Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 6in lift. Wanted 35in tires instead of 37 mainly due to MPG since I'm already getting a miserable 12MPG.

However, after looking at the differencse between the two Nitto Terra G2 tires, they both weigh the same. Could this be true? If so, MPG should be the same since they weight the same?
Unless this is a mistake from discount tire online page.

website shows 35 weight 72lbs
37 weights 71lbs.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you look on Nitto's website, the 37's weigh about 5 lbs more than the 35's.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
What kind of gas are you putting into the tires 87 octane or 91 octane.

Reactions: ACDan

·
Registered
91 Posts
i lost a solid 2MPG going from 35's to 37's. In town and on the HWY.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If so, MPG should be the same since they weight the same?
Weight has nothing to do with it.

The LT tires with offroad lugs have more rolling resistance and more air resistance than street tires. Your lift is going to create more air resistance as well. If your 37s are the same construction as the 35s then I'd expect rolling resistance to be about the same. You will get a small additional air resistance hit though.

The reason why 37s don't weigh much more in general is because most of the tire weight is in the tread area, not the sidewalls.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Weight has nothing to do with it.

The LT tires with offroad lugs have more rolling resistance and more air resistance than street tires. Your lift is going to create more air resistance as well. If your 37s are the same construction as the 35s then I'd expect rolling resistance to be about the same. You will get a small additional air resistance hit though.

The reason why 37s don't weigh much more in general is because most of the tire weight is in the tread area, not the sidewalls.
And ethanol

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Does anyone who lifts their truck and put 35 or 37 inch tires on really give a shit about MPG?

Seems kinda silly to even talk about it

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
It's money. Don't you like money? I like money.
Give me a break

If you like money don't install a lift and 35 or 37s and ask about mpg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Can't believe I'm arguing with someone who doesn't even get obvious Idiocracy references...

Why even buy a Tundra, why not a Prius instead? Some people have good reasons for lifts and bigger tires.

Difference between 12 mpg and 13 mpg is about $1200 per 100k miles. Different tires of the same size can be that far apart, but unfortunately we don't know what the good and bad ones are.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I run 37's with a 7" lift and Premium Fuel only with SC. 15.5 on average over 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I run 37's with a 7" lift and Premium Fuel only with SC. 15.5 on average over 7500 miles.
What tires?
Any gearing change or other mod that would effect MPG?
Is the SC known to improve MPG with sedate driving?

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Peanut butter or cream cheese??

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
What tires?
Any gearing change or other mod that would effect MPG?

Is the SC known to improve MPG with sedate driving?
*No gearing change but I do have the tow package with the lower gearing 4:30.

*Only if you stay off of it. I have a heavy foot and seem to still avg 15.5 btw. This is real world driving with a SC.

* I am running the COOPER Discoverer STT Pro (SOFT!... I will going back to my Nitto Trail Grapplers once these wear out)

Reactions: rruff
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.