Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - just to not get this lost in my welcome newb topic - I started a new topic.

So I have learned how to disable the "nannies" and wow what a difference - BUT

Yesterday: With Nannies OFF - I cannot seem to get the tires to break lose from a complete stop, foot all the way to the floor on wet ground. It just slugs out and nothing.

Yesterday: With Nannies ON - All the above SAME - same sound, same feel, everything.

Today: With Nannies OFF - Same exact place, ground dry, from a complete stop, foot all the way to the floor, TRUCK BURNS OUT, AWESOME!!!

Today: With Nannies ON - All the above the SAME - TRACTION LIGHT FLASHES ON DASH, but truck still barks lose a little.

Yesterday I could hear the throttle body open and it GASP for air and then just nothingness!!

Today I didn't hear the GASP for air and off the truck went.....

Any suggestions from the collective?????

I just don't want to send it to the shop and pay if nothing is wrong.....

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
You need to get off the dope. It is rotting your brain.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
dude, it is normal.

how did you turn nannies off?
It seems like you may be one of the drivers that actually need the nannies to be on.

the nannies are 3 stage... what stage were you in?

With my truck in just one push, it hooks up ok, but will stop fun if sideways at all or too much wheel spin...

stage 2, a lot better, but will still stop the fun...

stage 3 nothing, one wheel wonder...

there are a ton of variables as far as traction, uphill, downhill, sideways, how recent the rain was, the surface...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Lol well let's see there is nothing wrong with your truck. Like bad dad said spinning tires slow you down, plus its loud and makes you look like a jack ass lol. If you insist on wanting to burn up your tires, turn nannies off put foot on break put other foot on gas. And presto, tires spin, rubber is now being burnt, teas cloud of stinky smoke....... Our trucks are Perry quiet if you want to hear the hear the "gasping for air noise every time, upgrade your air intake, and you will get that noise every time you mash the pedal.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
People who care for children, turn em off by not paying them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I am just trying to use the spinning tires as a test of power. I feel that a V8, floored, on wet ground, the tires should spin.

And yes spinning tires does make you loose races, but no torque also makes you lose races.

I am just trying to say that I have felt a huge difference - with the nannies in the same state both times. DAY ONE - gasp and no power (possible fuel delivery issue, transmission issue, MAF, just shooting in the dark here). DAY TWO - tons of power, acted like I expected it to.

The reason for all this testing is because the wife noticed power losses while the cruise control was on, that it would slug down and then shift, on flat ground with no wind.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I guess I am just trying to use the spinning tires as a test of power. I feel that a V8, floored, on wet ground, the tires should spin.
Oh the tires spin lol.. on a wet road with the nannies off you can be doing 20-40 mph and still spin the tires just with a big foot of throttle.

Do you have the 5.7 V8?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I assume that you just reverse steps to turn the nannies back on am I correct? I have an '08 and I'd like to try this but just don't want to mess anything up. From what I've read it's one push on the VSC button until the car with squiggly lines comes on, then let go and press again for 3 seconds, then another light should come on, then press one more time for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh the tires spin lol.. on a wet road with the nannies off you can be doing 20-40 mph and still spin the tires just with a big foot of throttle.

Do you have the 5.7 V8?
See and here is my problem - this does NOT happen.!.!.! The tires DON'T spin.

I have the smaller 4.6 V8

But still feel that there is a power LOSE issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assume that you just reverse steps to turn the nannies back on am I correct? I have an '08 and I'd like to try this but just don't want to mess anything up. From what I've read it's one push on the VSC button until the car with squiggly lines comes on, then let go and press again for 3 seconds, then another light should come on, then press one more time for 3 seconds.

On my 2010 - you hold the VSC button until the Squiggly comes on - release - press and hold the VSC button again until the Squiggly and TRAC lights come on together - release.

Press the VSC button once to set it back to normal

·
Registered
663 Posts
See and here is my problem - this does NOT happen.!.!.! The tires DON'T spin.

I have the smaller 4.6 V8

But still feel that there is a power LOSE issue.
Well that is a different story then.. I dont have any experience with the 4.6 so disregard my last comment.

I had a 4.7 Ram before my Tundra and let me tell you.. it is a big jump from the smaller V8's to the bigger V8's. Also my 5.7 has 4.30 gears so that needs to factor in also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:) I am not trying to race or prove a point.

I am just trying to really see if there is something wrong with my truck. I have never had a GASSER V8 before and this is nothing like my 08 6.7 Cummins (obviously).

Turning off the NANNIES has answered 3 of the 4 questions that I have. Learning about the Sway and Steering sensors, has answered my questions. I already new about traction control and what it does.

So the last thing is this, "why cannot I not consistantly get the tires to break lose?"

If this is normal for the smaller V8 then great and I am extremely happy with my Tundra, the CrewMax is AWESOME!! I love the body styling and there is nothing that I don't like. But if this is not normal I need to get it fixed.

·
Administrator
10,981 Posts
It's normal. Some times I'll hit the pedal with the nannies on and it will spin, some times I'll have them off and it will stand there, then I wonder if I hit the brakes instead.
I think hammering the pedal to the floor makes it worse. Squeeze it like a trigger and she'll go.

Are you stock or have you made any changes to the tires or suspension? How many miles on it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts