 Non-flex fuel, and would keep your warranty in place if installed by a dealer. They would re-flash your ECM with factory authorized data. And yes you can find the dyno data online. They stopped selling it. But Magnusson picked it up and you can find a supplier online also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased and installed the actual TRD supercharger and installation kit direct from a Toyota Dealer. That was when Toyota offered it for the 5 .7 Non-flex fuel, and would keep your warranty in place if installed by a dealer. They would re-flash your ECM with factory authorized data. And yes you can find the dyno data online. They stopped selling it. But Magnusson picked it up and you can find a supplier online also.
In addition, Magnusson can be installed on a flex fuel, but the owner must absolutely only run Premium gasoline. If you can't find anything online. let me know, and I will post what I have saved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts