Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2014 4x4 crewmax. Normally, over the last 5 years when I fill up a full tank get me about 295 miles. After a sensor was replaced in the engine (not sure which one) my mileage on the next fill went to 419. I tested it and drove the vehicle down to 20 miles left. Each subsequent fill it start dropping 20-30 miles on the display after the fill up. It is now back to“normal”. If the vehicle can run over 400 miles on a fill up, why am I “normally” only get about 300? Is Toyota scamming us?
Regards

snwtruck

·
Registered
824 Posts
In some cases they may have un hooked the battery to change the sensor . ( it would be great to know which one )
It takes awhile for everything to re learn and then get "normal " DTE and MPG info.
I dont thing Toyota is scamming anybody. Who knows the sensor they replaced may have been giving faulty info or poor milage , now the correct sensor value is being used and yes its different .

·
Registered
13 Posts
But what is your actual milage? My 17 TRD Pro usually says 410ish on a refill but it also says to fill up with 10gallons still in the tank. I dont put much faith in the miles to empty algorithm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have had the opposite. My Tundra (2015 CM, 5.7L) averages about 17 mpg. I unhooked the battery to weld a muffler and when I restarted it, my mileage dropped to about 14 and then slowly got better and better over the next couple months until I was back to about 16-17 mpg average. I think the EMC resets and it goes back into a "new truck break n cycle". I am not sure why your mileage would get better with a ECM reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, not so sure on the DTE/mpg thing. Went out west a few weeks ago, in higher elevations, loaded to the gills, traveling 80-90mph....indicated mileage went up to 17+ Mpg/500 dte after YEARS stuck on 14.6 mpg/400 Dte....haven’t figured that out yet...:unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hardly ever go by the electronic miles to empty as it ranges so much. My truck a 2014 Tundra double cab says it gets 295 to a tank when it says it’s empty I still have at least a quarter tank left. Most of the miles are city driving though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2019 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L SR5 TRD Sport 4x4 usually shows 409 miles to go after I fill up the tank. I never look at mileage but sometimes after I fill up the tank I will take my Ranger bass boat to the lake 120-mile round trip and fill it up again before I get home. Obviously, gas mileage is less pulling the 21' boat at 65-75 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts