Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the DDM's and a couple other China brand HID kits. I just couldn't find one that I liked so I tried to put a little more money into it and get the morimoto kit fro TRS.
I guess I read the page wrong when ordering and I clicked on "heavy duty wire harness" instead of the "can-bus" option.
I opened the package today to find a whole bunch of wires. I went online to their site and still cannot figure out if I can even use the wire harness or if I should have got the can-bus. From what I can figure the can-bus is more like the DDM option where you just plug from the factory harness into a box and then into the ballast and then the HID light. The wire harness seems to work totally different. It also looks like I only plug in one side of the factory and the other side is just disconnected. Is that right? I'm so bummed cause they closed about 5 min before I called to find out. Now I have no lights in the truck at all because I removed everything first to make room. Just wondering if anyone has installed the TRS hid kit with the wire harness instead of the can bus and if so could they shed some light on how its supposed to be done?
I'm not a complete moron but the diagram on their website is just confusing to me. I was so excited for new lights and now I'm gonna hve to sit here all weekend with nothing unless I can figure this out on my own. Any help is appreciated. I cant imagine this can be that difficult.

· Registered
14,308 Posts
that linkie no helpie...

need an actual picture of wtf wire harness birds nest they sent you...

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re

I finally figured it out. I think my issue was that I could not read the PDF clearly. I was able to understand what 3 of the 5 connections were. The other two were too blurry to read what they said they were supposed to be connected to. The other issue was that I did not realize that I would need to ground both sides. I figured there would only need to be one ground so the other side extra wire (which I realized needed to be grounded) was throwing me off. I was able to finally get it done. Not a whole lot of room for all that stuff and the longer passenger side wire was not really long enough so I had a bit of an issue with that. Otherwise they are done and working. Its still not dark but just in my garage they look so much better to me. I tried all the options from DDM from 3k to 6k and no matter which one I tried they all put out a blue hue and it drove me nuts. The mori's seem to be much more white at least in the garage.
Assuming they are as white in the dark I'm gonna change out the fogs and Hi's. I do not think I'll have enough room to do them with the wire harness so I'll have to use the bus connection option.
Is there any negatives to not using the wire harness style? I know they suggest the bus option if the vehicle shows a light being out but I don't have that on the tundra so I figure the less wires the better as I'm literally out of room for anything else. No chance I'm gonna fit 2 more harnesses under the hood.
When I get it all done I"ll post a review. Thus far: The online instructions could be a little clearer. Other than that everything works as described and all parts and wires were correct.

· Premium Member
832 Posts
I have the morimoto kit in my low beams for about 7 months and no issues with not having the relay. fires up every time with no flickering or problems. The wiring harness is nice but honestly doesn't need to be used, as long as everything is hooked up properly you should be GTG

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
20 Posts
lol I just took these pictures tonight... I've had Morimoto 5Ks for about a week now and they've been great. I didn't bother with the relay harness, I just plugged them directly in to the factory headlight plug.

The power/light output dips a little when I start the engine, but I figured that's expected with any setup. I know it even happens in my Subaru which has HIDs from the factory.

· Registered
182 Posts
sorry to jump on this thread but i have question regarding the morimoto hid kit and the relay harness.

the link below shows the kit I am looking to buy for my fogs. I've read where some do or dont' use the relay harness? I've read in other threads that most HID kits these days don't require any connections to the battery terminals, but with the Morimoto kits is appears that this relay is connected to the battery.

Has anyone else purchased the Morimoto kits for their fogs, and did you use the relay harness? Or did not use the relay? If you did use it how did you run the cables for the fogs?

H10/9145: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

· Registered
182 Posts
Thanks. I may be wrong but I think the relay harness for the fogs is different from the harness for the low's. It looks like the harness for the lows requires connection to the battery terminals.

But after looking at the H10 harness again, it doesn't have the same wires/connections as the low beam harness, I think!

Oh well, I'll just buy the kit for my fogs and see how the installation goes.

· Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. I may be wrong but I think the relay harness for the fogs is different from the harness for the low's. It looks like the harness for the lows requires connection to the battery terminals.

But after looking at the H10 harness again, it doesn't have the same wires/connections as the low beam harness, I think!

Oh well, I'll just buy the kit for my fogs and see how the installation goes.
the relay harness are the same. you connect the power to the battery and ground to the chasis. if you have any questions about the relay wiring i can take pictures of how i did mine. only difference is the bulb size.

· Registered
182 Posts
Knighta22487 thanks for offering photos of your setup. When time permits please send some photos my way.

I've read where other members don't use the relay harness with morimoto hid kit and the bulbs work with no issues or flickering. What are the risks of not using the harness with this setup or any setup? Do I risk any damage to my truck electrical system?

thanks again.

· Registered
36 Posts
here are the pics i took. if you're still confused let me know :)

1. Shorter cable with male connection at the end. It goes on the driver's side and plugs into the ballast. The wire attached to the connector is the ground. connect to anywhere where a bolt is touching the metal chassis of the truck.

2. Longer cable with male connection at the end. It goes on the passenger side. You will do the same exact thing as you did for number 1.

3. Short wire with female connection. It plugs in to the driver side low headlight connector. This is what fires the relays and then sends power to the ballasts.

4. Connect that wire directly to the POSITIVE SIDE OF YOUR BATTERY.

Here is how I ran my wires in my truck:

Relay bolted to the front of the truck. I ran the wire for the passenger side on top. I'm the only one who will look at it and didn't want to leave it near the engine.

Battery Connection. The cap will still fit on top.

Connection between wire to power relay and low beam headlight connection. For picture sake i put it on the battery, but really have it laying between the battery and headlight.

I wrapped my ballasts with electrical tape. Its between the battery and headlights. I didn't bolt it down because it won't move around when you put your headlights on top of it. The ground wire is attached to the right side of the chassis when standing in front of where the headlights will go.

This is the passenger side of the truck but it was a better shot of where I connected the ground to the chassis. I also threw the ballast on the "self" of the chassis under the headlights.

When you're all done zip everything up and you should have working lights. If you have any problems check to see if the little lights in the relays are light up. If not reverse the low beam connector and try again. After that make sure your grounds are tight and touching metal. If not properly grounded you only get half the voltage to the ballasts causing them to make a popping noise. Hopefully it helps and post some pics of when its done :)

· Registered
182 Posts
so i installed my morimoto hid's in my fogs today. The instruction are terrible. SO I figured out what plugs in to what, which was easy. I pluged the trucks OEM plug into ballast plug but the light wouldn't fire up, so I reversed the connection and it fired up with no problems. Is this correct that I would have to do this to get this to fire up? see photos. I didn't use the relay harness, but I am worried that i had to reverse the connection to get them to light up. Is this okay?

one photo shows how I had it connected where the truck plug clips into the ballast plug, but bulb would fire up.

second photo is how i reversed the connection and it worked.

I just want to make sure this will not cause problems. thanks.

[/ATTACH]

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
okay great. One last question. Since I didn't use the heavy duty relay harness I would end up with one wire with male/female connectors not plugged into anything, right?

Before I realized this, I had actually connected the male/female connectors, realizing afterward that I connected the same wire to itself. I know stupid, but really doesn't matter since its not actually connecting to anything. I figured this was better than having the wire dangling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.