Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Wheel and tire section, this is probably the better area to post this,

My stock BFG tires developed some serious cracks on the inside walls at 24,000 miles. My local America's Tire Co pro-rated the tires for me, gave me $100.00 a tire and I bought a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 P275/65R18. We took our first camping trip of the year this past wknd, these tires were awesome and smooth compared to the crappy BFG Rugged trails.

I aired up the rears at 42psi and the fronts at 38psi for the trip, plus 20psi in the air bags. The tow was okay but didn't feel secure.

TT is at 7500lbs loaded.

My question is, how would the unloaded ride be if I swapped for the same tires in the LT275/65R18 size being it's a 10ply tire vs the P rated tire. Will there be a huge ride/stiff difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Is it possible the towing security feel was due to the tongue weight/WDH set up? Too little or too much weight would cause the feeling you describe, especially having too little.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible the towing security feel was due to the tongue weight/WDH set up? Too little or too much weight would cause the feeling you describe, especially having too little.
The WDH set up is all good, the ride was too soft and didn't feel sturdy.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You won't have that feeling with the E's if it's the tires causing it. If you do get E's and still have that feeling, its time for a Duelly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swapped out the P rated tires today for the LT's, the ride unloaded isn't rough at all. Glad I did the swap. Props to America's Tire Co, never had a bad experience with them, that's why I continue going back to them for all my tire needs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
How does it feel with your camper now. I upgraded to the same tires Tuesday for the same reason you did (camper). The unladen ride is ok, but I have noise/slight vibration between 25-30 mph. Had them rebalanced once already, but may have to finds someone with a load force balancer.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does it feel with your camper now. I upgraded to the same tires Tuesday for the same reason you did (camper). The unladen ride is ok, but I have noise/slight vibration between 25-30 mph. Had them rebalanced once already, but may have to finds someone with a load force balancer.

Thanks,
Jack
I really like the ride.. loaded and unloaded, I felt slight vibration at first, it's gone now, never had the noise issue. I don't know how long you've had the tires, but give them a couple hundred miles, the vibration should go away.. I'm on stock 18in TRD wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same tires purchased from discount tire. Toyota and Honda require an adapter for the balance machine that mounts the wheel by the lug nuts rather than by the center hole. Local dealer does not have this adapter so they had to rebalance all four tires the regular way and they came out good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The problem is not enough air. I have the exact same tire and sent Michelin an email on tire pressure. They told me 55 PSI in the rear and 50 PSI in the front to give the same load rating as the P tires the truck came with. You are severly under inflating the tires.

When I tow i don't have any instability issues and if the trailer is setup the same as before then all you need to do is air up per what Michelin sent me quoted here.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RECOMMENDATION-PRESSURE
I just purchased LT275/65R18 LTX MS2 tires for my 2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max. They replace the OE P275/65R18 tires. All the dealers that I talked to stated I should upgrade to the LT tires as I tow a 7500lb trailer. What pressure should I be running these tires at? I have been getting all kinds of different answers ranging from what's on the drivers placard to 40PSI not towing and 60PSI towing. I have looked for load tables for this tire size and can't find any. Please help clear this up.

Thanks,

2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax

When installing a different size than the original equipment tire, all vehicle manufacturer specifications must be maintained. The replacement tire should be inflated to provide the same load capability of the original tire size at the manufacturer’s recommended pressure. In order to identify the correct air pressure for the new tire size on your vehicle, we would need to air pressure as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. This information can be found on your vehicle placard normally located on the driver's door jam.

Our records show that Toyota's recommended inflation for the original tire size P275/65R18 114T is 30PSI front and 33PSI in the rear.

If this is correct, you can use 50 PSI front and 55 PSI in the rear to meet or exceed the load carrying of the P metric tire size.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-888-871-4444 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Colesta
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

·
Registered
74 Posts
Colestra said it with the inflation pressures when towing or hauling heavy .
Be aware of the service rating when buying tires,i.e. 114t if you tow or haul.
Michelin LTX MS2 is probably the top rated tire in light truck category in most respects and is what my next set will be , but I don`t drive in snow or on icy roads

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem is not enough air. I have the exact same tire and sent Michelin an email on tire pressure. They told me 55 PSI in the rear and 50 PSI in the front to give the same load rating as the P tires the truck came with. You are severly under inflating the tires.

When I tow i don't have any instability issues and if the trailer is setup the same as before then all you need to do is air up per what Michelin sent me quoted here.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
RECOMMENDATION-PRESSURE
I just purchased LT275/65R18 LTX MS2 tires for my 2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max. They replace the OE P275/65R18 tires. All the dealers that I talked to stated I should upgrade to the LT tires as I tow a 7500lb trailer. What pressure should I be running these tires at? I have been getting all kinds of different answers ranging from what's on the drivers placard to 40PSI not towing and 60PSI towing. I have looked for load tables for this tire size and can't find any. Please help clear this up.

Thanks,

2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax

When installing a different size than the original equipment tire, all vehicle manufacturer specifications must be maintained. The replacement tire should be inflated to provide the same load capability of the original tire size at the manufacturer’s recommended pressure. In order to identify the correct air pressure for the new tire size on your vehicle, we would need to air pressure as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. This information can be found on your vehicle placard normally located on the driver's door jam.

Our records show that Toyota's recommended inflation for the original tire size P275/65R18 114T is 30PSI front and 33PSI in the rear.

If this is correct, you can use 50 PSI front and 55 PSI in the rear to meet or exceed the load carrying of the P metric tire size.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-888-871-4444 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Colesta
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Does the above mean that 50 front and 55 rear is what I need to inflate LT E rated tires to = 30 front and 33 rear when using P rated tires.

What is everyone else who is running the Michelin LTX M/S2's E rated using for inflation. Also what about when towing?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
that would be correct. Running them any lower than that usually causes side wall issues in a 10 ply. they are a stonger side wall, but not as flexible as a P rated tire, and running them lower than that would have the same effect as running any other tire under-inflated.

Although the 50/55 psi will give you the same load carrying ablility as the P rated at 30/33 and would be fine for running around town and empty running, 65psi would probably be better for towing, stiffen the sidewalls up some more for towing, and not sacrifice ride quality too much, much more above that, being a 1/2 ton, I would think you would just start wearing the centres of the tires out. 65 psi is what the shop I used to work at used on 3/4T trucks with 10 ply tires on them, seems to give decently even wear.

Reactions: tvman

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does the above mean that 50 front and 55 rear is what I need to inflate LT E rated tires to = 30 front and 33 rear when using P rated tires.

What is everyone else who is running the Michelin LTX M/S2's E rated using for inflation. Also what about when towing?
I am running 55 front and 55 rear. When I tow I go to 60 in the rear and leave the front. So far wear is good after about a year of driving

·
Registered
204 Posts
So how does the ride compare with E rated at 55 compared to using P rated? Also did your gas mileage suffer much? Thanks.
I don't really notice a lot of difference in ride quality. Maybe a bit rougher but really didn't notice it. The winter tires are P rated and when I change them out can't say I see much difference either. I think the Michelin's are a very nice riding tire. Not sure how other E rated are but have heard some people say others make for a rough ride.

Gas mileage maybe a touch worse but the E rated tire is a "green" michelin but I don't think the P rated is. Might be wrong on that one though.

I would have stayed with the P rated but wanted the extra stability of the E rated for towing the trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't really notice a lot of difference in ride quality. Maybe a bit rougher but really didn't notice it. The winter tires are P rated and when I change them out can't say I see much difference either. I think the Michelin's are a very nice riding tire. Not sure how other E rated are but have heard some people say others make for a rough ride.

Gas mileage maybe a touch worse but the E rated tire is a "green" michelin but I don't think the P rated is. Might be wrong on that one though.

I would have stayed with the P rated but wanted the extra stability of the E rated for towing the trailer.
Thanks a lot for the info! :)

I pull a 23.5'Jayco 5th wheel with 1150 lbs. of hitch weight and while I can't say the P rated i've been using are horrible while towing I'm sure the E rated would be a nice upgarde and seeing as my tires are now worn out I'm going to make the switch to these Michelin's. :)

As far as ride and mileage I suppose the fact the M/S2's are a highway tire and not an A/T helps with those issues. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
P rated does have the green rating, at the time I purchased mine, the E rated did not have a green rating, but I just passed the 3 year mark of having them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.