Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Tundra

Besides looking to see if the frame is rusted out, what else should I be looking for, if it's still there Saturday when I plan on take the trip there?

G

·
10k maybe. The truck is 12 years(maybe 13) years old. It has 92k on it so mileage it is fine. But you can get yourself a better deal. Don't have any doubt you would get your 12k out of the truck, but by the same token. Unless buying from a family member or friend that is like family... I'd be hard pressed to pay that money for it not knowing its actual history.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
FWIW...NADA values

Rough Trade: $5,950
Average Trade: $7,075
Clean Trade: $8,025
Clean Retail: $10,650

Make sure no lights are stuck on like the ABS light. Will you need new tires? Are there any spots of peeling paint or rusting under the paint? Are the hoses and belts hard or soft and are they in good condition or worn and cracked? Remove the oil cap and see if there is any foamy type of residue. If yes, leave it alone. Is the radiator overflow fluid clean or is the color of a swamp? Check the transmission dipstick to see the condition of the tranny fluid. Are the motor mounts solid and not cracked? Make some tight turns in both directions at slow speeds, any grinding, popping, squeaking, abnormal sounds?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
more than likely it's from a leaking head gasket. No amount of driving will fix that, only exacerbate the problem.

Well if it's the best deal you've found then it could be supply and demand. If there aren't many options, the seller has the advantage. What it would take you in time and travel expenses to find another one could offset the saving you may get going that route so it'll be up to you to decide if the premium price is worth it. Still, you need to try to negotiate with them. Offer them $8200 and counter your way to $10K. They want to sell a vehicle and they want to sell it before they have to make another payment themselves. Holding costs eat into their profits.

and yes, StevenD is correct. They should let you you purchase it on contingency, meaning, you purchase it with the understanding you will take it to a mechanic of your choice and allow you to return it free and clear if you decide against it. Some will let you take it before doing the paperwork. That expense, good or bad will be yours, like having a home inspection done on a home purchase.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will try to get them down for sure, I was thinking I would be happy paying 10k for it, if it's in good shape. It is either this or a couple chevys I found, too. I have always owned chevys, but wanted to try something new. If everything checks out on the truck, I think 10 is my highest offer.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Take as long as you can to get to $10K. If you offer $8,200 and they counter at $12,599, counter back with $8,400, not $10K. Don't be in a hurry to let them know your bottom line and hold your ground.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I will keep you posted. I usually buy from private parties, so this is kind of new to me, I never really thought about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts