Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is what I have. Have a 14' Tundra (double cab limited) for the last 4 years have towed a 26' RV trailer, when loaded is 5500 to 6000lbs. Last summer 14k to Alaska, 5k to Yellowstone, 3k to Myrtle Beach and many more trips. Yes, we travel a lot. Zero issues towing what we had. Plenty of power, perfect handling with a weight distribution hitch with 800 lb. spring bars.

Last week bought a new RV trailer. New one is 28' ( Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS ) and will be 7600 to 8000 lbs. when fully loaded. Truck can handle the weight. With the 1200 lb. trunnion bars for the WD hitch the truck is level, but the trailer measured frame to ground is 3-1/2" lower in the front. I need to go up 2" on the bed of my truck, as the ideal towing measurement should be to have the trailer 1-2" lower in the front.

We traveled 2200 miles to buy the trailer, so I got a good sense on how it rode from OR. back to Ohio. The trailer has a full suspension with 4 shocks and takes everything I-80 going thru IL. and IN. can throw at it and just floats over the chuckholes. Truck just needs a little more stiffer suspension in the rear. I do have the TRD rear stabilizer. The trailer is very tongue heavy. Dry tongue is 840 lbs.

Stopped at a hitch place when I got home and he said air bags are the way to go. He don't mess with them at his shop. And I have zero knowledge on them. From the little bit I have, there are ones you can increase ride height and stiffness, but then take the air back to 5 psi. when not towing.

** note ** Because I have the Tundra Limited 20" rims I have 55 series tires. I'm looking to move to a better 60 series tire with a stiffer sidewall.

Any input to get me started...? As far as air bags....Brand or style?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx...

Question:

What would happen if the air bag failed? Would you still be drive-able towing your RV. Meaning it would be as if you had no air bags at all.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Why not go with a taller ball setup?

Keep in mind this question is coming from someone who does not tow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If air bag fails you default back to stock. I’ve lost air in one of my bags with a fully loaded sled deck. I was fine until I could pull over and fix the leak. It was just some junk in valve, btw.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Take a look at the SSA4 from Super Springs....
I pull a Outback 293UBH and the SS's lifted back end up about 1 3/4". leveled out pretty well when hooked up.
Since you run a WDH should be pretty decent. No air bag failures to be concerned about with a passive system.
But, will need to fab a 2" bracket extension for the parking brakes.

Food for thought.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put Firestone air bags on my 2018 Limited Double cab, they were very easy to install yourself. I didn't have to drill any holes. I fill them up individually. I bought an air pump, I'm keeping 10# in each and my truck feels like it's riding on air. LOL. Going around turns the truck hugs very nice. No leaning. I mounted my air valves on the frame in the wheel well. Firestones doesn't recommend to go over 100# of air. The air pump reaches both sides. I plug it in the rear outlet on the console. Tire deflators easily screw onto your tire valve stem and accurately deflate your tires down to your preset PSI pressure. Just attach the deflator and it will take out the air until it reaches the pressure you what in the air bags. I just write the poundage on the valve. So you know which one to use for what ever your towing. Very easy set up. I found the air bags on line for $301 free shipping, They sent me a coupon for signing up my email. By the way, They should fit 2007-2018. The frames haven't changed since then.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0L7JS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://autoplicity.com/38369-firestone-airbags-ride-rite-air-helper-spring-kit

·
Registered
965 Posts
@superslif - could you post a pic of your setup, especially the WD hitch setup? As @MichaelT suggested, you may just need to adjust the ball height of the hitch. Most WD hitches allow 5 or 6" of adjustment to match the trailer height. Newer trailers, IME, are often setup from the factory with more ground clearance than older trailers which raises the coupler as well. My old travel trailer was set up nicely with coupler height right about inline with the trucks receiver hitch. I pulled a new trailer for an older gentleman a little while ago and the coupler sat a good 2 or 3 inches above that. See if you can get any adjustment out of the hitch ball height which usually entails a couple of 1 1/8" wrenches (or bigger) to move the head assembly up or down. Purchasing a new trailer as you did would necessitate completely starting over on setting up your WD hitch, IMO.

As for air bags, I run a set of Firestone Ride-Rites and love them. No issues at all on or off road, lightly or heavily loaded, in all sorts of weather. While I feel that they would help improve your towing experience, they might not remedy the situation completely... I would make sure to get the hitch height correct first. Once that's set up, measure how much the truck squats in the rear compared to being completely empty. Air bags work great to restore the truck to original or near-original ride height; however, if you are trying to raise the trailer by more than the amount of sag in the rear of the truck, you are asking for some hurt in the form of a super stiff, non-complain ride.

For example, lets say the truck sags 1.5" in the rear with the trailer loaded and hooked up and WD hitch set up correctly. You discover that the trailer is nose down by 3" and you decide you want to raise it 2.5", so you start filing the bags to make the trailer level out. If you use the bags to completely level out the trailer, the back of the truck is now sitting an inch higher that it does when it is completely unloaded. This results in an unnecessarily stiff ride.

So, I'd go ahead and take a few measurements before plunking down some cash for bags only to find out it didn't remedy the situation and you trade one problem for another. Unfortunately, it appears to me that the majority of trailer dealerships don't know how to properly setup a weight distributing hitch on a truck, so find somebody that knows how, youtube it, or look around the forum and ask some more questions to figure out how to set it up yourself. I believe there are several threads about properly setting up a WD hitch on here. Good luck!

Reactions: H2O MAN
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.