Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 and mice have been getting into the cab. At least I have trapped a few. I have seen a couple of threads on the subject and want to dig a little further to see what else might be in the cabin air intake system. It looks like the cabin air intake is on the passenger side (see attached pics). I am looking for help figuring out how to remove that panel on the engine compartment side so I can inspect down inside.
Also, I removed a plastic panel in the cab underneath the glove compartment and found what looks to be a blower that sends air to the driver side of the cab. Seems to me that blower would be worth inspecting. Is there a way to take a cover off it or easily remove it for inspection?

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lol I thought this was going to be about an annoying squeak you hear while driving but you literally have mice in your truck! I'm not sure how it comes off but I would pay close attention to wires that might be exposed. Those things like to chew on whatever and you don't find out until you are far away from everything it seems.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Under that plastic is you wiper motor. I could be wrong but I don't think there would be. Way for them to get inside that way. If something was in your blower motor your hole dash would shake when you turned your ac one.ive seen something as small as a nut vibrate the hole dash. This may sound funny but for some reason they like to go up in the headliner. They'll also stay behind your panels and up in you dash. In the past I've had lots of repairs I've done for bodyshops because of mice. They also bed in you engine compartment and eat throw the wire loom and get to you wires. They will make a mess.
To answer your question about the blower though, there should be three or four Phillips then it should drop right out. I've never removed one on a tundra but that common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, to me it does look like the blower motor, as it is attached to a duct that goes to the driver's side. But it did occur to me that the blower motor is downstream of the cabin air filter, so maybe the likelihood of something in there is slight. But I want to check.

Also, still looking for guidance on removing the panel at the top of the firewall in the engine compartment, if anybody reading this can help.

Finally, in other cars I have seen evidence of rodents eating wires in the engine compartment. I buy that corrugated wire conduit and put that over the wires where I can, and it has helped a lot.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just had your problem. I ripped the entire interior apart and washed everything.. I removed the cowl just below the windshield and that intake hole is massive! So I built a form fit thick metal screen that covers the hole and attached it to the inner firewall. That should keep those buggers out. There are only 3 places I can see them getting in. The two rear cab vents that are in between the cab and bed. And the other is the cab blower intake vent. That's the one I put a screen over. I wouldn't worry about the evaporator drain. It looks big, but there's only a 2 or 3 mm slit to allow water out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For the time being, get 8 glue traps and put them on the ground on the inside and outside of each tire. They're cheap, you can get 8 more, and put them on the front and back of the tires too. That's the only way they're getting up in to the engine compartment. I had this issue for awhile in the past. I put traps all over and caught a bunch of mice the first few days. Then, none, they found an easier place. I still keep the food traps around tho. On our Acura, they liked to sit right on top of the warm motor in winter. There is no plastic cover. In the Sierra, they would sit behind the fan. You will find their little turds on flat surfaces. I check weekly now, just to be sure. But the glue traps around the tires are a must to keep them out of there now - they're so damn destructive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are only 3 places I can see them getting in. The two rear cab vents that are in between the cab and bed.
I have this problem again when my truck is at my cabin (lots of mice there).
I will be dealing with the front venting/cabin air filter but I also want to look at the rear cab vents.
Does anybody know where to find those vents? Is it possible to get at them to temporarily seal them?

I also like the idea of the sticky mats to catch the rodents in addition to spring traps with peanut butter (I'll do that too).

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the mice got into the blower area then you would smell them when you turn the blower on. Mouse nests have a strong odor. I don't know how to get access other than removing the cabin air filter and reaching in with a vacuum.

Mice need to get a drink every day, so even if they have food stored somewhere in your vehicle they need to get out. You can set traps by the tires. You can also make a circle of garden lime around the vehicle. They get the lime on their feet and lick it off and it kills them. Mice don't see very well and they depend on scent for navigation. A strong smell will confuse them and they will go elsewhere. Peppermint oil is commonly used. If you park very close to your house and you use scent to chase them away from your truck then think about where they are going to go when you chase them away from the truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts