Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to "step it up" real soon..:eek:. Does anyone have any experience with any MBC for Turbos that you had experience with in other turbo vehicles? I'm looking for recommendations. I found this deluxe Hallman Pro RX Boost Controller with an optional Cockpit Cable. This MBC goes up in .5lb increments up to 5lbs. Pls chime in if you had a favorite MBC. I'm not looking for an Electric BC, thx!:)

Here's a link to the "Hallman Pro RX"
Applications
-
-

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 300zx TT that I did run a ebay mbc (sucks) very inconsistent. I switched to a Turbosmart mbc and worked pretty good. I had some minimal boost spikes and ultimately switched to a EBC because of the better control

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for your feedback. What size was your turbo and the what lb boost were your boosting to? What kind of spikes were you getting? And.. Does the EBC need to hook up to the cars computer/electronics? That's where I'm stumped and just going to try the MBC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the ebc and mbc hook up basically the same except the ebc has a solenoid. They both run of vaccum and I tee them in with my FPR. When I was using the ebay one it would spike to 25psi and settle around 17-18 at redline. When I switched to the turbosmart mbc is spiked but not as much and held boost better...for ex.. spike to 23psi settle 20-21. This was running garrett T28 turbos. I switched to a turbosmart e-boost street ebc and where ever you tell it to boost to is stays put. Its $300 and its a great unit, look it up it has great features of more expensive ebc and works with out a hitch.

just fyi, i'm upgrading to GTX2863 units and will continue to use this boost controller

BOOST CONTROLLERS

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, huge learning curve! Thanks for your referrals. I think I'll try the MBC I was eyeing and return it if it spikes..
Its cool you have a Z to modify. Do you take it out to the tracks (curious what times)?
-
War Story here>>>Just last month a really nice lowered 300Zx, body kit, custom pearl paint job came up to me at the light at 1am.. I couldn't resist and I reved at it. Light turn green to the hwy, he started out really slow as I drove normal and passed it up.. THEN I saw it coming up..so on a 40-50mph roll I went WOT and smoked him to 100..he backed down, but went for round 2. This time I had him by two lengths until I hit 115 (dam speed limiter) and he then passed me into the darkness-lol.. He raced the wrong Tundra that night-L:eek:L..later I found out that dude had some TTs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the boost controllers are easy stuff especially with your skill level. If it where me a EBC would be the only way I would go just for the reassurance of control you get. Is more of a weekend toy for me, on my last setup I made 541rwhp and 482rwtq at 21psi on a dynodynamics dyno. I have never taken to the track so not sure what it can do. On this new motor and all the porting and GTX turbos I'm looking for 600+ on 93 and going to 30psi on q16 which should net close to 800, Oh did I mention its a convertible!!:lol5:

I'm sure your truck is quick, but if you come across a modded Z with bigger that stock turbos you'll be in for a good fight! :D

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no return once you start upping the boost. You'll turn into a boost junkie lol.
That's what I'm afraid of -lol.. That EBC is already tempting if I get any spikes on my MBC..
What boost controller are you using in your other toyota?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had decent luck with the Turbosmart 'boost t'. Using a 7 blade billet Forced Performance HTA 3582r.

If you are wanting the mother of all boost controllers check out the AMS 1000 (what I am using) and Seb has just released the AMS 2000 after a LOOOOGGGG time waiting.
These are far from manual, and....far from cheap!!!!!

Good luck

~JH

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm running an Apexi AVCR in my Toyota Tercel. Hope the little 1.3 L motor holds up to 20 psi. Hope to get it to run in the 12s this winter.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I ran a MBC on my STS Turbo 02 Camaro. It was ok, but from everything ive read EBC is way better at actually controlling boost as GrayCrew mentioned. I put down 537hp/634tq (around 620/740 on a dynojet) at 8 psi on a mustang dyno and that wasn't even a full run. My car popped a valve cover gasket at 4900 rpm due to a faulty PCV. The dyno graph was still climbing steeply as the tuner put it lol. Man I miss that car. I think a boost spike took my PCV out.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your Camaro's numbers, like the ZX above are badass. What size turbo was on that and why did you let it go?
I already feel like swapping to a EBC and my MBC is coming on Monday..-lol

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Your Camaro's numbers, like the ZX above are badass. What size turbo was on that and why did you let it go?
I already feel like swapping to a EBC and my MBC is coming on Monday..-lol
You'll love a turbo on a v8 with the 5.7. That's what the camaro was.... Makes more TQ than the smaller displacement engines.

I had a 67mm turbo. Had a kid and we had 4 vehicles. Got rid of the Saturn sky Redline and the Camaro. Didn't have time to do the rest if the changes I wanted. I was almost ready to put a Ford 9 inch rear end in it. It was a quick car... You could hammer it on the interstate at 70 and smoke the tires if you wanted lol

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stroked..
Your Camaro had a STS remote turbo w/ a 5.7L and ran it at 8psi? Way cool.. what tuner did you use?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Stroked..
Your Camaro had a STS remote turbo w/ a 5.7L and ran it at 8psi? Way cool.. what tuner did you use?
Diablosport handheld programmer with Custom tune by Amazon Tuning in SC. I was amazed at the custom settings the guy tuned on that thing. Too bad nobody has really unlock the Tundra ECU.

1/2 throttle pull in 2nd gear. Watch it lift the front towards the end of the video even though it had chains holding it down. No lag on the STS either haha.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
cheap, fast & reliable.. you can only pick two jim ;) do it once & do it right

1 - 16 of 16 Posts