Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I did it and officially am a Tundra owner now. I have been researching and looking for one for a few months now and finally everything fell into place for me. I am 40 with wifey and 2 kids (11,4) and have never had a truck before. Last two vehicles have been chevy tahoes. Loved them, great people movers with lots of bells and whistles but recently got a travel trailer and that pushed me over the edge.

I originally started looking at double cabs, but then fell in love with crewmax, I will use the interior space more than bed. My must list was basically 2010 or newer, 4wd, crewmax, mag grey, sky silver, or super white. I was flexible on trim packages, but wanted something that looked tough and not a grandpa truck.

I didn't like the rock warriors at first because I thought I needed power seats and didn't love the 17inch rims. But then I really didn't like all the chrome on other trims or ugly stock rims.

So after countless email and internet negotiations I pulled the trigger yesterday. Luckily I live in Northern Cali and have lots of local dealerships. My truck is a 2011 Crewmax RockWarrior 4wd with 23k miles. Has sidesteps, drop in bedliner, backup in rear view and all other basic stuff. I LOVE it. I thought my tahoe had some umpphhh. This thing is a beast. I can't wait to feel the difference towing.

Mods are already coming. Truck in shop today for leveling kit. Going with spacers to raise 2 in front. My only concern is that the wheels are going to look too small in there. But I don't have extra dough to fix that now. So they will stay. Also taking off rock warrior decal tonight. Funny thing is, those two mods were mandatory per wifey.

I have ordered the info switch to see mpg stuff. Lame that doesnt come stock. And will be getting an advent navi system. I had one in my tahoe and it was great. Truly plug and play and Walt at ADC mobile is the man. As soon as I sell my tahoe one, I will get tundra one. Last mod on the list for now is a bed cover. I am looking at some truxedo type ones. I want just something basic that will cover my golf clubs in there. Do not want any hard permanent type ones. Suggestions would be great.

This site has really helped me through my search. Now the fun starts.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Welcome to the Tundra world and congrats on a good lookin' RW!

For bed covers, I have a BakFlip. It is a hard cover that can be locked, simply clamps down to the bed rails only taking about an hour to install. I recommend looking at them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice looking truck! I just bought a TONOPRO tri fold cover from autoanything.com and like it a lot. It was inexpensive and seals nicely. Picked it up for $234 shipped. Also, found later on if you enter promo code WELCOME15 you can get more off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congrats. That's pretty much the truck I want. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it? I'm contemplating new vs used. Even a ball park figure could be helpful.

That's a beautiful truck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats. That's pretty much the truck I want. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it? I'm contemplating new vs used. Even a ball park figure could be helpful.

That's a beautiful truck.
I don't mind at all. I did a ton of research on this site about prices, options etc. Now some people will tell you they got outrageous deal but I think some are padding the stats so to speak.

First of all, I have been in frequent contact with about 6 fleet managers at local dealerships. I live in sacramento area. I have been stalking craigslist and auto trader.

This one came on the lot about 4 days ago. Price online was 36000. After initial email my E-Price was 35,500. (whoopee). I offered 30,500. They came back 34,500. Told them my best was 32,500. They came back there best was 32,999. I said ok.

Once I had that number I worked my trade value with them. email or online negotiations are really the way to go. Once we had all numbers squared up, we met at lot, took a look, test drove. Toyota bettered my credit union pre approval rate also by over a point. I still got suckered in on warranty, (never know) and had to do gap. They threw in weather tech mats though. Truck didn't have any. Hope the numbers help.

I sent initial email inquiry Tuesday about 10am, had price finalized by 3pm that day. Picked up truck Wed after work. Still a 3 hour process, but stress free and no back and forth there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking truck! I just bought a TONOPRO tri fold cover from autoanything.com and like it a lot. It was inexpensive and seals nicely. Picked it up for $234 shipped. Also, found later on if you enter promo code WELCOME15 you can get more off.
So your happy with that cover? does that one flip all the way when open. And is it secure enough to basically cover up some goodies in the back? How does it do with rain? I like the bakflip also but don't really want to spend 800.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! You're gonna love it.

Yes, your wheels will look small after the leveling. No, it's not the end of the world.

I bought a 2009 DC that had a 3/1 kit on and stock 18" steel wheels last November. After much saving, I finally ordered some 20" wheels and tires last week. The good thing about having the small cheap tires on was that I found I had an alignment issue and was able to get it fixed prior to the expensive treads being on. It was much better to have the wear on tires I was planning on getting rid of anyway.

Good luck with your future mods! It sounds like you have a great wife like mine!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Beautiful truck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats! I have the same truck. Love it, it does everything, hauls stuff, hauls kids, tows my trailer, tons of room inside, and looks bada$$ doing it. You will love it on long road trips.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Nice truck....same year as mine except color. You'll love it even more after slapping on the 3/1 level and bigger tires.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Looking good, mighty good!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congrats! Nice truck!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Identical to mine.. Purdy!!