Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken my 07 tundra 4x4 in twice for the same issue and they say they can't hear what I'm complaining about.

The back story....

I'm pretty sure I've got the dreaded front diff problem with the growl. Its started out very low and it went away after I drive a couple miles. In other words... I just hear it in the morning. I took the truck and they said they didn't hear anything.

Well the problem go worse when it got colder... it got really "loud". But still would go away after driving 4 or 5 mile and I live 30 miles from the dealership. It got so bad that I decided to put it in 4 wheel low and see what happened (I believe the thing isn't coming out of 4 wheel drive properly)

I like to have never gotten it out of 4 wheel low. In fact. I got stuck in-between and it wouldn't go at all. I got out and shock the truck..... it finally come out of 4 wheel low.

Guess what... the stinking thing has quit making the noise all together. Nothing. I took it back in and fussed about it getting stuck and how it was making a "noise" and now they are telling me I just have a bad wheel bearing on the driver side. They ordered the part.

I really believe my front end is messed up. I only have about 43,000 miles on it but I've had it almost 5 years. The warranty will up soon and I have read that it cost $4500 to get the front end replaced.

I'm thinking about asking them to pull out the front cv joint out of the front axle when they replace the bearing and see if there is any wear on it.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Pretty sure you have to be stopped to disengage 4low. 4high will disengage any time. the growl is likely low or dirty gear oil. A wheel bearing will also grind as it burns out, then it will scream. Then its done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure you have to be stopped to disengage 4low. 4high will disengage any time. the growl is likely low or dirty gear oil. A wheel bearing will also grind as it burns out, then it will scream. Then its done.
I was stopped when I disengaged the 4 wheel low. It wouldn't come out of gear unless I rocked the truck (push it by hand). The second time I tried it wouldn't come out of gear unless I disengaged the parking brake and let the truck roll backwards. (I was on a slight incline at the time).

I don't know how the gear oil could have gotten low or dirty. I have never had a leak and I park on concrete everyday. I would have noticed a leak.

Hopefully its a wheel bearing.

I still don't think it is. Its roaring or growling and I would think it would get worse the faster I went and it only does it when I slow down between 30 to 15 miles and hour. Its the classic symptoms of the front differential problem associated with the TSB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts