Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most aggressive looking AT tire your that is not an MT? I had some TXR's back in the day and that was the best AT tire I ever had. It had big lugs like an MT but was less aggressive and a little softer. Of course they don't make those anymore.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Toyo AT2, Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrain, Mickey Thompson ATZ and I guess the Good Year Duratrac is considered a A/T

Reactions: [email protected]@

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading a lot about the Duratrac. I see a lot of complaints about the feel of swaying due to a thinner side wall and getting less mileage out of them because they are winter tires with a softer rubber compound. Does that seem to be the consensus or is that just a few disgruntled drivers?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The snow rating is a big thing for us up here, as far as the sidewall sway I would say its not an issue. I tow 7/10 a year with a fully enclosed feather lite trailer and 4 sleds through the mountains loaded with gear. Most of my diesel friends can't believe the way the truck handles the climbs and that's with 35s. I think the wear is fair I'm at 20,000 miles with significant wear.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
General grabber red letters. Big lugs. Only complaint is they are very heavy! Heard they weren't great in snow but living in az ill never find out first hand! That being said I'm gonna be switching to toyo at 2s when these are done. Not bc I don't like the generals but I like to change the looks a bit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
I have Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's and happy with them. They are quieter then my trail grapplers. Tridacna has a mean looking set of Coopers that are half what I payed. If I could do over, I would get those. The sidewall is not as aggressive as the Mickey Thompson but it aint $1000 nicer. No snow in oahu so I have no idea how they fare in snow but so far the wear is minimal, tire fairly quiet and sticks pretty good on wet highway.

G

·
The complaints of.the duratracs sidewalls were early on. I haven't had any issue with mine. Many members around here have had the same opinions. Initially the Duratrac was a cheap.Walmart tire. It was a hit and Goodyear started to produce and sell them, thus I think.stepping up their game.with how the tire.was made and its quality. I love mine, and again have not had any issues with sidewall roll or anything like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Procomp extreme ATs are pretty aggressive for an AT but I don't have any direct experience with the performance since I have only ran MTs on my vehicles.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Dura trac's are a sweet tire... you won't be disappointed...

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the Toyo at2 there is the extreme which has a deeper tread depth. They are limited in sizes.
I have 1000 miles on mine and I am happy with them but cannot tell you how winter driving is on them.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Duratracs

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the extreme AT2 and love them...no snow here in GA , but lately we have had about a foot of rain and they handle so good in inches of water...

·
Registered
717 Posts
My grand father has Toyo AT2's on a couple of his older Tacomas that we use to plow (and we plow a lot being from Maine), no issues or complaints.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sort of on topic.. do 17 or 18 inch rims have a better AT tire selection? Looking at price and selection

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Went with the Duratrac's in 295/65/18. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. $275 each. So far so good at 400 miles. We'll see how they work out but I've got height hopes on these.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts