Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my first Tundra tonight and drive it 65 miles home. Then sat in it a while to get more acquainted with the features. Prior to this, I've owned 9 vehicles and two motorcycles, which includes a Tercel, Forerunner and '89 Toyota "Pickup" - did lots of Rocky Mountain four wheeling in my younger days. And now this Tundra

I like the way it drove. Smooth, quiet and seems like just the right amount of power. Good visibility all around. I did not feel like I had major blind spots. Loved the backup camera. I would have liked to see lanewatch like our Honda minivan, but I can live without it I suppose.
Good ergonomics in the seats. I'm not a large guy (6.0 and 190lbs). The seat fit just right. "TOYOTA!!! Thank you for NOT making the headrests push my head forward and down like Honda does on the Odyssey!!!!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!"
Good design on all the knobs and levers. Able to work them well with or without gloves.

Now for my other list.

What the heck!!!!???? No automatic on/off headlights in the SR5? @#$#@% My 2006 Silverado LT had automatic headlights!!!!!!! I thought this was standard on the most basic el cheapo car these days. WOW. I just can't believe it. Toyota........hello......McFly.... my kid can build a light sensor with his Arduino. This isn't cutting edge engineering. Doesn't it cost more to stock more inventory than to just make automatic headlights on all your vehicles? This is my NEWEST vehicle ever. It's been many years since I have had to remember to turn headlights on/off. Sorry, but this is a big deal to me. On top of all this, Toyota teases me with a menu in the headlamp menu in the Entune touchscreen. That's right, I can adjust the headlamps auto-on sensitivity and headlamps auto-off timer for fun if I want, but since my headlamps are 100% manual, I'm just pretending. [Shakes head in disbelief.]

Dash illumination. I picked up the truck from the dealer at night. I noticed that the mirror adjustment buttons are not illuminated. I thought perhaps they were burned out. Nope, quick google search indicates this is normal.................normal? All other buttons are illuminated.

Dash options. Right between the speedometer and the tachometer is a driver information menu. Nice design. I'm able to scroll through different menus such as current fuel economy, avg fuel economy, miles left on gastank, etc. I found it surprising that there is not an indication of when the next oil change is due. This is a big deal to me!!!!!!!!!!! Who knows if the dealership changed the oil. I had better get it changed right away to be conservative/safe.

I was surprised that this 2016 truck does not have some sort of variable cylinder management stop fuel delivery to a couple of pistons when the power is not needed. This isn't a huge deal to me, but compared to other full-size trucks, I don't think Toyota is anywhere near the leaders when scoring fuel efficiency.

My last complaints are more about the dealership.
Nearly-empty tank of gas. When I asked, they put in 10 gallons. Drove home with less than half a tank.
No floor mats. This was a Cadillac dealership. They said that they could "probably order" some and ship them to me. I'll believe it when I see it.
No running boards, but all literature (online and in print) said it comes with running boards. They were not in the pictures, so I didn't really expect them. (I need to stop expecting people to be honest and detail-oriented.)

Overall, I like the truck. It's not a TRD. Shrug. I drive the flatlands of the midwest and drive my kids to state-operated brain washing um, er public school every day, or sports. Perhaps I'll put nice wheels on it; install seat heaters and leather upholstery and a Tonneau cover. All in time......perhaps. Kids....college....$.....perhaps not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds Like you’re overall happy. Hope it brings you lots of fun over the years. I will say I’m glad the tundra doesn’t have the bs displacement shut down. My 07 avalanche did, and it ate oil. No offense if I want fuel economy I’d get something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

The auto headlights can be added. I have it in mine, but never use them because the lights are on when starting in the dark. Half the year it's below zero here, and I need those cranking amps. You bought a SR5, which is the budget conscious model. With that you loose options.

Toyota has never been shy selling stripped models, all the way down the stamped steel wheels in modern vehicles. But, those price points can be make or break in putting people in a Toyota. Remember you bought a Tundra for a reason. All the gimmiky junk that you're used to can still be found in the big 3....

Also there is a service engine soon light to cover your oil changes. It should kick on around the 4500 mile mark.

ENJOY, your purchase, you'll be happy for many miles in that rig.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I guess I don't understand the big deal on lighted mirror adjustment buttons. I don't adjust ours unless my wife needs to drive the Tundra...which is once in a blue moon. What's needed to be lit, is lit. I'll echo what Radial said, there is a write up on TT on how to add the auto headlight function. You just have to have some time and parts. There are vendors here that can help with that.

Oil changes are at every 10k miles for the standard engine and every 5k miles for the flex fuel engine (and every 2500 miles, IF you run E85 more than 50% of the time). Get your oil changed on whole numbers and it's fairly easy to remember when to change the oil. Make sure it is 0w-20.

Toyota hasn't changed the power plant design in a while. It's not fancy. It's reliable and powerful. The gas mileage isn't great. That being said, no one purchased a Tundra for it's fantastic fuel efficiency. If it's an issue, you'll need to find another truck or car.

Welcome to TT. There are a lot of really great people here that are willing to help you out on your Tundra needs. There is also a metric ton of information on how to do things and what others have done to their trucks. What works and what doesn't. Most of it is entertaining to read.

--Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
The headlights on my 2014 Double Cab SR5 model don't turn on by themselves but do turn off by themselves after a few minutes when you turn the truck off. I imagine the 2016 does the same thing. But I heave been known to be wrong before. Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...What the heck!!!!???? No automatic on/off headlights in the SR5? @#$#@% My 2006 Silverado LT had automatic headlights!!!!!!! I thought this was standard on the most basic el cheapo car these days. WOW. I just can't believe it. Toyota........hello......McFly.... my kid can build a light sensor with his Arduino. This isn't cutting edge engineering. Doesn't it cost more to stock more inventory than to just make automatic headlights on all your vehicles? This is my NEWEST vehicle ever. It's been many years since I have had to remember to turn headlights on/off. Sorry, but this is a big deal to me. On top of all this, Toyota teases me with a menu in the headlamp menu in the Entune touchscreen. That's right, I can adjust the headlamps auto-on sensitivity and headlamps auto-off timer for fun if I want, but since my headlamps are 100% manual, I'm just pretending. [Shakes head in disbelief.]

...I was surprised that this 2016 truck does not have some sort of variable cylinder management stop fuel delivery to a couple of pistons when the power is not needed. This isn't a huge deal to me, but compared to other full-size trucks, I don't think Toyota is anywhere near the leaders when scoring fuel efficiency.

...No running boards, but all literature (online and in print) said it comes with running boards. They were not in the pictures, so I didn't really expect them. (I need to stop expecting people to be honest and detail-oriented.)

Overall, I like the truck. It's not a TRD. Shrug...
You're not in Chevyland anymore, Dorothy...but, I promise you, you'll probably never go back. :D

It's a good thing the automatic headlights are first on your "con" list...that's an easy fix on your SR5, since Toyota has conveniently already provided the necessary harness wiring to the sensor location and the steering column switch. (I BELIEVE that is correct for the SR5; you'll probably want to pop up the speaker grille and look for the sensor harness to be sure.)

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...-diy-add-autolights-sr5-2014-plug-n-play.html

You will have to buy the 89121-06020 light sensor (cheap knock-offs? on ebay, $$ from Toyota), and the 84140-0E100 auto headlights with fog light switch (if you have the fog lights, another PN if you don't). It will cost you about $100-$300 depending on where you source the parts. It's an easy install with no special tools. (Unless you count a torque wrench as "special".) JUST DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS HARNESSES before that steering wheel comes off suddenly...that headspace will cost you another $100+ after the "spiral cable sub-assembly" (clock spring cable) stops squirming around in your lap. Talk to Roman at Toyota of Cool Springs after you've found the cheapest parts prices; they're a sponsor and offer a "FORUM20" 20% discount to TT members. ;)

Toyota has always sacrificed efficiency (fuel economy) for the performance and reliability of their trucks. If it takes a certain richness of the fuel/air ratio, a 3.9+ rear axle, and heavy tank-strong suspension components for your Tundra to start easy, run well, tow and haul well, and last a long, long time, then that's what you get on your Tundra with no other choices. The resulting mpg is what you get too. If Toyota is ever convinced that cylinder-skipping is a not a reliability issue long term, then you might see it on a Toyota. They have already tried super-charging, and evidently decided the potential sacrifice in reliability wasn't something the corporation would continue to endorse.

If you bought a "special edition package" like TSS on your SR5, then you get running boards. If running boards are not on a TSS, they've been removed and re-purposed. On a used truck, without the original TSS premium tires, you're probably just as well off to chose your own step boards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overall, I'm happy with the truck. I know the reliability of Toyota and that was my primary concern.

Side note: I have a 2006 Silverado Hybrid. The stator in the starter/gen went out. Truck has been to two dealerships. GM disco'd the part years ago - part not available, no aftermarket parts. There's a few defunct websites that look like they carry the part, but when you try to add to the cart or checkout, then you learn it's not. So my KBB $10K vehicle is worth scrap (about $2K). So yeah, I'm back to Toyota. Why did I ever leave?

This TT forum is a great community. Thank you guys for letting me know that I can install the auto headlights. I'll probably do it this summer. Woo hoo!

btw, my "con" list is really more so a list of my observations than serious complaints. I'm an engineer by trade so I tend to be analytical.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...Side note: I have a 2006 Silverado Hybrid. The stator in the starter/gen went out. Truck has been to two dealerships. GM disco'd the part years ago - part not available, no aftermarket parts. There's a few defunct websites that look like they carry the part, but when you try to add to the cart or checkout, then you learn it's not. So my KBB $10K vehicle is worth scrap (about $2K). So yeah, I'm back to Toyota. Why did I ever leave?

...I'm an engineer by trade so I tend to be analytical...
Yeah, I took a bath on a six-year-old Olds Cutlass that I traded for my first Toyota (I usually keep my cars/trucks at least ten+ years). I finally got another Toyota truck 30 years later, and I still had the original too...sold it for collector money.. :D

I bet there are a "plethora" of those hybrid Silverados in the junk yard, too...just waiting there to have their parts mined. If you ARE lucky enough to find one in a junk yard, it'll probably be missing the motor/generator. Keep checking those salvage dealer listings on eBay..."you never know what might fall out of the sky and hit you". Fix it, then sell it for as much over $2000 as you can get for it. ;)

One thing you can think about: What would it cost to convert the truck to a straight gas engine Silverado using an engine/transmission/ECU from the junk yard? You can probably get an engine transmission for those old trucks cheap. Is it worth throwing more money down the "rathole" to possibly get more back?

What discipline engineer are you?...electrical, mechanical, civil?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds Like you’re overall happy. Hope it brings you lots of fun over the years. I will say I’m glad the tundra doesn’t have the bs displacement shut down. My 07 avalanche did, and it ate oil. No offense if I want fuel economy I’d get something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also had a 2017 Tundra Limited that was missing the auto position on the stalk so in order to get daytime dash lights I had to turn on the headlights .. Also the unlighted mirror switch did not set well with me and the back seat window switches were also unlighted. Another gripe was that starting with the 2014 Tundra they removed the drivers side grab handle . I bought the handle and trim using 2013 part numbers and replaced it ( the mounting brackets were still there )and it is still missing on the 2018 Tundra and also the 2017 and 2018 Tacoma but it's on the 2018 Sequoia . My other gripe was the dash switches behind the right side or the steering wheel ;you cannot see them while driving without leaning way over to the right and who wants to do that at 70MPH ? This was my second Tundra ; my first was a 2008 SR5 that had all of the missing features that I have described . I tried to get the auto feature by replacing the stalk but nothing worked ( I didn't see this post) so I ended up trading it for a 2017 Highlander Limited with the factory hitch and bought a 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage LB to haul trash and other things that I didn't want to use my Limited to do because I was afraid of damage . I told the dealer and Customer Relations in Ca. that Toyota should add new features instead of taking them away and replace the head Tundra exec with the Highlander or Sienna exec who knows how to build and outfit a near perfect vehicle (I have a 2015 Sienna XLE Prem. and the 2017 Highlander Limited ). I am a big Toyota fan but was really disappointed with the $44000 Tundra Limited 's lack of features and poor design.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I also had a 2017 Tundra Limited that was missing the auto position on the stalk so in order to get daytime dash lights I had to turn on the headlights .. Also the unlighted mirror switch did not set well with me and the back seat window switches were also unlighted. Another gripe was that starting with the 2014 Tundra they removed the drivers side grab handle . I bought the handle and trim using 2013 part numbers and replaced it ( the mounting brackets were still there )and it is still missing on the 2018 Tundra and also the 2017 and 2018 Tacoma but it's on the 2018 Sequoia . My other gripe was the dash switches behind the right side or the steering wheel ;you cannot see them while driving without leaning way over to the right and who wants to do that at 70MPH ? This was my second Tundra ; my first was a 2008 SR5 that had all of the missing features that I have described . I tried to get the auto feature by replacing the stalk but nothing worked ( I didn't see this post) so I ended up trading it for a 2017 Highlander Limited with the factory hitch and bought a 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage LB to haul trash and other things that I didn't want to use my Limited to do because I was afraid of damage . I told the dealer and Customer Relations in Ca. that Toyota should add new features instead of taking them away and replace the head Tundra exec with the Highlander or Sienna exec who knows how to build and outfit a near perfect vehicle (I have a 2015 Sienna XLE Prem. and the 2017 Highlander Limited ). I am a big Toyota fan but was really disappointed with the $44000 Tundra Limited 's lack of features and poor design.
They had to justify higher trim levels. Back in '08 Limited w/nav was probably the highest. Now the same model might cost similar, but you have to pay $$$ to get the same features.

Somedays I wouldn't mind having a 6 seater CM and a new truck, but there's nothing wrong with my '10 Limited and it's paid off.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
No running boards, but all literature (online and in print) said it comes with running boards.
Nope. Running boards are not standard equipment on the SR5. If you saw them in literature and web sites remember the fine print:

* Shown with optional equipment.

What motorcycles have you had?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I took a bath on a six-year-old Olds Cutlass that I traded for my first Toyota (I usually keep my cars/trucks at least ten+ years). I finally got another Toyota truck 30 years later, and I still had the original too...sold it for collector money.. :D

I bet there are a "plethora" of those hybrid Silverados in the junk yard, too...just waiting there to have their parts mined. If you ARE lucky enough to find one in a junk yard, it'll probably be missing the motor/generator. Keep checking those salvage dealer listings on eBay..."you never know what might fall out of the sky and hit you". Fix it, then sell it for as much over $2000 as you can get for it. ;)

One thing you can think about: What would it cost to convert the truck to a straight gas engine Silverado using an engine/transmission/ECU from the junk yard? You can probably get an engine transmission for those old trucks cheap. Is it worth throwing more money down the "rathole" to possibly get more back?

What discipline engineer are you?...electrical, mechanical, civil?
Yup. I periodically check yards and online sources. Nothing yet. I don't want to put much more in it. I already dumped $1,400 in it for diagnosis and troubleshooting. The first GM dealer gave me the bill and said, "sorry, we really are not trained on hybrids. We tried." I disputed and lost. They replaced a battery module ($700) while "trying" but that did not fix the problem. I asked them to take it back. They said no, we can not take a used part back.
GM will not get another dime from me EVER again.
I am a telecommunications engineer. Kinda more of an IT geek with "engineer" in my title.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope. Running boards are not standard equipment on the SR5. If you saw them in literature and web sites remember the fine print:

* Shown with optional equipment.

What motorcycles have you had?
I had a Honda Magna, 1984. Also had an old 360 Yamaha dirt bike as a kid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 SR5 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 Towing 4.6L V8 SR5 Upgrade Interior, Toyota Special Order One-Off
35 Posts
Reasearch BEFORE you buy!

Sounds like you left a lot to be figured out/found out AFTER you purchased your truck? The GOOD NEWS is... FOR THE MONEY... NONE can beat the Toyota Tundra!

I SOOOOO wanted a Ford F150! I can't AFFORD A FORD!

I shopped out numerous Ford & Toyota Dealers. No... Bailed Out GM/GMC/Dodge... were never an option!

Finally... it came down to Toyota Dealer vs Toyota Dealer

None had... had to ORDER a 1-Off from the Factory in Texas

2016 SR5 Dbl Cab, SR5 Upgrade Interior, "4.6L V8", TRD Package, Towing.

All combinations that nobody had that wasn't with the bigger 5.7V8... more motor & fuel consumption than I wanted/needed!

The money I saved covered LINEX Bed Liner, Bed Rug Bed Mat, Toneau Cover, Bull Rings, Step Rails, Hood Bug Deflector, Window Vent Shades, All Weather Floor Liners.... ALL TRICKED OUT!

Love my Truck! Love my Dealer! Want for NOTHING! Put this together in an F150... add 5-10 thousand!

Like they say... when Mankind ceases to exist on this planet... Cockroaches and Toyota's will still be running!:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.