Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7 L V8 access cab SR5 TRD 4-wheel drive.

My mechanic switched out my 4x4 rear end with a four by two rear end from a 2005 double cab v8 4x2

I've had difficulty finding out what the gear ratio was on mine to make sure that it matches.

What do I need to do to put a 4 by 4 rear end back on. Did he have to change any other parts besides the rear end assembly in order to make it work? What do I need to do to convert it back to a 4 by 4 rear end. And what other problems do I need to look out for.

I really appreciate any of your response and any information that you can give me. Will this damage my transmission? Help

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I did this same thing on my 02 Sequoia.

My Sequoia is a 4WD, bought a used rear out of an 06 2wd. Gear ratio isn’t an issue for me, all 1st Gen Sequoias run 4.10’s. That said. If the rear ended your mechanic installed is the same ratio as the old one then you’re all set, no need to swap it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Yeah, 4x4 doesn't say what ratio the front or rear axle are. Check that, or go to a local gear/rear end shop to see what it is if you can't find a tag or figure it out yourself.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The 2011 brochure for the Tundra shows the rear end ratios. It says the 4.6L used a 3.909 ratio for both 2WD and 4WD. The 5.7L used a 4.100 for both 2WD nd 4WD. If the 2006 4.7 was the same, and I am guessing it was, as long as he used a 4.7L rear end, the ratio should be fine.

One way to tell is to jack it up off the ground and rotate a wheel one full turn and see how many times the drive shaft turns. Then do the same in the front and if it is exactly the same, you are good to go. A 4.1 ratio would mean that with one rotation of the wheel (both wheels on the drive shaft turning), the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times. If one wheel rotates and one does not, then the drive shaft will turn 4.1x2 = 8.2. With a 3.9 ratio, it will rotate 3.9 times.

As long as both the front and back rotate the same, you are good to go.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Some 2010's have a 4.30 for front and rear, I know because I had one. And have 4.30 now stock front and rear on my 2017.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
double post oops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a spare FRONT differential 4.30:1 - I paid $450 for it several years ago, traded that Tundra for a later model before I could install it. Make an offer, I'm in NW Montana. 4ohsix499twentyfour06 Lv a msg please.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts