Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bad enough I had to get admitted Friday for chest pain and am sitting here in the hospital waiting to get a cardio cath/stint/fill in blank, and God knows else tomorrow morning, but the GF left the hospital and some jackhole hit her leaving the lot, said he was trying to avoid another car and didnt see her, front pass side front of fender, tire and bumper. Shes fine and thats all that really matters, truck has a flat and getting towed who the hell knows where until she can get it to her uncles body shop tomorrow. FML, had it 6 months. Shes already maxxed on stress to have to be here tomorrow as well, what a sh****y weekend. I have full insurance but sounds like the crapcan he was driving likely doesn't. Cops came and took statements. I need a sedative..

Pics finalyl, been a nuts week-

http://u.cubeupload.com/womprat57/19284.jpeg
http://u.cubeupload.com/womprat57/19287.jpeg
http://u.cubeupload.com/womprat57/19290.jpeg

·
Registered
534 Posts
The GF is ok and you've got bigger things to worry about yourself it sounds. I know that the truck is icing on the cake, but it's the least of your problems at the moment.

You'll have plenty of time to be pissed off about it once you get out of the hospital!

Good luck, bud. Best wishes

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree, one Ativan later and calmed down and got sleep finally,certainly bigger concerns and they've been addressed today with a stint and some new meds, feeling better already. I got more pictures of the damage and my GF's uncle runs a body shop so its getting towed up there to have the adjusted examine it and start work. Expressed that only Toyota parts are used and paint and bodywork are guaranteed for the lifetime of the vehicle. I will know more once home and we dig in, but cursory pics look like the bumper, fender, headlight and foglight, and possibly hood and grill, lotta thing overlapping misaligned and pushed in so no doubt underlying attachment points are fubar. Might be a good opportunity for an ICI bumper.

Thanks for the well wishes! My doctor found one partially clogged main artery and one calcified secondary that would not be a stint candidate and said the body already re-routed flow. Headed off a real heart stopper there!
I'll post pics when I am home later this week.
Cars are just things, but loved ones are priceless gifts!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Glad your heart is working out ok.....a new re-route and a little sea foam for the other artery and good to go..yeah dodged a big one
.......way to many folks I know have similar issues and I see how they are faring...
so take care of the crankshaft...er ah ticker.....and get well.....oh yeah send pics too!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@RingSteel you got it bud!

Geico isnt winning me over. Been with them two and a half years, 2 cars, no late payments, tickets or accidents. The adjuster says they will use what they consider "fair and equitable" parts if they deem it necessary to repair my truck. I have been wrenching for a few decades. I know its a rare thing for an aftermarket "OEM-Like" part to be anywhere near as good as the original. I told him in no uncertain terms that with a 2 year-old CPO truck that was perfect before the accident, that I will not approve anything that isnt Toyota to go back on the truck. He kept pushing"your policy.." "what we consider fair and reasonable.." He then insinuated I was being unreasonable, his words were "we will talk again after I assess the damage and you are in a more reasonable mood." I said no, I work with an aftermarket knock off company, I know all about those parts and I didnt buy a chinese knock off truck. No disrepect to the chinese but they dont hold up against OEM, period. I reiterated my position, told him I did not appreciate his comment and if after this is taken care of and how Geico handles this , if I need to chase the other guys insurance for out of pocket, so be it and i will then cancel all policies and seek another insurer.

The body shop has been great and gave me the skinny on how they've seen these go with Geico, amonst some others. He has a few names of insurers to move to who wont play these games and his references are outstanding for the work they do. He said they never fit or perform 100% and often a 3 day job ends up 3 weeks because stuff doesnt fit.

I get it. I do. If this was my 2004 Subaru then yeah, I know you arent getting me OEM new parts, your getting pic-a-part pull offs and Like-OEM replacements. Its a 17 year old vehicle, with almost 200k on the clock. I have no issue with it.

But a 2 year old pristine truck thats holding a mid 30's resale value, no way.

