Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing somewhat of a muffled bang like noise, hard to describe but it sounds sort of like a tense metal spring kind of letting go, seems to me it comes from the passenger side front wheel. I have been under the truck a few times but can't find what's causing it. Took it to the dealer and they sad "oh yes, people have been complaining about that in different Toyota models, it's normal"
It only happens after backing up, a few feet after going forward but it happens every time.

Have any of you have this issue? It's eating me alive, can't buy the "it's normal" BS from the dealer. I know I need to find a new dealer but meanwhile I'd like to know what's causing this.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Happens with my 08 too. I found it was the disc brake pads moving slightly. There is a bit of play where they fit and when I back up and apply the brake the pads move a little, then when I shift to D and use the brake the first time the pads move in that direction. It isn't a real loud noise on my truck kinda like a big click. I guess either the brake pad backing plate or the caliper body will eventually wear out from the movement. The pads have to be a bit loose in the caliper to be able to move in to the brake disc and I guess when they get hot the parts expand? Anyway the noise goes away when the brakes are warm from use.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like your front diff?
Though I am under warranty I hope is not the differential.

Happens with my 08 too. I found it was the disc brake pads moving slightly. There is a bit of play where they fit and when I back up and apply the brake the pads move a little, then when I shift to D and use the brake the first time the pads move in that direction. It isn't a real loud noise on my truck kinda like a big click. I guess either the brake pad backing plate or the caliper body will eventually wear out from the movement. The pads have to be a bit loose in the caliper to be able to move in to the brake disc and I guess when they get hot the parts expand? Anyway the noise goes away when the brakes are warm from use.
Thanks, that makes some sense but, it is not just in the morning when I back out of my driveway (cool) but every single time I back up and then go forward, even after miles of driving and it doesn't necessarily happen as I go forward but maybe within 10' or so.

Hope it doesn't get any worse but it is annoying me to no end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts