Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reviewing brakes are always funny because you are usually replacing crappy old brakes with warped rotors, so basically anything new in there is an upgrade.
This is that kind of review.
My OEM replacement rotors and OEM replacement pads needed to be replaced after 30k miles. Upon removal of my pads and rotors I noticed pads with plenty of material. However, the rotors were very warped and I decided to try a different route. Enter the Napa Adaptive One Pads and Reactive One Rotors.

The pads are interesting because they are two compounds. One compound is specific for one side of the wheel and the other for other side of the wheel.

The rotors are interesting because they are slotted but are not directional.

Pads are $60ish and the rotors are $130/ea.

As far as the performance, they are very nice. The pedal feels firm and the brakes modulate well. I haven't experienced the brake fade I experienced with the Toyota stuff.

They have a lifetime warranty too.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Replacing mine next month along with new tires.
Can't stand the pulsating pedal and shake in the steering wheel any longer.
Loved the brakes when it was new.
Keep us posted on how they work out.
How does the lifetime warranty work on a wear item?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Most likely lifetime warranty against warping etc.

Installed a set on a jeep that was lifetime warranty against rusting out, and warping. Wear warranty for xx miles/months.

Might be different with these.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All the research I've read. The warranty says normal wear isn't covered, but every example I've seen has showed people being successful returning and getting new pads after many miles, etc...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just replaced my fronts with EBC BSD rotors with Green Supreme brake pads. Way better than stock. I have the rears sitting waiting to go with the Greenstuff pads since they do not make the Green Supreme for the rears.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Reviewing brakes are always funny because you are usually replacing crappy old brakes with warped rotors, so basically anything new in there is an upgrade.
This is that kind of review.
My OEM replacement rotors and OEM replacement pads needed to be replaced after 30k miles. Upon removal of my pads and rotors I noticed pads with plenty of material. However, the rotors were very warped and I decided to try a different route. Enter the Napa Adaptive One Pads and Reactive One Rotors.

The pads are interesting because they are two compounds. One compound is specific for one side of the wheel and the other for other side of the wheel.

The rotors are interesting because they are slotted but are not directional.

Pads are $60ish and the rotors are $130/ea.

As far as the performance, they are very nice. The pedal feels firm and the brakes modulate well. I haven't experienced the brake fade I experienced with the Toyota stuff.

They have a lifetime warranty too.
Killer write up. I can't believe I used the search bar here for once ; )

So my Tundra 2014 has around 40k miles. The rotors were turned, and pads replaced at the dealer a few months back. Now I'm noticing the driver front is making a slight "Squeak squeak" sound. I can hear it at low speeds, and I can make it go away by braking. I jacked up the front end, took the tire off, and spun the rotor. It clearly has a spot where it rubs the pad(s). It's lame that it warped so quickly. Oh well!

The pads are pretty new, I'd hate to have to replace them because of installing these Napa rotors. Does anyone think I'm fine with keeping my newish stock pads with the new Napa rotor? They have no damage as of now. Just wondering your opinions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always scour the old pads so when you bed them in with the new rotors they will bed as if they were "new"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
You could always scour the old pads so when you bed them in with the new rotors they will bed as if they were "new"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking - Give the pads a good scuffing with sand paper instead of buying new. I know pad and rotor material combo's can be problematic, or I've heard, so I figured I'd check here. I can't see anything unusual or unique about these Napa pads, other than the squiggly cutouts for cooling.

·
Administrator
10,981 Posts
Before you start ripping things apart and sanding pads, have you tried the brake break in procedure? This works really well when there's buildup on the pads or rotors or an unevenness. Most of the time, this fixes the problem and if the rotor is truly warped, you'll still fell it.

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

Those Napa rotors are made by Raybestos, I just put the same set on with new Hawk pads. They're half the price at Rock compared to Napa.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/raybestos,980584PER,rotor,1896

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/raybestos,980583PER,rotor,1896

·
Registered
662 Posts
Before you start ripping things apart and sanding pads, have you tried the brake break in procedure? This works really well when there's buildup on the pads or rotors or an unevenness. Most of the time, this fixes the problem and if the rotor is truly warped, you'll still fell it.

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

Those Napa rotors are made by Raybestos, I just put the same set on with new Hawk pads. They're half the price at Rock compared to Napa.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/raybestos,980584PER,rotor,1896

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/raybestos,980583PER,rotor,1896
Wow huge price difference at Rock Auto. I'll use them in the future for sure. I already completed my order with Napa, so I may go through with it instead of cancelling.

If the circumstances allow it, I'll try that bedding in process before I swap the rotors. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Picked up the rotors today. They look real nice. I look forward to trying them out. I'll post pics and what not. I'll make sure to do the bedding process as well. This is something I don't think I've ever done, so why not give it a go. I appreciate the OP, and the others who gave some good advice here.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I dug in today and swapped the front stock rotors with the Napa Reactive Ones. Easy enough - take the tire off, remove the caliper, bang the rotor with a hammer for a bit, and pry it off with a large screwdriver (don't use the dust shield as leverage!). Since I just had the brakes done not long ago, I just took the caliper off intact, without removing the pads. I did push the caliper pistons in on one side. Installed the new rotors (after cleaning). The pins and springs looked a little worn, so I suspect they weren't replaced when the dealer did the pad swap/caliper turn. So I threw in new caliper clips while I was at it. $5.00 at Advance Auto.
I did the bedding process as best as I could. I didn't want to do anything unsafe. Brake feel is normal, even better than before. And of course, no more subtle "chirp chirp chirp."

As usual, I'm glad I visit this site when I'm doing anything to the truck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,981 Posts
Glad it worked out!

Those two screw holes allow you to use two M8 screws to push the rotors off without having to bang on them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Glad it worked out!

Those two screw holes allow you to use two M8 screws to push the rotors off without having to bang on them.
I imagine the dealer turned the rotors on the truck, as they felt like they were never taken off. I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the right screw to gently take the rotors off. Each rotor just needed some hard raps all around, then hitting the pry tool with a hammer a bit. Next time I'll skip the old fashion way.

I only have like ten miles on these rotors. If they hold up, I'll be happy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts