Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my exhaust today. It's the polished stainless single exit. I'm up in NY so I wanted the extra protection from the salt. The box has been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks, arrived in perfect condition so I didn't open it until today. Turns out they forgot the exhaust tip ! Hopefully the vendor will correct this. Installation was pretty straight forward once I got the stock exhaust off. Had to run out for new nuts and bolts, for the money they should supply them. The sound is just what I was looking for, nice growl when started then settled into a nice mellow rumble. Only drove a few miles but interior is only slightly louder than stock unless you're on it and I didn't notice any drone up to 60mph. Try to get some pics up tomorrow, maybe a YouTube sound clip.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I finally got around to installing my exhaust today. It's the polished stainless single exit. I'm up in NY so I wanted the extra protection from the salt. The box has been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks, arrived in perfect condition so I didn't open it until today. Turns out they forgot the exhaust tip ! Hopefully the vendor will correct this. Installation was pretty straight forward once I got the stock exhaust off. Had to run out for new nuts and bolts, for the money they should supply them. The sound is just what I was looking for, nice growl when started then settled into a nice mellow rumble. Only drove a few miles but interior is only slightly louder than stock unless you're on it and I didn't notice any drone up to 60mph. Try to get some pics up tomorrow, maybe a YouTube sound clip.
can you post up some pics?

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I am not liking what they are doing with that Y pipe in front of the muffler. I am sure the whole thing is much better than stock though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love mine. The more you break it in the better it sounds, best bang for your buck. Had mine for a year now

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
That's good to hear. I finally got to hear it from outside the truck, had my wife take it in a big loop around the mall parking lot. Really happy with the sound and performance seems unchanged to me. Curious to hear how it sounds when towing the trailer, hopefully won't bad in the cab.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
looks good cant wait to hear it

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Not that I could notice at all. The pipes are only 3" which is one reason I picked this system, I heard of a lot of guys losing low end with larger pipes due to less back pressure I would guess.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

My muffler guy told me that if anybody goes bigger than 3" it usually cause they 500hp+, so good choice.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Looks good. Does it exit on the side or on the backside?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i was looking at this same exhaust myself for a future mod,and would go with the same kit kit since i am also in new york.can i ask why you had to get new nuts and bolts? had a corsa on my old double cab and it re-used the bolts from the oem exhaust to mount it up,do the stock bolts not work with the mbrp exhaust?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was looking at this same exhaust myself for a future mod,and would go with the same kit kit since i am also in new york.can i ask why you had to get new nuts and bolts? had a corsa on my old double cab and it re-used the bolts from the oem exhaust to mount it up,do the stock bolts not work with the mbrp exhaust?
Mine were extremely rusty, threads on bolts were not even visible anymore.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently bought a used 2011 Crewmax, and it has an MBRP exhaust (I am guessing that is the brand, based on the MBRP logo I see stamped into the exhaust tip) on it. Looks almost identical to your setup.

It sounds great.....EXCEPT.....I have a terrible drone at 1,700-1,800 rpms. It is bad during normal driving, but is even worse when towing.

I towed my snowmobile trailer this past weekend, and the drone is unbearable. I am now on the hunt for a replacement muffler (and yes, I know about the BAM muffler setup, but I am also cheap!).

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
You can cancel the drone by installing a Helmholtz resonator into the tailpipe. This is just a piece of 26" long exhaust tube "T"ed into the tailpipe between the differential and spare tire. The tube should be capped off at the opposite end.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just got back from the local muffler shop.

I had them swap out the MBRP muffler for a Flowmaster 50 Series.....ah.....the sweet sound of silence. My ears are no longer bleeding from the resonating.

I used Flowmaster stainless muffler 8524553.

Super 50 Series (SUV) 2.25IN(D)/3.00OUT(C); ea 409S Stainless [8524553] - $137.94 : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

Still has a nice rumble to it, but no drone at any rpm levels.

Cost $131 for the muffler from Amazon, and $55 for the shop work.

Kept the MBRP pipes...the shop just fabbed two small spacers that they welded to the muffler, and bolted the flowmaster in place of the old one.

Cost $131 for the muffler from Amazon, and $55 for the shop work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts