Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 CrewMax with 5.7l ff and auto trans. 190k miles, up on all maintenance and running like a top, until today. While driving through a drive through a zoo type thing with the family, started having a progressively worse running engine. We had been slowly moving for about an hour. Shaded, not too hot out. The shaking started getting violent with very little acceleration, and then even while the truck was stopped.
Then, the cel came on and was flashing. I happened to have an obd scanner in the car, so after checking oil pressure, coolant temperature, and a quick look at the engine, I ran the code. I had codes po300, misfire cylinder 2 and cylinder 4 (can't remember those 2 codes), and po420 (bank 1 below threshold). Had trouble climbing a small hill and just felt bogged down.
I popped my head underneath to look for cherry red catalytic converter(s), but I had them replaced several months back so I'm thinking they're not likely clogged. The o2 sensors that were also replaced were tight, and I didn't hear any type of exhaust leak.
I pulled into the closest gas station, took a better look underneath and up top, and went inside to buy some for injector cleaner. Dumped it in, filled up the tank (was at 1/4 tank when all this happened) and it started up smoothly. No cel came on, then it drove like new after that point.
In my mind, there's no way the fresh fuel/injector cleaner made it to where the action is in that short amount of time. I was thinking maybe either bad fuel or junk in the line at first.
Currently the family is getting something to eat, but want to see if anyone had experienced this before in case we can't make it home, so that I have a plan of attack.
My gut tells me it's the beginning of a fuel pump dying, but I don't know. Even if you see this post days from now, I'd like to know what you think. Thanks;

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ignition coils are common to go, loosing 2 at once seems rare, but could happen. Just disconnect the coil as it's running if no change in engine running worse, then it's bad. Takes 2 seconds to figure out. If you had a misfire on 2,4,6,and 8 then that's a jumped timing belt. Not your case. I keep coils in my truck for a reason, and a 10mm socket wrench. Dont get stranded for something this simple to replace on the side of the road. I hope that's it and nothing serious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a follow up...
I haven't had that issue again, but I do have a resilient cel . The wonderful po420 is back. That was the cheapy aftermarket one that I bought. The OEM side that I cleaned is flawless!!! Glad I saved the cat from the aftermarket replacement, that will clean up nicely as well.

Hoping there was just trash in the fuel and it was a fluke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts