Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone hoping someone might be able to help me track down this Gremlin in my truck.

I have been hearing a whistling type noise from my driver front wheel at varying speeds. It almost always happens when i've been driving the truck for ~20 minutes and then making a bunch of stops or turns at slow speed. Most recently it's happening between 10-15mph and going away at anything above that. Before it was happening right around 35mph, and in one instance i've had it occur at as high as 70mph. The sound goes away pretty much instantly when I apply any kind of brake pressure. Has anyone experienced this before?

I've brought it to the dealer several times and I replaced both the rotors and pads within the last year (last 5,000 miles). I don't drive the truck far often so most days of the month I drive a mile to the train and a mile home and it sits the rest of the day. The shop foreman did a ride along with me today and initially claimed not to hear it but hear more of a brake grinding when I am on the brakes, something that just started today and I also want to have checked out not but not by these guys. After a bunch of talking with the foreman he said he heard it in this video and that it could really be anything and went on to describe even the emergency brake maybe sticking and making a whirling noise which I don't believe is what i'm hearing. I got the gist that he was basically saying "how annoying is it to you the calipers look like the originals we could try replacing those and every other part of the brakes and it still may not fix it". The calipers do appear to be the originals and i'm not opposed to replacing them if there are affordable replacements (it looks like Toyota brand are $300+ a piece) and it's something I could DIY but hate to lay out that kind of money if that's not the cause.

Below is a video clip of me driving from the very start of the video you can hear the whistling and less toward the end once i've applied brakes. Oddly it also goes in/out during the middle of the video too I think that's because bumps in the road are causing it to stop.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Could be surface rust on the rotors. If you don't drive it often or for short periods of time, moisture can cause rust to form on the rotor that you lack of driving doesn't wear off. Look at the rotor before you drive next time and see of there is any rust.

The video didn't help to me at all. Can't hear what you're hearing but did hear what sounded like dragging.

You could also try bedding your brakes.

Here are the basic steps on how to bed your brakes:

1. The bedding-in process requires lots of accelerating and quick decelerating. Perform this process early in the morning and in a low-traffic area so that you avoid other vehicles.
  2. From 60 MPH, apply the brakes gently a few times to bring them up to their usual operating temperature. This prepares your pads and rotors for the high heat generated in the next steps.
  3. Make a near-stop from 60 to about 10 MPH. Press the brakes firmly, but not so hard that the ABS engages or the wheels lock. Once you've slowed down, immediately speed up to 60 MPH and apply the brakes again. Perform this cycle 8-10 times. Do not come to a complete stop! If you hold the brake pedal down while stopped you will leave excessive pad material on the rotors and ruin your braking performance.
  4. Once you've performed that final near-stop, accelerate and drive a bit more, trying to use the brakes as little as possible so they can cool down. Again, do not come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot. (Avoid traffic!)
  5. If you are bedding in performance/racing brakes, you may have to perform extra near-stops from a higher speed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts