Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a second-hand 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5, my first car, from my mother's elder brother a month ago for USD 16,500(what about the price?), and get interested in everything car-related. Yesterday I found a FM transmitter as it is called (http://www.tinydeal.com/fm-transmit-px3k0y--p-4862.html) which is said to "broadcast music from your audio devices to your car stereo". I know FM is something about radio, and my car has been equipped with one. Then it seems that such a thing is not needed as for me. Or if the stuff has anything else good, please tell me. By the way, does it suit my car?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
Shit man, I had to read that twice.

If you don't have a direct input for an pod or other mp3 input, you can buy an Fm modulator. You basically plug it into a cigarette lighter, tune your fm radio to whatever station the modulator operates on and you can play your music that way.

You lose sound quality but there is no wiring to do.

You can get a modulator that runs off a flash drive for around twenty bucks at walmart. They are about as good as any. Then you put your music on your flash drive.

Deal extremes has them as well as ones that will modulate off an mp3 player.

Hard wired will give the best sound quality though. Not modulation.

I just bought a kit for my sons taurus. I think the harness and the ipod cable were around 105 bucks total from Crutchfield.
I bought the single aux output and all together with shipping it was around $110.00 bucks or so.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. In your truck you have an FM receiver. It will receive FM transmissions. Music/Talk, whatever. As long as it is transmitted (modulated) in FM, and within your truck's radio FM range, you can pick it up.

As you notice, the item you are referring to, is a transmitter. That is, it sends out the FM signal for your truck radio to pick up. So, yes, you do need a transmitter if you decide to go that route.
********** Boring but hopefully informative info below *********

Your basic problem is you want to get music from "here" to "there". There being your radio system. The problem is getting the music into the system so it can get it to the speakers, etc. Radio stations use radio signals AM/FM. Generally, end users (us) use CDs/Tapes/8tracks/etc. In modern times, a lot of radios have aux inputs handily available.

In your case, there is one (maybe three) options.

The easiest would be to use the FM transmitter, tune your radio to pickup the transmission and call it good. There is no guess work as to whether this will work as it will work w/ any FM receiver.

Second option would be to pull your radio and look at the back so see if it has any AUX input options. It would be either a single plug or two plugs. It will have the word AUX input or some variety thereof around it. If you have an AUX input, all you would need to do is get an adapter cable to run from the back of the radio to a convenient place to plug it into your portable media. Pretty simple, really. Set mode to AUX and enjoy your music.

Third possible option, if you have a tape player. Run a cassette adapter to your media. It may not be pretty, but it is effective.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
"I'm your Huckleberry"
2,204 Posts
THIS IS SPAM!!!!!! Seriously, no one coaught this? LoL

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts