Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide what kind of exhaust to put on my 5.7 tundra. I'm considering the TRD dual system, the dual MBRP, or a 6" BAMuffler. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on these choices. If anyone has heard all three and can shed some light on the sound and performance differences, that would be great! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
604 Posts
I have the TRD and love it. Had a Gibson dual in dual out muffler on my 09 - replaced it with a FM 50 SUV. Sounded good but I like the TRD more. My mileage seems to be better in the 13 with TRD than the 09 with FM. To new to tell. Seat of pants tells me more power but it may be due to the lighter wallet. :)

· Registered
78 Posts
I was told the mbrp is a little quiter than borla. I have a borla (great price from sparks Trd) and I love my borla set up. Great sound as for performance they are all about the same. You will tell a big difference with the different systems if you add headers. My dt long tube headers really made a huge difference. But out of your choices I would choose either the Trd or mbrp can't go wrong with those imoa

· Registered
2012 Toyota Tundra LTD
465 Posts
BAmuffler, contact dirtydeeds (Keith) or look for the BAmuffler threads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
8,147 Posts
If your Tundra is 09 or newer, I strongly recommend the new TRD. No low end power loss that I could detect, no drone, and it really does sound awesome. Brings smile to my face every time I drive it. Also it's made of 304 stainless steel. I wasn't expecting it, but I get a better mpg, an added bonus. (my exhaust is mated with TRD intake)

If your Tundra is 07 or 08, the new TRD won't fit. BAMUFFLER would be a good option. Contact dirtydeeds aka Keith (see post #4 above). Members who has one swear by it. I don't think it's made of 304 stainless steel though. But I like how it sounds on videos.

· Registered
130 Posts
This is my first Tundra and I've had many other trucks with bolt on kits as well as custom exhaust. I just installed a BAmuffler 8" bolt on system and I can honestly say it is one of the best systems I've ever had. I was concerned when buying exhaust that I was going to end up with poor sounding exhaust with wicked drone. I've never even considered buying custom exhaust sight unseen or heard. After receiving my system and driving on it now one day I'm super happy with it. All of my buddies have commented on how clean the sound is and how good the workmanship is. If it's worth anything, my wife even commented on how deep it sounded and how she likes it. In thirteen years I've only had my wife say one thing about all of my trucks! Good luck with the search, but just be aware of customer service and quality of the build. If you have any questions PM me.

· Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Call Keith at Dirty Deeds Industries (DirtyDeedsIndustries)

From mild to wild, he has your build covered. I am waiting for my 8" bolt on Stainless Steel system to be delivered. That's as mild as it gets, until you press your right foot to the floor. But that's plenty enough for me.

From the (literally) hundreds of excellent reviews, to my actual phone conversation(s) with Keith I am not worried about a thing. Go to you tube and type in Bamuffler Tundra. See for yourself.

and not just on this forum, here is just one more thread on another forum:

BA Muffler 500 mile report

Good luck. Keep us posted what you do.
Rob

· Registered
130 Posts
what is BAmuffler?
Custom exhaust created by the mastermind Keith at Dirty Deed Industries. He spends a lot of attention to the build and customer service.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm really leaning towards the 6" Bamuffler, but there's a few things holding me back:
1. I really like the looks of a dual exhaust system...it's better than the plain jane look of the stock single exhaust.
2. I also want something that has a nice purr while idling and going easy on the gas...I don't want to be loud under these circumstances, but I do want a deep low rumble.

· Registered
7,534 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm really leaning towards the 6" Bamuffler, but there's a few things holding me back:
1. I really like the looks of a dual exhaust system...it's better than the plain jane look of the stock single exhaust.
2. I also want something that has a nice purr while idling and going easy on the gas...I don't want to be loud under these circumstances, but I do want a deep low rumble.
I will have a dual exhaust with X pipe and dual Exit tailpipes after rear tires very soon;) did mock up today. Just need to add a small addition to my jig and it'll fit together really well. I will show pics ASAP. The true duals will exit out the side behind each rear tire.

That said the sound will be awesome and can be tuned however loud or quiet you'd want, I'd help pick the perfect size mufflers for your truck. However, I recommend my standard bolt on system which ties into your stock tailpipe if you have your stock exhaust manifolds or will never get long tube headers. Going true duals on a truck with stock manifolds will cause your exhaust velocity to slow enough that your bottom end is a little blown out. Your transmission will down shift more often and you'll need to step on the throttle harder longer.

