Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, but not to my 2003 Tundra. I bought my 2wd SRD V-8 access cab in 2005 with 46K miles on it. It is beautiful, leather, sunroof, alloys, skidplate in front, etc. but it now has 133,000 (trouble free) miles on it.

I am 65 years old and to me that sounds like a LOT of miles and I want a reliable truck for long trips, so I went looking at the new Tacomas (the new Tundras are too big for me). Well, my truck is nicer riding, faster and generally more comfortable than the new Tacoma double cab. I have decided to keep my beauty.

My question to everyone: I have done no major rapairs on this vehicle since it's purchase. What should I do now to give me piece of mind on long trips?

My Thoughts:

1. water pump
2. Timing belt
3. ??????

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I would change the fluid in the rear end. Keep it rolling easy. My father in law had a '86 Tacoma that Toyota made him sell back to them because the frame was rusted. 286,000 miles, all he ever did was brakes and alternator.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am new to this forum, but not to my 2003 Tundra. I bought my 2wd SRD V-8 access cab in 2005 with 46K miles on it. It is beautiful, leather, sunroof, alloys, skidplate in front, etc. but it now has 133,000 (trouble free) miles on it.

I am 65 years old and to me that sounds like a LOT of miles and I want a reliable truck for long trips, so I went looking at the new Tacomas (the new Tundras are too big for me). Well, my truck is nicer riding, faster and generally more comfortable than the new Tacoma double cab. I have decided to keep my beauty.

My question to everyone: I have done no major rapairs on this vehicle since it's purchase. What should I do now to give me piece of mind on long trips?

My Thoughts:

1. water pump
2. Timing belt
3. ??????
I had an 06 Double Cab before my 2012. At 100k I did timing belt, water pump (was leaking but couldn't see it due to plastic timing belt covers), upper and lower radiator hoses (I would maybe do a radiator too while you're doing the hoses) and lastly I replaced the spark plugs!

Hope that helps! :)

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
A BAMuffler from Dirty Deeds would make it feel new again.

In all seriousness, timing belt, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, rear end fluid change, trans fluid change. Some guys do the cam and crank seals when doing the timing belt job, wouldn't hurt to have those done too. I take it this is your first Toyota, 100k miles is what we call "just broken in". I met an old timer with over 340k miles on his Tundra, original motor and trans. He told me the only money he put into it aside from fluid changes and tires was the timing belt job every 90k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for these suggestions. I have always felt uncomfortable, regardless of make, with cars over 100K miles. This is, apparently, an unfounded concern, especially with Toyota (I also own a 2004 Lexus LS430 with 90K miles). Although I can afford a new truck I very much enjoy this Tundra and intend to keep it!

I will have this work done and thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts