Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a set of four Michelin LTX AT2 LT275/70/R18 from Discount Tires, was wondering sidewalls have 80 psi, Discount put 40 psi is this too low for everyday drive?

Thanks in advance
Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm sure 80 pounds would be way too much for an unloaded truck. Since the tires are slighly taller than stock put 5 more pounds than stock. Draw a line across the tread with chalk and let the truck roll a few feet. Check the chalk line. Add or let out air as needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The chalk test is helpful. Just to clarify for folks that aren't familiar with this, what exactly are you looking for? I believe you want uniform smudging of the line. Uneven smudging would be more at the edges than the middle of the tread or vice versa. Can you remind me when you air up or down? I think more air if you have smudging at the edges and not the middle and less air if you're smudging in the middle but not the edges?

·
Registered
263 Posts
FYI, you can also just call the manufacturer. Oftentimes they will give you a recommendation for your specific vehicle and tire model. The sidewall pressure is max pressure. Unless you like the feel of driving on bricks you definitely don't want to run max pressure.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good choice on tires. I ran them at 40 PSI on my Ford Ranger when dry. I will put these on my truck when done with the factory rubber.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the chalk mark disappears in the middle you're over inflated; if it disappears on the edges you're under inflated.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Have those exact tires. 42-48 psi is where you want to be at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm at 75K on mine and will probably make it to 100K. I've run them maxed out when towing my 12,000 lb toy hauler, but for daily use I keep them at 38-40.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have them in 20" size and like 40-43lbs best. Tires ride really good and mine are brand new shame they are coming off soon as my lift and trail grapples get in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts