Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Crew-Cab Limited (126,000 miles) wouldn't start. A trusted local mechanic shop spent a full day, came up with nothing and recommended taking it to the dealer. It started OK for several weeks and then wouldn't start again. Towed it to the dealer, they said the battery and battery cables needed replacing. I approved, they did the work, and everything worked great for a month. It wouldn't start again, I tried unsuccessfully to jump it off, towed it to the dealer again and this time they told me it was the starter (OUCH $!!). The mechanic goes to the same gym that I do and told me that it was the age of the truck and a semi-coincidence that the two problems happened within 30 days of each other. The first time I was getting several clicks and then silence, the second time I got a single click and then silence. I asked him what would be next and he eventually said the AC evaporator core and the radiator. I love my Tundra and really want to get another 2.5 - 3 years out of it @ 8-10,000 miles per year without spending thousands of additional dollars. I would greatly appreciate your opinions and recommendations. I was planning to get the new body style the second year that it was out which I think would put me at 2024...what do you think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keep grinding with a different mechanic.It's the only way you could put up with the truck for another 4 years. The guy who told you he'd mess with the AC and radiator on a truck that's not starting can't be a certified mechanic. Just be nice to him at the gym: smile, wipe down your machine, and go hit the sauna til he's gone... Based on what you've already paid to have done, I'd be looking at the grounds - but I'm not a certified mechanic.
OR
It's relatively low miles for it's age. Get it running then trade it in. It will never be more valuable than it is now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep grinding with a different mechanic.It's the only way you could put up with the truck for another 4 years. The guy who told you he'd mess with the AC and radiator on a truck that's not starting can't be a certified mechanic. Just be nice to him at the gym: smile, wipe down your machine, and go hit the sauna til he's gone... Based on what you've already paid to have done, I'd be looking at the grounds - but I'm not a certified mechanic.
OR
It's relatively low miles for it's age. Get it running then trade it in. It will never be more valuable than it is now.
Thank you for the response. The AC and radiator came up when I pressed him for what major repairs are most likely to pop up during the next 4 years, not related to the starting problem that, at least for now, has been resolved. Interestingly enough, he didn't think the alternator would be an issue. I do need to do the front brakes though. I think it will make it and I'll continue to add 8-10K miles per year. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts