Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the struts on my 08 Tundra 4x4 TRD. The front left coil spring is cracked and needs to be replaced. Rockauto doesn't show a listing for my truck.

Does the aftermarket make coil springs for my truck or am I stuck buying from Toyota?

·
Registered
238 Posts
First to come to mind... Toytec... Eibach....Dobbins...Icon....Ready lift... And the bestest of the best. Rough Country... Joking.
I'm running Toytec2.0 aluma series full Coilovers lift kit.. Happy as Hell... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First to come to mind... Toytec... Eibach....Dobbins...Icon....Ready lift... And the bestest of the best. Rough Country... Joking.
I'm running Toytec2.0 aluma series full Coilovers lift kit.. Happy as Hell... Hope this helps.
I saw some of those, but are they stock height? I am not interested in any lift.

I was almost considering ordering some quick struts, using the springs, and then trying to sell the struts. It's dumb that the aftermarket makes quick struts but not replacement springs. I spent way more by ordering Bilstein struts and new mounts as my coils looked decent. Maybe I should have just done the quick struts.

Order OEM replacements from McGeorge
Thanks. I will check their prices. The other issues is that there are many different listings for my truck, nor sure which are the correct springs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Avoid quick struts for the Tundra... they are okay for cars, but not heavy trucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the struts on my 08 Tundra 4x4 TRD. The front left coil spring is cracked and needs to be replaced. Rockauto doesn't show a listing for my truck.

Does the aftermarket make coil springs for my truck or am I stuck buying from Toyota?
They are available aftermarket. I just put old man emu on my tundra.. (sorry I got rid of the factory stuff or you could of had it.. my bad) but anyway they are out there ..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any aftermarket stock height springs but definitely would buy used springs if they were rust free. I could get one spring from the Toyota dealer but the other was backordered. I need my truck, so the only option I saw was to order some KYB quick struts. My plan is to disassemble the quick struts, use the springs from the KYB struts with my new Bilstein struts. I hope the KYB springs are decent. The KYB quick struts were cheaper than buying new springs from the dealer - which were $345 CDN per spring!

·
Registered
6 Posts

I had the same issue last week. And due to parts unavailability, I had to buy loaded struts. Was basically the same price, but not the strut cartridge I wanted.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You should be able to get some used shocks with the OEM springs on them for pretty cheap. Check ebay or Facebook Marketplace. I believe they are all the same for all years from 07 to 21 and I think they are the same for 2wd and 4wd. You just need to match the engine size (4.7/4.6 or 5.7). The only ones I would avoid are the Rock Warrior or TRD Pro because I think (think) these are different rate springs. And there is a left and right so don't get them mixed up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got the truck fixed yesterday. The new loaded KYB struts definitely have a different spring than OEM Toyota. The wire diameter is not as thick, but the springs are definitely taller. I removed the OEM springs, my driver side coil was broken. I installed the KYB springs on my new Bilstein struts without issue. The new springs caused the truck to sit about 1.5" to 2" taller at the front, but KYB says the spring should settle. I am okay with it, as my truck was kind of low at the front before.

The new springs made a huge difference in the ride. The truck is very smooth now, less harshness but absolutely zero float. The KYB springs and Bilstein's seem to be a nice combo.

So now I have brand new KYB struts and mounts, which I plan to try and sell.

Here is the broken spring. Note the sharp end where the coil cracked:

Wood Automotive tire Gas Composite material Metal

Here are my new Bilstein Struts with the OEM springs and the new KYB loaded struts:

Green Automotive tire Wood Water Gas

Here are is the new KYB spring on the Bilstein strut:

Light Automotive tire Line Coil spring Gas

And here is one installed in the truck:

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Motor vehicle Rim

I had the same issue last week. And due to parts unavailability, I had to buy loaded struts. Was basically the same price, but not the strut cartridge I wanted.
I did the same, got KYB loaded struts as they make one specific to the TRD package, while most others only make non-TRD.

You should be able to get some used shocks with the OEM springs on them for pretty cheap. Check ebay or Facebook Marketplace. I believe they are all the same for all years from 07 to 21 and I think they are the same for 2wd and 4wd. You just need to match the engine size (4.7/4.6 or 5.7). The only ones I would avoid are the Rock Warrior or TRD Pro because I think (think) these are different rate springs. And there is a left and right so don't get them mixed up.
I looked around, but couldn't find any used springs or loaded struts anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You should have stuck those KYB's on there! I just put a set on the front and back and the truck is so much smoother. It is an amazing difference over the Bilstein's. The rear shocks make more difference than the front for sure. I installed the rear KYB Gas A Just on the rear first and it made probably 80% of the difference ann then I installed the fronts and they made about 20% of the difference. The ride is much smoother, less harsh, less highway hop. Not sure they would be better for off road stuff, but around town and highway driving I really like them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should have stuck those KYB's on there! I just put a set on the front and back and the truck is so much smoother. It is an amazing difference over the Bilstein's. The rear shocks make more difference than the front for sure. I installed the rear KYB Gas A Just on the rear first and it made probably 80% of the difference ann then I installed the fronts and they made about 20% of the difference. The ride is much smoother, less harsh, less highway hop. Not sure they would be better for off road stuff, but around town and highway driving I really like them.
I am happy with the Bilstein's over the KYBs. My originals lasted for 13 years, and still weren't totally trashed. I have run Bilsteins on other trucks and cars over the years and I really like them. Plus, since I already installed the new Bilsteins, I can't return them. However, if someone wants a brand new set of KYB gas-a-justs, shoot me a PM.

As for the new springs and shocks, after a week of driving on them, the truck is riding very nice. The front springs might have settled a bit, but they are still definitely taller than my OEM. I am okay with it, makes the truck look a bit better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts