Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our trip to Florida is just around the corner, so I decided to buy a set of DVD headrests as an "investment" thinking they will pay off on the long drive to Orlando by keeping the boys busy and entertained.
I didn't want to cough out a lot of money for them, as the trip itself is already burning a decent size hole in my pocket so, after reading and researching I concluded that the autotain brand from onfair would be good enough for the money.

With a price tag of $349 delivered to my door, I received them in about 5 days including weekend so I think is fair to say that shipping is really fast, looks like they shipped the day after I ordered (ordered at night)
They came very well packed, 2 headrests, 3 different sets of posts (metal), plastic sleeves which I did not use, 2 wireless headphones, 2 remote controls, 2 gaming remotes and 2 DVD's full of video games.

The headrests are a bit larger in size and not a round as the original ones, they resemble the rear ones in my opionion so the shape seems to fit the truck.
Material color is not that close a match but hey, close enough for an aftermarket part.

Once you figure out the correct post size, you slide both wires thru the posts and adjust the post spacing (between posts) simply by pushing/sliding both posts towards the center.

Stick the wire connectors thru the holes on the top of the seat (they pretty much fall down the seat back far enough to grab them from underneath) and then slide the new headrests in place. Piece of cake

Onefeature I find to be great is that the headrests tilt back or front so you can adjust them to a comfortable position.

Next I unhooked the 2 elastic loops from the bottom part of the seat back to release the flap to acces the wires. I stuck my hand about 8" up the back and found the wires in a second.

A little power up and video test with supplied cigaret lighter plugs to make sure they work;)

Next, remove the door sill panels and the kick panels to run your wires.
In reality you can run the wires thru the drivers side only, however, I chose to take advantage of the "mess" and install my L.E.D. strip courtesy lights :cool:

Fishing the wires for the L.E.D.'s

Day 2: fabricating my "y" connectors to hook up to the fuse box via ADD A CIRCUIT
Not very impressed with the liquid tape, I thought it'd dry faster and harder, just an FYI

And at the bottom, videos of the end result. So far I am very pleased with the autotain DVD headrests. The image quality is surprisingly good. The speakers blow in the worst way, but you can connect them wirelessly to the head unit via the built in fm modulator or use the headphones which ultimately make the most sense:lol5:
With all the right tools and parts laid out on the table, it should take about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to install both the headrests and the LED's. I off course couldn't wait till the weekend so I started the night they came, after work and couldn't finish. I put everything back together thinking the next afternoon I would finish, but Mother Nature had different plans. It rained cats and dogs for 2 consecutive days so I finally finished today.

PS, if you happen to order these, don't forget (LIKE I DID) to connect both headrests if you plan to use 1 of them as a slave so your kids can watch the same movie simultaneously. I had to take the right side apart and re do it:rolleyes:

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/...84AC8C6-5506-000007B2372BD840_zps9179342e.mp4

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/...98D1B19-5506-000007B27A984B0C_zpsafc6e3d4.mp4

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those of you who are not familiar with the courtesy light mod, the LED's light up when:
1.You unlock your doors with the remote.
2.You open any of the 4 doors
The lights fade in and out just like the interior lights.
Great, cheap mod.

Also, the video seems pixelated but that's because of the download quality (photobucket) the actual video is crisp and detailed.

To power the led's I used an add a circuit ($8 at autozone) and used the "power inverter" fuse which is factory hot and has constant power, but replaced the fuse with a 7.5 amp.
To power the DVDs I used the same method above, but used the 15amp cig lighter slot, kept same size fuse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You make it seem so easy. Did you have a hard time sliding the cables through the new posts? It was tight and hard as h* and I end up breaking the black end and had to get a new headset. Used it for our first fishing trip today and it was great but use wire headphones cause the wireless headphones had statics and volume is low. Is yours the same?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That looks good, where you ran that wire in from underneath the car I would recommend running it through the grommet instead of pinched between it and the metal it will eventually run through the insulation on the wire, if you want it to have a good seal poke a small hole with a tiny screw driver it will be hard to force the wire through but the grommet will seal tight against it. Hose headrests match really well with your truck. I need to put some in mine my kids hate riding with me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You make it seem so easy. Did you have a hard time sliding the cables through the new posts? It was tight and hard as h* and I end up breaking the black end and had to get a new headset. Used it for our first fishing trip today and it was great but use wire headphones cause the wireless headphones had statics and volume is low. Is yours the same?
I really feel that it was easy! I did have a hard time putting the wires thru the first post, nothing a file wouldn't take care of ;)
As with any installation or modification, it is always easy if you have the right tools. No tools=hard to work.
We didn't have a problem with the wireless headphones, I used them and I think they work great.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the controls and headphones are quality stuff because they are not, but if a remote control brakes, it is just $4 to replace.

The one thing I would complain about is the headrest position. I don't like that you can only either watch a movie or ride comfortable. IMO the screen is the one that should be adjustable so both the driver and the passenger can have what they want. Maybe I am just too picky :dunno:

That looks good, where you ran that wire in from underneath the car I would recommend running it through the grommet instead of pinched between it and the metal it will eventually run through the insulation on the wire, if you want it to have a good seal poke a small hole with a tiny screw driver it will be hard to force the wire through but the grommet will seal tight against it. Hose headrests match really well with your truck. I need to put some in mine my kids hate riding with me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The photo of the wires pinched by the grommet is from when I started the install and left it half way. I did route the wires thru the grommet like you said. What I didn't do was buy the corrugated plastic hose thing for the exposed portion of the wires that run from the grommet to the strip (around the frame)

Also, I am pretty happy that I finally found a way to use the big overhead console (otherwise useless spaces to me) to store the remotes.
For my kids riding with me was like meh, now they won't stop bugging me to take them for a ride :rolleyes:

Reactions: Platinumb
1 - 5 of 5 Posts