Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 2014 TRD DC and have plans to build it into an overland style adventure rig. I will be looking at a Four Wheel Camper to toss on it soon. The Tundra will also be required to pull our 4000 pound travel trailer from time to time. The truck is replacing my built Xterra, which has taken us everywhere over the past number of years.
I'm looking for a suspension upgrade in the neighbourhood of 3"-4" . I am not looking for spacer lifts, but replacement coils, UCA's, rear shocks, rear air bags, and some sort of either new leaf pack or addition of extra leafs and shackles. Building and using the Xterra has taught me that I'd prefer to do this right the first time. I've been looking at the Toytec, Icon, Bilstein, and OME stuff so far. I also see a lot of people using the Coachbuilder shims and shackles as well.

The Tundra will be expected to go off road, I realize it has limitations compared to my old smaller Xterra, and I'm ok with that. But she will be used to go explore, off road, travel many miles, etc. Last year we completed a 3500 mile 2 week on and off road adventure to Colorado and back. Next summer I plan on taking the Tundra up the Dempster to Inuvik.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
Don't be to informative or all the milenials will want instant gratification..
i was about to delete this thread but i decided not to be a dick and provide the information... even though anyone else would have just said USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.. but i'm a nice guy
:nerd:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I appreciate the information and will take it of heart when making a purchase here next month. A millennial I am not, and while I've certainly searched around quite a bit, poking for answers, I didn't see the harm in asking. I am new to Toyota, know nothing about them, and frankly in my searching online have turned up 100 lifted Tundra' that by their owners accounts "will never see offroad" for every 1 genuine modified Tundra that fits the category I am trying to pigeon hole into. I spent a number of years moderating one of the largest Kawasaki forums online, and time and time again after a "newbie" posted an honest initial inquiry, would hear from the naysayers "just search, just search". I always found it odd that in a social media platform designed to bring certain enthusiasts together to converse, swap stories, share advice, become friends, there are those that feel newbies should treat a forum like. Google search and nothing else.
Again, I appreciate the feedback. I am not just trolling here, or blowing smoke. I've spent countless hours and thousands of dollars building my previous Xterra, which I used to explore thousands of miles, the backroads of my great Province, and most Western States with. I'm just looking for honest feedback possibly from others who have Tundra's that they use in similar situations with similar setups that I plan on doing.

For the life of me, I can't see why this basic inquiry would even merit the thought of deletion.

Thank you again for the insight. I will do my best to keep the forum here updated once my build starts in ernest .
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sounds good, not saying you are a millennial, just saying he's setting bad precedent. Also the mid travel thread pretty much has all the info you could ever need.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Honestly man, a nice set of Kings with 700lb springs up front set at 3", 5160's out back, Coachbuilder +1 or +2 shackles with poly bushings for your rear lift, total chaos uca, and you are golden. This is a solid setup for cruising around offraod trails at like 30mph. All in, $2,400.

Reactions: levisam77

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
why i would delete it? because this question pops up every other day and gets old..

but i didnt because like i said, i'm not a dick

read my build thread(s) if you'd like, i use my truck as a high speed rv. my new rig isnt completely set up as my old one was, but my suspension allows me to go 40~60mph in most terrains.. it has its limitations and if i want to go faster i'll have to upgrade to long travel.. but thats not happening.
i believe you said you want to use a slide in camper, while that sounds great and maybe it is for your use.. it will seriously decrease your off road speed... and on road.

on my rig (and others who we run with) we have almost all the amenities of a camper sans the weight, high center of gravity and bulk.
RTT for the sleeping platform, on board water (hot water for showers!), full kitchen, 110v for coffee maker & microwave. only thing the camper might have is the toilet..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
why i would delete it? because this question pops up every other day and gets old..

but i didnt because like i said, i'm not a dick

read my build thread(s) if you'd like, i use my truck as a high speed rv. my new rig isnt completely set up as my old one was, but my suspension allows me to go 40~60mph in most terrains.. it has its limitations and if i want to go faster i'll have to upgrade to long travel.. but thats not happening.
i believe you said you want to use a slide in camper, while that sounds great and maybe it is for your use.. it will seriously decrease your off road speed... and on road.

on my rig (and others who we run with) we have almost all the amenities of a camper sans the weight, high center of gravity and bulk.
RTT for the sleeping platform, on board water (hot water for showers!), full kitchen, 110v for coffee maker & microwave. only thing the camper might have is the toilet..
Amen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't trying to cause any grief. I wanted to introduce myself, give an idea of where I want my Tundra build to go, and get some advice and opinions on possible options to help get it there. I've been reading the mid travel pages, and pages, didn't see the harm in asking what apparagntl is an old boring inquiry though.
My current (old now) rug is setup with the rtt, fridge, all the goodies, etc, and has taken us places where I know the Tundra now won't. I'm ok with that, I'm looking to change it up a bit, add the 4 wheel camper to allow me to increase my creature comforts so ewhat, and put in more long mileage summer and winter trips. The type of trips that the Xterra with the rtt is sort of limited by. I am, by all accounts, a slow speed adventurer. I'm not looking to run high speed anywhere, but would like comfort on long (as in 700km long) gravel roads, and have the ability to tackle off road terrain that the Tundra will squeeze into.
Thanks to the folks who offered some concrete options.

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
I wasn't trying to cause any grief. I wanted to introduce myself, give an idea of where I want my Tundra build to go, and get some advice and opinions on possible options to help get it there. I've been reading the mid travel pages, and pages, didn't see the harm in asking what apparagntl is an old boring inquiry though.
My current (old now) rug is setup with the rtt, fridge, all the goodies, etc, and has taken us places where I know the Tundra now won't. I'm ok with that, I'm looking to change it up a bit, add the 4 wheel camper to allow me to increase my creature comforts so ewhat, and put in more long mileage summer and winter trips. The type of trips that the Xterra with the rtt is sort of limited by. I am, by all accounts, a slow speed adventurer. I'm not looking to run high speed anywhere, but would like comfort on long (as in 700km long) gravel roads, and have the ability to tackle off road terrain that the Tundra will squeeze into.
Thanks to the folks who offered some concrete options.

sounds like you had/have a pretty sweet setup. can you post a link to the build thread. would love to see what you've got going on.
Just out of curiosity, you said there are places you have went with the xterra that you think the tundra wont take you.. can you give some examples of where you think the tundra wont go?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like it would be worth seeing the old rig, and hearing the limitations you think the new one will have.

Maybe what I think are a limitation of a full size rig with a Four wheel camper attached (or not) are more perceived than reality. I'm not sure at this point, I'll be doing my best to explore and find out though. I enjoy exploring old mine sites and such, and in the past that has taken me up some pretty tight narrow single track, and forced some turnarounds in similar tight spots. Whether or not I'll be able to venture as deep into or up the same spots remains to be seen. We love to camp "out there" away from society, let the dogs run free, shoot guns, watch the stars in the sky with no one else around, that sort of thing.
I also enjoy long road trips, not necessarily all off road, but putting in miles to find good forestry roads, backroads, little lakes off the beaten path, old ghost towns, forgotten parts of the world etc. And we have an 18' travel trailer which we also tow down to the Oregon Coast for a couple weeks every other year.
We actually just returned from our first trip towing the trailer with the new Tundra and all I can say is holy damn! that truck can tow it's shite. Compared to the Xterra (which by my own acounts I overdid when towing) this truck tows my trailer like it isn't even there. Simply amazing power, and in total comfort.

Anyways, here's a couple shots of the old rig, and a picture of one of our favorite little camp getaways an hour or so from home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Maybe what I think are a limitation of a full size rig with a Four wheel camper attached (or not) are more perceived than reality. I'm not sure at this point, I'll be doing my best to explore and find out though. I enjoy exploring old mine sites and such, and in the past that has taken me up some pretty tight narrow single track, and forced some turnarounds in similar tight spots. Whether or not I'll be able to venture as deep into or up the same spots remains to be seen. We love to camp "out there" away from society, let the dogs run free, shoot guns, watch the stars in the sky with no one else around, that sort of thing.
I also enjoy long road trips, not necessarily all off road, but putting in miles to find good forestry roads, backroads, little lakes off the beaten path, old ghost towns, forgotten parts of the world etc. And we have an 18' travel trailer which we also tow down to the Oregon Coast for a couple weeks every other year.
We actually just returned from our first trip towing the trailer with the new Tundra and all I can say is holy damn! that truck can tow it's shite. Compared to the Xterra (which by my own acounts I overdid when towing) this truck tows my trailer like it isn't even there. Simply amazing power, and in total comfort.

Anyways, here's a couple shots of the old rig, and a picture of one of our favorite little camp getaways an hour or so from home.
Sweet rig. I don't see why you couldn't do 99% of the same stuff with the tundra. Nice pics too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.