ALL true dual systems will do this, there is no exception, it's physics. LOL. But if you have long tube headers that are tuned well you actually have more power and any low end torque loss is off set by good mid range and top end.

I'd be happy to explain in detail. Give me a call.

Keith.

· Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you want a 6 inch BAmuffler. Mine has nice idle and I don't need to stand on the gas to hear it while driving normal. And it doesn't give that head numbing drone on the highway either.

· Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I saw that dirtydeeds (or Keith) thanked you and can only assume by now you have called him (the master mind behind these systems) and got your answers first hand. If not here is what I got from my two conversation with him about almost the exact same thing.

I wanted duals with the pipes exiting behind the rear wheels. I love that look. Keith has assured me the systems he designs for stock Tundras will perform better utilizing a single exhaust pipe and not duals. I am not an automotive engineer but I do understand a little about back pressure and air flow, and how not enough of one or too much of the other will reduce low end torque. So not wanted to reduce power I changed my thinking. I will not sacrifice the performance or sound his systems provide for vanity. And no one is more vane than me. So function over form won this time, with me.

Now, if you have other intake or exhaust mods already in place on your truck, or intend to then your dual option opens up. For this I highly recommend you calling Keith and having him design a system based on those specs/needs.

I have listened to approximately 50-75 videos so far on You Tube. To me, The sound of the single BAMuffler on a non-modified Tundra is way better than any other dual system out there. Let's be clear about something too. I do understand unless the same recording device is used for each different system there will be variations and therefore some consideration should be given on the part of the listener (be it me, or anyone else). There are just too many variables involved with sound recording. But, you can pretty much get the jist of them and know what you like or don't like.

As far as 6" vs 8" and how it will be for you. I am in the same boat there as well. My experience with You Tube (because that is all I have besides Keiths word, which for the normal person would be enough, but for me since I am odd to be kind to myself, I am still not sure) is that I love the extreme growl the 6" provides when you rev up the engine but don't want to be too loud all the time. The 8" cannot by the law of physics sound exactly the same and is a little tamer, TO ME. I have already placed an order for an 8" bolt on system but I am already second guessing my decision based on the review from another (a much younger I should add) member of the forum. Old age cannot be used to dictate how we have to live though. I am young at heart and still get off on loud heavy metal music, loud Harley-Davidsons, old and new school muscle cars with modified exhausts, etc, etc.

My fear though is two things. Well now three.

1) If I take a long trip (over 3 hours) and use my Tundra, and especially if I am towing my Trike in my 20' trailer will the 6" system bring on a migraine after the first hour. I have experienced this in the past with other trucks and super aggressive tires and the humming they make at highway speeds.

2) And this should not be a concern but it is. Do I want to have a system that will be so aggressive sounding that starting out in lower gears from stops even at slow speeds will sound like I am racing and therefore draw unwanted attention from the law. Where I live the county cops tend to be a little anxious to pull over younger drivers that exhibit this type of behavior. Again, I should not care and it should not be an issue for me but what if I do decide to have that one beer while I'm out? Nowadays all it takes is one.

3) And this is the one that might make me change my mind and go for the 6". Based on some of the video I have seen, I fear, for my taste, the 8" might be a little too mild, and because like I said I still have the heart (my wife says mind, but usually she uses the word "child") of a younger man will the milder sound, unless you are getting on it, force me to "get on it" more?! I will be forced to go faster to hear that sweet sound. Faster = not good when cops are hiding/waiting, but it also equals more MPG's in the long run.

I typically drive with the rpm's hovering around 1.5k - 2k, even from dead stops. I only get on it to pass other vehicles or a another brand truck wants to test the 5.7. hehehe I am a sucker for that......:eek:

I am going to call Keith again today and even though we talked about all this for me, if my system has not shipped I will explain some more about my concerns and possibly switch.

Other members have assured me I should stick with the 8", and I respect their opinions as well as what Keith is telling me. 100%! I just don't want to be the one customer that has any regret.

I wish I lived in Cali because I would make a point to go and spend some time at his shop during an install of both systems and then I would know for sure.

I know this is a lot to take in and I tend to ramble but I wanted to express my sentiment in full for you on this subject.

Rob

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.