On a more positive note the docs say I am out of the woods and I get released in a couple hours and feel much better. Thats whats most important. I will have pics up either later today or tomorrow. Stay frosty!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
@RingSteel you got it bud!

Geico isnt winning me over. Been with them two and a half years, 2 cars, no late payments, tickets or accidents. The adjuster says they will use what they consider "fair and equitable" parts if they deem it necessary to repair my truck. I have been wrenching for a few decades. I know its a rare thing for an aftermarket "OEM-Like" part to be anywhere near as good as the original. I told him in no uncertain terms that with a 2 year-old CPO truck that was perfect before the accident, that I will not approve anything that isnt Toyota to go back on the truck. He kept pushing"your policy.." "what we consider fair and reasonable.." He then insinuated I was being unreasonable, his words were "we will talk again after I assess the damage and you are in a more reasonable mood." I said no, I work with an aftermarket knock off company, I know all about those parts and I didnt buy a chinese knock off truck. No disrepect to the chinese but they dont hold up against OEM, period. I reiterated my position, told him I did not appreciate his comment and if after this is taken care of and how Geico handles this , if I need to chase the other guys insurance for out of pocket, so be it and i will then cancel all policies and seek another insurer.

The body shop has been great and gave me the skinny on how they've seen these go with Geico, amonst some others. He has a few names of insurers to move to who wont play these games and his references are outstanding for the work they do. He said they never fit or perform 100% and often a 3 day job ends up 3 weeks because stuff doesnt fit.

I get it. I do. If this was my 2004 Subaru then yeah, I know you arent getting me OEM new parts, your getting pic-a-part pull offs and Like-OEM replacements. Its a 17 year old vehicle, with almost 200k on the clock. I have no issue with it.

But a 2 year old pristine truck thats holding a mid 30's resale value, no way.

On a more positive note the docs say I am out of the woods and I get released in a couple hours and feel much better. Thats whats most important. I will have pics up either later today or tomorrow. Stay frosty!

" He kept pushing"your policy.." "what we consider fair and reasonable.." He then insinuated I was being unreasonable, his words were "we will talk again after I assess the damage and you are in a more reasonable mood."

Something we learned here after hurricane Harvey, about insurance scams er ah companies....
One of my friends in Rosenberg had his house flooded up to about 2 feet up the wall and his house is on pier and beams so the blocks were already a foot above grade.......
Agent told him his house was 'not flooded, but had rising waters' ....... only a corrupt freaking lawyer er ah agent would twist words to squirm out of paying........so yeah you have a fight on your hands......
don't let up on these ba$tards........!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gents, its gonna be a fight I guess. I spoke to my agents office rep and asked, because I want OEM on a 2 year old vehicle and was told of the possible out-of-pocket, then is it my expectation that my insurance company then go after the other guys insurance company to recoup those expenses instead of foist poorer quality and potentially unsafe parts back on me? I said I dont fancy the idea of the diminished value this will bring to my truck much less hauling the family around in a vehicle with parts might already be compromised junk yard gems or cheapo knockoffs. They said I could call them to start paperwork to do this but kept trying to push me back to the adjuster or their supervisor. Good times. Geico was named in the 36-state complaint regarding their practice of pushing less than OEM on customers a while back, and they keep acting like they are personally offended by my request. I also asked why am I paying then the premium I have after the repair if we are insuring cheaper parts on a diminished value vehicle, and he couldnt answer that one. Clearly logic confounds them, LOL! I bet half their customes arent even aware of such practices. I also mentioned that the money they save up front is a loss when that crap part needs two weeks at body shop rates to make it work, or gets called back for rework because I hit a bump and the part breaks. Going home shortly, its a great day to be alive! God bless and carry on!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Womprat57,

Medical stuff and the truck mess too; ugh, I feel your pain. Hope the medical is turning out all good now, and hope the truck stuff does too.

In Texas, I guess I learned long ago on auto insurance claims: Work out the first part of repairs cost with the repair facility, before the insurance company even sees it. Next start the repairs and have your insurance subrogate (you have to insist on it) against the other party. This is really the only way to make it fair in the state of Texas. Ultimately the other company will have to pay, no matter what your insurance company tells you. Hang in there and stand your ground.

About 10 years ago my wife's Acura was hit. Of course the song and dance with the insurance companies began. I had already been to the dealership and got the real repair cost with real parts, and I told them to start the repairs; even before my company showed up. My insurance company started with all their non-sense. I kept saying over and over again for about a week "subrogate"; they kept saying they didn't want too for all sorts of stupid reasons (each insurance company will always go for the lowest cost and screw their customers-that is the Texas insurance market)

Anyway, the car was repaired at $2,700, had it back in a week; and after about 7 months the other insurance company paid my insurance company in full; and thus my insurance company paid me the missing $650 they were trying to cheat me on.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
289 Posts
damn i have geico and wondering who company i should switch to that will use OEM and not comparable knock off crap. Hope you also recover and get better.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
damn i have geico and wondering who company i should switch to that will use OEM and not comparable knock off crap. Hope you also recover and get better.

I’m thinking the same thing. Switched to them 2 years ago to save money and they have gone up about 40% in 2 years no claims accidents or tickets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am glad no one was hurt. That is the important part. But wow, that is some crap from the insurance company.

A few months back my daughter rear ended a Nissan Altima in my truck. Front bumper, hood bulge and grille damage. Took it to my insurance adjuster. She said $2000 in damages with parts and labor. I told her I was going to replace with aftermarket parts and do the work myself. She cut me a check for $1500 ($500 deductible) and out the door I went. That is how I got the mods on the front of my truck.

My insurance is State Farm. I have two teenagers that have booth been in accidents. They have treated us great with both claims. I know there are a lot of horror stories with insurances so I know how lucky we have been.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good to hear you're feeling better. Wawanesa is great ins co. but I think they only handle Canada and California. Never have to haggle and they always quote OEM in the adjustments. They also handle things quick ! I might be moving to the mid-west and am wondering what new carrier to go with ? Think I'll shop State Farm, Ameriprise (Costco) & Triple A (AAA) for starters.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the delay, pics are in the first post and they quoted CAPA parts at $1600-ish, I have a $500 ded. Spoke to the shop before the adjuster got there and he had it apart before he arrived.
I will speak to the rep about subrogate if the Toyota parts exceed the quote, and chase whomever I need to for the deductible if necessary should they other guys insurance give me any flap.

On a happy note, I feel miles better! Been walking daily and not eating crap, getting sleep and building my strength back. I will be back to work next week on limited duty. Thats a whole 'nother ball 'o wax...
Thanks for the kind wishes and advice, going in blind sucks and I havent had an accident since '02. I appreciate all the help!

I'll have to run it by the boss on posting her pics, lol!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just got State Farm quote for $770 for 6 months for my 3 vehicles. Geico which i have $840. $70 savings if i switch to them. I'll continue to shop around and see what else is out there that allows OEM parts vs aftermarket/comparable parts.

Reactions: TOY33

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amica was the one the bodyshop said was the best to deal with, I will be getting a quote from them since renewal is next month. We are working the subrogation with Geico now and shocker, the Progressive folks are denying fault, despite Geico saying we were not at fault. Typicall BS, deductibles in the Granite State are the cost of doing business it would seem, we'll see how it pans out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your health is the most important. I've heard it time and time again from old seniors, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything. Keep your stress level down, it contributes to artery inflammation. If you smoke, quit. Modify your diet, keep that cholesterol down, lose weight if you need to, it's easier on your pancreas, and maintain it all. It's a wake up call to do positive changes so you can actually enjoy these material things well into the future.

Look at it positively, you can now color wrap your bumpers, grill shroud optional, to match the blue (edit, looking at the timeline, it's probably fixed already)

Best of health to you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.