Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Double Cab. My touring motorcycle is just under 8' overall. Wheelbase is 64.3", so the rear tire will be at or on the tailgate.

One bike weighs 850lbs and one weighs 600. Plan to use a 10' ramp to load. Any issues with tailgate strength?

Presently they go in my F250-D Long bed. No issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put my 2005 Yamaha R1 on there with no problem, wheelbase is a little shorter at 54.9"
Only a bit of the tire was on the tailgate, but not enough clearance to close the tailgate. As long as you have it have strapped down properly with more weight loaded on the front of the bike, I don't see why the tailgate would be an issue due to less weight on the rear tire. My family and I sat on our tailgate for the 4th of July with no issues, guesstimating around 300-400 lbs total. I THINK you should be fine....but then again, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typically use an LA chock for the front tire as it really holds the bike steady. Then tie bike and chock down. The rear end just gets straps for right/left control.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You'll be fine. I've loaded up two sportbikes, a pit bike and genny's in my DC. We've loaded the same, minus the pit bike in my friends CM. In the CM, the rear tire hits the tailgate when we use a chock.

Here are some old photo's.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Throw a piece of plywood down. Maybe a 4'x4' or 4'x6' and slide it out to the end of the tailgate. It will help displace the weight of the rear wheel.
Like this, only, the tarp would be a piece of plywood.
(Fastest pic I could find),

And I say cut it down to 4 or 6' so you can slide it back into the bed and close the tailgate, after you take the bike off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a Wells Fargo 6x12 that is really nice w/ tail ramp, shelves, Baxley LA Chock and etc. Have even slept in it. However, it sucks down the MPG. Also, some places I go, there isn't room for a trailer.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
OP not at all what I was expecting but then again I'm more of a motorboat in the shower kinda guy.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Good catch.... Actually I have a Wells Cargo trailer and a Wells Fargo bank account. Problem with the later, not full enough.
They both store stuff though! ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
my 08 ninja 1000r fits with the tail gate shut and tool box so i cant see why it would not fit

but i also put it in the bed like this [\]

·
Registered
357 Posts
well yea, just saying to give it a shot that way it should fit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts