Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I'm new on here and making my first post, I need help on something, I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra crewmax 4x4, and I'm running stock headlights. I bought some extremely good and bright Led bulbs and put in the housing and it's bright enough for me, but the problem I have is the light is so scattered and all over the place with several dark spots, how can I fix this issue without going to retrofit or HIDs, thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey yall, I'm new on here and making my first post, I need help on something, I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra crewmax 4x4, and I'm running stock headlights. I bought some extremely good and bright Led bulbs and put in the housing and it's bright enough for me, but the problem I have is the light is so scattered and all over the place with several dark spots, how can I fix this issue without going to retrofit or HIDs, thanks
You are about to catch crap from a lot of members about using LED's in a stock reflector lol. Having dark spots is partially caused by crappy or cheap lighting. There is no way to fix it with your current setup. What did you purchase for the LEDs? As far as headlights, the LED technology isn't quite there yet as far as output and controlling the beam pattern. You will get flashed a lot too because of the glare from the reflector.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I'll bet you are wondering right about now "Why can't I reply to my own thread?"

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
You will get flashed a lot too because of the glare from the reflector.
agree with most of what you said, but this one was not all the way true,

I have LED in mine and while it has the same scatter as the stock halogens, it's no worse. I never get flashed, and the cut is pretty cut while adjusting them on the wall.

a retro would be better but way more money.

hopefully we can swap in the new LED OEM ones from 2018 and solve this once and for all

That said, I didn't buy cheap ass amazon LEDs either, these work well and also pair nice with the morimito XB fogs

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb-review.html

·
Registered
964 Posts
Take out the LED's and put the stock bulbs back in. Simply, the reflector wasn't designed for LED bulbs so the light isn't well controlled; some of the light gets focused so you still have a beam, but some of the light is left to wander where it shouldn't. The same thing happens when people put HID's in to a halogen housing - they throw tons of light EVERYWHERE, especially in to the eyes of oncoming traffic. If memory serves, it has to do with the flame pattern of the bulb (somebody correct my terminology if it is in error). Each bulb type has a different flame pattern - or light pattern at the bulb. (good) Housings are designed to focus and direct parts of the flame into a specific area to light the road while hindering, redirecting, or blocking other parts of the flame to keep stray lighting in check and out of other drivers' eyes. So mixing and matching bulbs and housings is a bad idea.

If you really need more light, either upgrade the factory bulbs to a brighter bulb of the same type (which really isn't ideal because a hotter bulb has a shorter life and typically runs a hotter color temperature), swap the entire housing for the correct applications (I'm not sure they even make LED housings for our trucks), or add some auxiliary, street legal, quality lighting like a set of Hella 500FF lights. I only mention the Hella's because I've run them and have been very happy with them. Cheap LED aux lights will give you the same problem as your current LED bulbs in stock housings; reason being - cheap LED lights spend next to zero time focusing and controlling the beam. Ever pull the lens housing off a MagLite while it's on? It's bright but unfocused and just makes it harder for you to see anything. Cheap LED lights can essentially act the same way. They work great off road and for lighting a campsite, but on road they are atrocious, as are most light bars. I say MOST because some high quality light bars are actually designed for real, on road use. These will cost you a pretty penny.

Unfortunately, there is a grey area in vehicle lighting and legality. Most states define light output rules in watts, color, and number of lights - usually 55 watts for low beams and 65 watts for high beams, white color, and 4-6 lights on at once. As long as your lights are below these wattage thresholds, they are technically legal. HID and LED bulbs use considerably less wattage than sealed beams and halogen bulbs, so aftermarket parts groups can legally sell them, but that doesn't mean that vehicle owners should buy them or use them on road.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.