Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is what I am dealing with:

I bought the truck from this guy that had a new head unit, all new door speakers, an amp installed and wired for a sub. He never had a sub woofer hooked up. Pics below. My local shop wants $130 to install the Pioneer Sub (below as well). I have installed a home stereo system, seems similar. But I don't want to screw it up. Also, my rear passenger side door speaker is blown. I saw a tutorial on how to remove the door panel, would that be a pretty straight forward replacement if I got a 6 1/2 inch speaker? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is what I am dealing with:

I bought the truck from this guy that had a new head unit, all new door speakers, an amp installed and wired for a sub. He never had a sub woofer hooked up. Pics below. My local shop wants $130 to install the Pioneer Sub (below as well). I have installed a home stereo system, seems similar. But I don't want to screw it up. Also, my rear passenger side door speaker is blown. I saw a tutorial on how to remove the door panel, would that be a pretty straight forward replacement if I got a 6 1/2 inch speaker? Any advice would be appreciated.
If that amp is already installed and ready to play then this will be a breeze. The sub will simply connect to the amp and you hide the wires. I can walk you through tuning as well.

You will need to buy a set. For back speakers I don't recommend dropping a lot of cash as they are barely if at all audible from front(which is a good thing). The alpine type Rs are decent the Polk dbs seem to be pretty popular. What do you have up front.

As for getting the door off it is VERY simple. There is a screw inside the door pocket(where you pull to close the door). There is a plastic panel behind the door handle that pops out and reveals a screw behind it. You will have a push pin for the top piece. You push in the middle and you will hear a click and then you can pull the little pin out. You will then pull out at the bottom of the door to pop it out(there will be christmas tree tabs holding it in). You will need to unhook the plug for the window as well as the cables for door lock and release, all of which are simple. after which you push up on the door panel and lift the lip over the window edge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that amp is already installed and ready to play then this will be a breeze. The sub will simply connect to the amp and you hide the wires. I can walk you through tuning as well.

You will need to buy a set. For back speakers I don't recommend dropping a lot of cash as they are barely if at all audible from front(which is a good thing). The alpine type Rs are decent the Polk dbs seem to be pretty popular. What do you have up front.

As for getting the door off it is VERY simple. There is a screw inside the door pocket(where you pull to close the door). There is a plastic panel behind the door handle that pops out and reveals a screw behind it. You will have a push pin for the top piece. You push in the middle and you will hear a click and then you can pull the little pin out. You will then pull out at the bottom of the door to pop it out(there will be christmas tree tabs holding it in). You will need to unhook the plug for the window as well as the cables for door lock and release, all of which are simple. after which you push up on the door panel and lift the lip over the window edge.
Thanks! I am doing this in the next couple of weeks, the rear door this week. I will PM you to get some more info when I get the sub. Appreicate the feedback.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck, it is easy. When you pop the door panel off check the actual door to make sure none of the christmas tree clips stayed in the door. For replacement speakers check the depth, you may have to make a spacer if there isn't one already in the door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts