Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I live in new jersey, I take care of my truck, no engine warning light was on,, but the paramus nj inspection station failed my tundra, piece of paper they give says it is pollution test failure.. I ask how do I know where to fix or repair this ..he said , have it checked out.. I went home and my Maxiscan OBD scan tool reads no code.. no service check light and no scan tool trouble codes? But new jersey inspection station has the equipment to diagnose a pollution issue but refuses to disclose the problem :confused: Could any out here give me a suggestion as to what it might be before I have to take this to Toyota dealer? They charge just for a diagnostic visit. 2001 tundra limited 4x4 I do hear what may be an exhaust leak but I had Toyota replace my muffler and had them do me 1000.00 for a Y pipe and lower manifold gasket just a couple seasons ago! I am wondering if it is a Cat problem now:confused:. tia, John

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Maybe try some kind of fuel system cleaner or a tune up. I've always been told to make sure the cats are good and hot so they are cleaning to the fullest when they put the sniffer to them.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
If the station told you what was wrong, they'd be doing diagnostic work for little money. Heck, I'd bring my vehicle to them and I don't live in NJ.
You'll need an equipped shop to find out what is wrong. Pay the diag price. It will probably save you money overall. In NY, after you spent a few hundred, they ley you go another year, so be sure to get the diag. cost receipt.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Was this a sniffer test or OBDII only? If the OBD shows the computer as being "NOT READY" some states will fail it even if there are no codes present. Did you recently disconnect the battery? That would cause the not ready condition.

If everything checks out, I'd try a different testing station.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This state is mafia imho, they are trying to discourage us into buying new tonka toys like those ones i seen in that japan tsunami:rolleyes: anyway. It happened a long time ago and i did just that.. heated the cat and changed the oil.. I bet a good long drive would do it too.. i do not want to pay for government pollution policy if they can't even reveal to me why their test equipment can't diagnose the problem! Makes me very angry at insider government practices.. you know they are desperate to rape us anyway they can! jmho, thanks anyways, john

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was this a sniffer test or OBDII only? If the OBD shows the computer as being "NOT READY" some states will fail it even if there are no codes present. Did you recently disconnect the battery? That would cause the not ready condition.

If everything checks out, I'd try a different testing station.
They don't tell ,, the failure statement only threatens me a penalty summons if I don't figure out what they are hiding from me.. these officials are as cold as the air inside that inspection station at paramus new jersey. I asked the guy what it might be because there is no engine light to know and he said go figure it out or take it some place! I believe this is how officials fill their deep pockets imho. even the motor vehicle inspection in nj is tied to corruption. Otherwise they would at least reveal what they diagnosed as failing. not sure what tools or sensors they used.

·
Registered
808 Posts
This has happened to me in NJ and DE several times. Each time I just made sure the engine was nice and hot from a hard drive before getting it tested again. If the line is long don't turn off the motor to wait. That will make it cold and could cause you to fail again. Keep it hot. Even after getting the motor really hot using the heater on a really cold day could be enough to cool the motor and cat down if you're waiting in a long line.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe try some kind of fuel system cleaner or a tune up. I've always been told to make sure the cats are good and hot so they are cleaning to the fullest when they put the sniffer to them.
I just changed my air and fuel filters, also jiffy lube does my oil changes.. I never did a plug tune up , she idols like brand new.. I suppose I could pay to have it looked at but, I honestly think it is todays fuel mixes at the pumps and older vehicle's fuel pollution controls design taking the blame. maybe this 2001tundra is better off with high test octane? I always use cheap 87 octane.. maybe that is it too?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ask around to see if they do a sniffer test, local parts guys are good sources for that sort of info. See if you can find a Scan Gauge or get one, it will show the computers status and any codes or impending codes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ask around to see if they do a sniffer test, local parts guys are good sources for that sort of info. See if you can find a Scan Gauge or get one, it will show the computers status and any codes or impending codes.
If you read above, I have a cheap Maxiscan tool and no codes , meaning it is likely what the others here are suggesting.. I honestly believe it is a government conspiricy.. not that i ever been arrested but, perhaps they are slowly prgressing us to go to their racketeering businesses and certified garages? I think this is it .. sh-ty expensive deteriorating mixed fuel passed by those we voted in and entrusted to serve and protect but, it is actually a big inside job for government corruption.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Check your plugs, if they are original I'd replace them if over 60K miles. Bad plugs will idle fine, put them under stress as in a loaded sniffer test and things can change quickly. Use 93 of you want to, 87 is fine for that motor though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Stock exhaust? I had the same trouble in Colorado.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check your plugs, if they are original I'd replace them if over 60K miles. Bad plugs will idle fine, put them under stress as in a loaded sniffer test and things can change quickly. Use 93 of you want to, 87 is fine for that motor though.
Okay i will but, if the plugs were all that bad, wouldn't the engine light come on under stress ? I don't recall ever doing plugs so I will ck. btw 150k and tundra strong knock on wood!:D

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Are you really that cheap that you are going to jerk around and blame corrupt officials? If they were corrupt, you could have flashed them some cash and got the info.
A dozen year old vehicle and you expect it to be like new? The tests for old vehicles take into account the old standards.
And you haven't done a tuneup yet on a failed vehicle?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
If you haven't already run a tank of seafoam through your truck, this will not only clean the injectors but clean the carbon in the heads. The cats work after the exhaust temp reaches 700-750 degrees. After you've run the seafoam out fill up with 15 gallons of 91 or higher octane and 3 oz. of acetone. If your truck runs good You will pass... the acetone is the key. It allows the fuel to burn much more efficiently and reduces hydrocarbons to extremely low levels. You'll also enjoy about 40 more miles in that tank :) Please update.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I just changed my air and fuel filters, also jiffy lube does my oil changes.. I never did a plug tune up , she idols like brand new.. I suppose I could pay to have it looked at but, I honestly think it is todays fuel mixes at the pumps and older vehicle's fuel pollution controls design taking the blame. maybe this 2001tundra is better off with high test octane? I always use cheap 87 octane.. maybe that is it too?
Found the issue. You don't have any oil. :lol5:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you really that cheap that you are going to jerk around and blame corrupt officials? If they were corrupt, you could have flashed them some cash and got the info.
A dozen year old vehicle and you expect it to be like new? The tests for old vehicles take into account the old standards.
And you haven't done a tuneup yet on a failed vehicle?
You are right in that sense but, why in this day and age of smart phones highspeed data, would a state inspection station not have easy diagnostic tools to help the hands that feed them? Believe me when I state what I mean..the government officials DO turn a blind eye for the power of money these days. jmho, hope no offense is taken,, no not cheap, just a realist trying to get things in order. thank you too:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you haven't already run a tank of seafoam through your truck, this will not only clean the injectors but clean the carbon in the heads. The cats work after the exhaust temp reaches 700-750 degrees. After you've run the seafoam out fill up with 15 gallons of 91 or higher octane and 3 oz. of acetone. If your truck runs good You will pass... the acetone is the key. It allows the fuel to burn much more efficiently and reduces hydrocarbons to extremely low levels. You'll also enjoy about 40 more miles in that tank :) Please update.
Thank you sir!!! God bless you too! ..GOING TO DO THAT PLUS CHECK MY PLUGS TOO.. I do have a can of seafoam spray,, acetone ? not sure what that is but , i'm going to take your advice and hope I find a good tutorial on youtube.. btw, off topic but all this time, am still waiting on my phone to get a turbo tax rep. to speak to for first time turbo tax... was using an accountant who charges 185.00 for my little small handyman business.. i'm not so proud to admit i'm hardly making anything these days.. hoping to save something using turbo tax but will not tolerate a runaround..this wait is rediculous! well over 15 minutes and the wait music is sad ! very depressing lol

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.