Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a road trip to Death Valley. I've always wanted to take my truck there because there's so much to see and the scenery is beautiful. After visiting the death valley racetrack monument (a dry lakebed where rocks seemingly move by themselves) I took some scenic photos and headed down a graded dirt road to a nearby crater.

Cruising along at 25-30mph I heard a loud 'clunk' on the bottom of my truck. I figured one of my tires picked up a rock and pinged the floorboard because the road had some loose rocks on it here and there, and I kept driving.

A half our later I stop to take some pics of the crater and noticed something on the front of my truck was missing...

Holy crap! I could not believe what I saw...My jaw just dropped as I realized my Tundra'a n-Fab lightbar had completely ripped off my truck, along with all of my expensive offroad lights.

I thought I would report back here because this is where I originally was turned onto the n-fab bumper bar. Upon inspecting the damage it is evident that the steel they use is only a quarter inch in thickness. As you can see the failure was in the thin mild-steel and also cracked at the welds. N-fab also stamps their log in the middle of the bracket, removing about 40% of the bracket's material at the joint:

Fortunately the light bar didn't pole-vault through my floorboard, blow a tire, or fly into the guy's windshield behind me....

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
dude that really sucks, sadly not the first time ive seen failure of the pre runner style light bars. not just nfabs either, alot of guys have broken the bars at the welds. I'm sure nfab will help you out though and atleast help you out with a new bar if not new lights as well.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Anyone ever bump you with their car or do you have people leaning on it alot? I want to get the nfab replacement bumper but this has me re-thinking the game plan.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
At one time I considered getting one of these. I am glad I didn't. I did wonder about the strength of one of these and now I know. I got a Westin Ultimate bull bar instead.

My Westin bull bar took most of the impact when I had an accident while back and the mainly structure did not fail like this light bar (even though the metal pipes themselves were crushed in as you could see below).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It is just a light bar, not meant for impacts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
A lot of the stuff on the market is not made for "real" off-roading and that washboard road to the Racetrack will take its toll on parts. I have blown a shock on that road and came across another vehicle with 2 flats.
Thats why most of my stuff is custom made other than the suspension. You don't see race trucks with the off the shelf bumpers or light bars just not beefy enough to take the abuse.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I won't choose a side of who's fault it maybe. That just sucks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ouch I would get in touch with the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts